Understanding The Barnes TSX Controversy

Ultimately it's all a question of impact velocity, although there should hardly be any problems with current small and medium caliber rifles. When it comes to big bore rifles and especially when it comes to the choice of suitable ammunition for double rifles, things can look completely different. If the involved double rifle moreover is an old and used rifle, the problem can become even more difficult.

Despite the fact that I also appreciate the Barnes bullets for many reasons, I remain of the opinion that for many big bore rifles and especially double rifles, you should primarily use classic SP bullets. Such statement leave some people outraged, but unfortunately that is so. These types of bullets are more suitable when the impact velocities are lower and due to the different jacket thickness, some are also suitable for older used double rifles. Nowadays we have enough premium SP bullets available for the big bore caliber classes. It is certain that Barnes TSX or Swift A-Frame bullets are superior to SP bullets, but they have to work as desired and not behave after impact like a frangible bullet or like a FMJ bullet.

I like Barnes bullets and have a few rifles that love them. I shoot a handloaded 100gr TTSX’s out of my 257Wby at astonishingly high velocities well over their factory loaded specs.

I’d suggest maybe looking into the metallurgical side of things. I have suspected something changed at some point in this, as I’ve seen differences in expansion, hit reaction, and wound channels from animals shot with the same gun and loading at very similar distances.

I suppose anything can happen. I’ve used Barnes in 6 calibers including the 500g in the .470. I’ve always had good expansion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbill

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]