Truck - what do you drive, and why?

I'd be interested in knowing from this elite group of truck owners, their thoughts on a few maintenance issues. It seems whenever I take my truck into the dealer for something, they print out a long list of recommended maintenance items. I come from a generation of changing out spark plugs every year or so (due to leaded gas) and remember when mufflers only lasted 3-5 years. Stuff lasts a lot longer now!

The question I have has to do with front and rear differential lube, transfer case and transmission. Regularly changing motor oil is a given. I am a believer in changing out the transmission fluid, at least once in the life of owning a truck. The other lubes, I'm not so sure. I've looked at YouTube videos on the subject and learned a few things. Most rear differentials don't have a drain plug. Rear differentials have a magnet inside the bottom of the housing. The magnet serves to collect and hold metal particles and theoretically keep the lube clean. Videos show pulling the cover off a rear differential and a muddy, grease like goo is on the magnet. The front differential and transfer case do have a drain bolt (on GMC). The drain bolt is magnetic and the metallic goo can simply be wiped off. If I were towing or hauling heavy loads, I could see doing differentials and transfer case more frequently (30k to 50k miles). Since I use my truck just to run around in and occasionally haul stuff, I am thinking if I service these items once, I am probably good for quite awhile.

Thoughts and comments are appreciated.
The differentials probably have synthetic oil in them which will last a long time. I would change them at whatever the owners manual says or every fifty or hundred thousand miles. And of course after any submersion that may happen.
My 95 ford owners manual says to not even change the differential oil unless it has been submerged. But mine gets changed every year.
I bet at least half of all differentials got to their grave with the original oil.

The fact that JEEP isn't at the bottom of this list negates its validity to me, I've literally had 5 times the amount of trouble with Jeeps as anything else I've ever driven, and I drive 35k miles a year for the last 25 years

It's been 36 years since I've owned a Jeep. It was the newest vehicle that I had ever owned and, considering it's age at the time, it was the worse vehicle I've ever owned.

The differentials probably have synthetic oil in them which will last a long time. I would change them at whatever the owners manual says or every fifty or hundred thousand miles. And of course after any submersion that may happen.
My 95 ford owners manual says to not even change the differential oil unless it has been submerged. But mine gets changed every year.
I bet at least half of all differentials got to their grave with the original oil.
My 2002 Ford manual said to change the diff fluid at 150K. Really? I changed it at 100K.

I prefer a manual transmission and as little electrical computer controlled do dads as I can get. Rollup and down windows tool box in the box. Crew or club cab. Something I don't worry about scratching or denting. I prefer a bit of mud on it also maybe some blood in the box.

The fact that JEEP isn't at the bottom of this list negates its validity to me, I've literally had 5 times the amount of trouble with Jeeps as anything else I've ever driven, and I drive 35k miles a year for the last 25 years
I must have been one of the lucky ones. I bought a used Jeep Wrangler with about 50k Drove it for 6-7 years and 150k+ more miles with nothing more than standard maintenance. Easiest vehicle I ever owned for doing my own work on it.

Then I traded it in for half of what I paid for it. Those things hold value incredibly well.

Much to @cash_tx chagrin… I’m now the owner of a 2024 Toyota tundra limited…

I was actually surprised how willing they were to not screw around and simply give me a bottom line number… we did 1 round of what’s your best price that was followed by me telling them “you’re not even close”… we’re far enough apart we probably should stop now….

Which was responded to 5 minutes later that was a price I was willing to pay.. (a bit below what I believe is normally offered based on what I could find online)…

Thanks for all the inputs and advice… I think it’s always better to hear from actual owners than just to read random reviews and articles online.. you guys were most helpful!
Congratulations Dave. I have purchased 4 Toyota Tundras over the years (all used) and my kids still drive 3 of them. Great trucks and very dependable.

The only problems I have with getting a diesel truck:

Lack of knowledge on repairing one if/when something breaks at the worst possible time in the worst possible places.

