Two weeks until I depart for Buffalo - Rate my rifle setup!

Just a dude in BC

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa
Hello All,

I have not even left yet, but I have already had a fabulous time building up this pair of rifles for the trip!

For my DG rifle I re-barreled a Ruger no.1 500 NE. It has a 26" IBI stainless match barrel (was meant to be a 50 BMG barrel But King Trudeau up in Canada banned those). Scope is a Leica Ampulus 1-6 (Which I quite like). And the stock is New Zealand walnut and ebony. I made this stock from scratch. The loads for it are 570gr Swift A-frame @ 2150. In this pic I was busy shooting some factory Hornady to get the brass. It really likes the Hornady, but it is giving me 2250fps and a hell of a wallop on the recoil. OH yes.... The muzzle break is just for sighting it in. I will not be hunting with that on it; just makes life a lot nicer when zeroing the irons and then the optic off a bench.

For my plains game I built up a Krieghoff Optima double rifle. Two barrels of 9.3x74r, and a 20ga shotgun. It is wearing a Leica 2.5-10. I finished the stocks on this rifle as well, but I had the smith do the inletting, as the inlet for it is more complicated than the ruger. Loads for it at 285gr northfork SS, at 2340fps.

Credit to Jakob Strasser out of Canada for the smith work.

1722272490118.png

I was taught if you did not have anything nice to say, say nothing at all. . .

. . . Looks like you are all set. . The 20 gauge option is also good in case you want to pop a couple birds on the way back to camp. Well done!

Yaa, i guess we can hunt together.:LOL:
They look good brother and I know they are both tack drivers in your hands.

I'm jealous. That's some beautiful walnut on those guns

In the words of Tweeder, " I give it a 9.5 and I still got wood!"

A "Solid" set up ! Best of luck.

Yes Sir (y)

Have a good time and good hunting

Can’t wait for the report when you get back

:D Beers:

No.1 DG- brave man, praying for good backup and/or good bullet placement! I love it, your double is for plains game.
His backup is another No 1 in 416 Rigby… and the PH’s double!

You're a man that knows what he likes,....they will most certainly getr' done.

Hunted buffalo with friends many years ago and one of the guys had a Ruger No. 1 in .458 Lott. Backup shots are slower, so I would recommend lots of dry-fire practice unloading an empty case and reloading a dum-dum round. You won't want to be fumbling to get a round into the chamber under that scope and into battery.

Make that first shot count and you won't have any worries. :)

Both rifles look amazing. Congratulations on fine work.

Ed Z

Very nice set up, all that's missing is a gun bearer.

Nice rifles. What part of Africa will you be hunting?
South Africa with Dave Freeborn Safaris.
Hunted buffalo with friends many years ago and one of the guys had a Ruger No. 1 in .458 Lott. Backup shots are slower, so I would recommend lots of dry-fire practice unloading an empty case and reloading a dum-dum round. You won't want to be fumbling to get a round into the chamber under that scope and into battery.

Make that first shot count and you won't have any worries. :)

Both rifles look amazing. Congratulations on fine work.

Ed Z
I build a set of sticks (you can kind of see them in the back of the pic). So for practice my friend and I have a setup with an 8" plate at 100, and a 4" plate at 25. Our typical routine is:
1) Sticks are setup but I am off the sticks waiting
2) He says buffalo
3) I then have 3-4 seconds to get onto the sticks and hit the 8" plate.
4) I then try to extract, new round, and hit the 4" plate at 25 yards in 5 ish seconds.
It forces you to take up a position on the sticks, hit, recover from recoil, then adjust to a new target (closer to simulate a charge), and hit that.
5) We then switch and he takes a turn.

It's a lot of fun, but you can't go do it for an afternoon with a 500, you need a break after a few sets lol.

If it is the rifle with which you can make the most accurate first shot at a buffalo with a 300 gr premium bullet or heavier, it will be fine. Some of those shots at seventy or so in the thick stuff will offer a less than 8 inch plate for a target.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jennifer10

Latest profile posts

booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Christensen MPP 308 w/o brace
CZ 1012 12 ga
Tokarev TBP 12ga Bull Pup
Stoeger M3000 12ga
Springfield Prodogy 9mm
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Hello Wesley, on your M70 .416 do you only want cash or are you interested in trades?
gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.