Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Nam, Zam, Zim,RSA (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, NZ, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
My wife and I recently did a tour of western Turkey, the 7 Churches of the Apocalypse. Very impressed with Turkey, very clean, excellent airports (we were in 3 different airports), excellent roads. Turkey has experienced 50% inflation the past couple years, so the dollar goes far.

We flew Turkish Air b-class from DFW to IST (Istanbul), a 12 hour flight. Very impressed, although the food offerings were very Mediterranean. Nice ride in a 787. When we were coming back, I noticed the adjacent gates were flights to Houston and Atlanta. All 3 flights departing around 2pm in IST and arriving in the US around 7pm. Two flights a day out of IAH and DFW. Long layover in IST, if continuing onto JNB. Airport in IST is new and very nice.

So I got to thinking and looking at Turkish Air's website and flight offerings. Could be a viable option to JNB. Other destinations include Lusaka and Harare. Not sure about guns.

BTW, I learned that Turkey is now Turkiye, and is pronounced "Tur-kia." I asked if that was because they were now sponsored by a Korean car company, but the humor was lost in the translation.

1728693812034.png
1728694414891.jpeg
1728694468590.jpeg

1728694794250.jpeg

Interesting facts I learned about the columns: Sections were assembled and the fluting work occurred after they were all stacked. Greek columns had 24 flutes, or 15 degrees each. Roman columns had 36 flutes, 10 degrees each. Smooth columns were unfinished or incomplete. Earthquakes took their toll on many of these structures. In later years, Greek monolithic columns were made in Athens and shipped everywhere.

1728694890536.jpeg

1728694985209.jpeg

Guns are a piece of cake on Turkish. But the gun fee is not - $250 each way.

Great vacation photos. Look like a great time.

Last edited:
I’m flying Turkish to JNB in December and taking advantage of their stop over program

Guns are a piece of cake on Turkish. But the gun fee is not - $250 each way.

Great vacation photos. Look like a great time.
Is that $250 per gun or per gun case? If taking two rifles, that would add $1k for a round trip. B-class to JNB is $2-3k cheaper than Delta.

I’m flying Turkish to JNB in December and taking advantage of their stop over program
I saw the "Stop over" option on the Turkish Air website. Is that one free night in a hotel? The new airport is quite far out of town. Cabs are very clean and appear to be safe to use. Drivers on the freeway all seemed to behave and drive according to the speed limits.

Turkish is a good airline and yes it is an option to get most anywhere with guns. What a wonderful trip yall experienced!

Is that $250 per gun or per gun case? If taking two rifles, that would add $1k for a round trip. B-class to JNB is $2-3k cheaper than Delta.
I've never asked. I only travel with one gun and one case.

Looks like an amazing trip, thanks for posting. The pictures are fascinating.

I flew Turkish Airlines in 2023. Did not do stop over due to uncertainty of claiming guns to go to hotel. How does this process work? Going back this coming summer

Sounds like you had a great vacation. Nice pictures. Good to know info on Turkish air.
Bruce

We flew Turkish several years ago, but had bows. We had to gather our luggage and pull batteries out. Never had problems on any airline. Our last trip was on Virgin Atlantic, as long as paperwork was done, there are no problems.

Apparently, the very first Buc-ee's was in Ephesus.

1728746303561.png

1728746262742.jpeg

Looks like a great trip. Thanks for the report. I’ve considered Turkish to JNB. Don’t care for the gun fee…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HansByers9

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.