Costs associated with repairs and regular maintenance.

Waking up on a frosty cold morning in the deep woods and the engine doesn't start because the glow plug wasn't plugged in or is burnt out. Previous experience (circa 1980's) with a girlfriend's car during a Michigan winter.
Glow plugs have been replaced by grid heaters a long time back... Diesel trucks are very common now, unlike 25 yrs ago.

Currently have newer, old and older. each with it's function in life. A plow truck, an old sliverado, a crew cab 2500HD dura max for hauling equipment trailers. and almost new now, got it new, 3500 HD dura max for pulling fifth wheel and it rides nice so love it's creature comforts. Hope I don't need to buy another, guess time will tell.

I'd be interested in knowing from this elite group of truck owners, their thoughts on a few maintenance issues. It seems whenever I take my truck into the dealer for something, they print out a long list of recommended maintenance items. I come from a generation of changing out spark plugs every year or so (due to leaded gas) and remember when mufflers only lasted 3-5 years. Stuff lasts a lot longer now!

The question I have has to do with front and rear differential lube, transfer case and transmission. Regularly changing motor oil is a given. I am a believer in changing out the transmission fluid, at least once in the life of owning a truck. The other lubes, I'm not so sure. I've looked at YouTube videos on the subject and learned a few things. Most rear differentials don't have a drain plug. Rear differentials have a magnet inside the bottom of the housing. The magnet serves to collect and hold metal particles and theoretically keep the lube clean. Videos show pulling the cover off a rear differential and a muddy, grease like goo is on the magnet. The front differential and transfer case do have a drain bolt (on GMC). The drain bolt is magnetic and the metallic goo can simply be wiped off. If I were towing or hauling heavy loads, I could see doing differentials and transfer case more frequently (30k to 50k miles). Since I use my truck just to run around in and occasionally haul stuff, I am thinking if I service these items once, I am probably good for quite awhile.

Thoughts and comments are appreciated.
Speak to your transmission person about changing the oil. Despite the fact the iffy lube places highly recommend it, most builders will tell you all it does it free up sludge and guarantee failure. This is something that has to be done frequently over the life of the transmission or NOT at all. Doing it after 150k for the first time is already too late, and likely a mistake. Read the owners manual carefully. The metals and machining are not the same, and the rules for a 1968 truck and a 2017 truck are not remotely the same. Load doesn't matter nearly as much as conditions. Driving around in dust with no load is worse than driving extended highway miles in nice conditions pulling a trailer.

I must have been one of the lucky ones. I bought a used Jeep Wrangler with about 50k Drove it for 6-7 years and 150k+ more miles with nothing more than standard maintenance. Easiest vehicle I ever owned for doing my own work on it.

Then I traded it in for half of what I paid for it. Those things hold value incredibly well.

Had a couple wranglers, they seem built a little better than the cherokees and wagoners. My longest mileage experience was with grand cherokees and I wouldn’t buy another one of those if they offered to give me one.

Both things can be true. A quick look at JD Power or some such shows Jeeps are maintenance nightmares, which isn't to say you may never have an issue. On the other hand, they are popular as the only remaining ladder frame vs unibody. I never really got Jeeps, personally. A factory truck does anything a factory Jeep does and much more, and without the shitty driving qualities.

IMHO the Jeep cool factor ends up being a much higher weight than build quality for buyers.

Last edited:
Land Cruiser 79 Double Cab 2013 model.

IMG_1245.JPG

Good Lookin‘ Pup. :)

Spoiled only child, but he has his moments when he doesn’t confuse a pigeon with a tennis ball

2019 Tundra. Cab space, reliability and all old out of date well proven technology, it's perfect because everything works. Were I to do it again, I'd look for a 16 - 18 to have the better transmission cooler and still have the 38 gallon gas tank.

One thing that I do like about Chevrolets/GMC is the lack of a high step to get in, but you still get the same ground clearance.

My uncle has a 1500 Z71 and it has been a great truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
XeroAxis

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]