Trophy - The Film

Caught it yesterday on my cable companies Video on Demand section. As stated, the "other hunter" left a lot to be desired. In the "keeping it real section", my wife was not pleased about why a quicker follow up on the meat elephant hunt didn't occur. Not judging, just an observation. Her comment, "if it was a meat hunt why didn't they get a second shot to the head."

Thanks for putting yourself out there.

The biologist might be our strongest resource- he made a lot of sense !!!

Last edited:
Just rented on Amazon.. will be sitting down with the wife to watch after dinner... really looking forward to seeing this...

Great film. On cnn Sat. Jan. 14 at9:00 pm eastern. @PhillipGlass . I have a question When will your interview on cnn be?

Thanks, Tom

It is still being determined but I believe that Friday on 10am show and maybe others. They are organizing my travel plans now so I’ll know more later. Don’t know what to expect but just have to be prepared for anything!
Thanks
Philip

Watched the movie yesterday. Very well done- I felt it gave a more balanced look at wildlife and hunting than I expected.

Regarding the other hunter, I think it was actually important to include him. He is the stereotype that anti and non hunters often think of. Showing them and then showing you, as the well researched, ethical, and emotionally connected with the animals hunter- it's an important contrast to highlight. I could see a non-hunter seeing how you hunt and finding that to be acceptable conduct even if hunting isn't for them. Equally, everyone can observe those other hunters and see how thier conduct is wrong.

Yes you are right and that is what I found at the film festivals. They actually treated me fairly well after the film and maybe that contrast is what does it for them. Thanks for being part of the discussion!
Philip

I had some of the officers onboard watching it with me last night.

The general consensus was very positive towards the sustainable utilization of our natural resources. Some comments were obviously made on some of the scenes that are controversial in the film.

Not that it is any official measure of the view from the whole world, but the officers were from:
Norway, Venezuela, Croatia, USA, Canada, Israel, Grenada, Italy and then me originally from Sweden.
Everybody had something to say and we all agreed that the movie raises a lot of questions.
It was a good discussion afterwards and nobody left untouched.

//Gus

The wife and I both enjoyed Trophy. There were certainly some things said and done that I disagree with (as others have mentioned, the other hunter grated me the wrong way, among other things).. But I think it showed about as non-biased a presentation of the facts and opposing views as could they could have and just let the cards fall where they may.. I can appreciate that..

As for your part Phillip.. Well Done! I think you represented "us" exceptionally well... I appreciate that also..

Update: DVD Sales will begin 3/6/18

The wife and I both enjoyed Trophy. There were certainly some things said and done that I disagree with (as others have mentioned, the other hunter grated me the wrong way, among other things).. But I think it showed about as non-biased a presentation of the facts and opposing views as could they could have and just let the cards fall where they may.. I can appreciate that..

As for your part Phillip.. Well Done! I think you represented "us" exceptionally well... I appreciate that also..
Thanks mdwest and glad ya'll enjoyed it!

Caught it yesterday on my cable companies Video on Demand section. As stated, the "other hunter" left a lot to be desired. In the "keeping it real section", my wife was not pleased about why a quicker follow up on the meat elephant hunt didn't occur. Not judging, just an observation. Her comment, "if it was a meat hunt why didn't they get a second shot to the head."

Thanks for putting yourself out there.

The biologist might be our strongest resource- he made a lot of sense !!!
Can't disagree with your wife. She sounds like a sharp lady and knows what she is talking about.

Can't disagree with your wife. She sounds like a sharp lady and knows what she is talking about.

Good God man !!! You cant say things like that about my wife. You don't know her !!!! :LOL::ROFLMAO:(y):D:eek:

I watched the film last night - it's for sale and rent on Amazon Video.

My thoughts -

A few exchanges resonated with me, and I feel that there was an opportunity to dive deeper into a couple of issues. One such moment was when the gentleman from "Born Free" during his debate with John Hume - the rhino rancher - talks about a vision of nature as "contained, confined, commercialized and counterfeit" if Hume, and others like him, are able to monetize the wildlife.

I've got news for him. Whether you monetize the wildlife to a greater degree or not, the containment, confinement, commercialization of the wild lands has already happened and will continue to accelerate due to staggering demographic trends. In 1950, the population of the continent was 229 million people. In 1990, it was 630 million people. Today, it is over 1.2 billion people . . . average age - 19.5 years old. There are twice as many people in Africa today compared with less than 30 years ago competing for the same resources - and they are young.

Go to any national park or reserve in Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, SA and to a lesser extent Namibia, Zambia and Zimbabwe and you already see the encroachment of people into traditional bush country in irreversible ways, and plenty of locals peddling cheap trinkets a notch below what you'd find at Disney World. With the exception of maybe Botswana, these parks don't exist as true wilderness areas today like they did even 30 years ago. And unlike deer in the US, the animals that spill over into the growing towns and villages are apex predators or massive creatures that have the potential to kill people and destroy property.

Chris Moore, the anti-poaching officer in Zimbabwe was an absolute star to me, because he had empathy for the local people and the animals. It's very easy from the comfort of our homes and offices in the West to say that Africans should protect lions, elephant and the rest of the amazing wildlife their continent is blessed with. It's a harder argument when you consider the subsistence farmer who has just had his or her field destroyed by elephant, his cattle killed by lion, or a child killed by hippo. They want just as much a life for themselves and their family as we do. They want food on the table, a roof over their head, and some measure of peace, comfort and happiness. Quite frankly, most that I've met in my travels - outside of the tourist hubs - don't give a damn about the animals unless they benefit themselves, their families or their communities. The movie spent some time on this point, and I feel you could dive way deeper into the challenges the average rural African faces each day and how that puts pressure on the wildlife.

The other main issue that I would have liked to see addressed is the demand for illicit goods. Where does it come from? To watch the movie, you'd almost think Americans and Canadians were grinding horn. China, Japan, Taiwan and Vietnam dominate the rhino horn trade, and that was not touched upon to any degree. Those lands, with the exception of Japan, are all getting richer. We can wish that a few billion people suddenly decide that rhino horn isn't medicinal, but it is pure fantasy to truly believe that demand is going to stop any more than we think American's will stop drinking alchohol. Asia has money . . . and growing power. Their beliefs and preferences will dominate the next 100 years like Europeans and Americans have the last few hundred.

Last point, when there is a ban, criminals always will move in to fill the vacuum. Look at prohibition in the USA ... Conservationists (and I include hunters in that group) need to decide if they want to deal with John Hume, rhino rancher or a local 15 year old kid with no education poaching with a rusty old Kalashnikov.

As for me, I couldn't hunt elephant or a lion for that matter. That's one of many lines for me. But some people will, and I have no issue with that if it is done with the health and vitality of the population in mind. And history and human nature proves that when you put a price on a head, it adds immediate value to the communities that have to live with those animals. A farmer may be glad for the poacher that kills off an elephant - or all of them for that matter - but he may think very differently if his village has now lost tens of thousands of dollars or revenue. It's a tough issue.

As for your part @Philip Glass - wow, you put yourself out there in a way I wouldn't have the courage to do, and I think you represented hunters well. I'll include you and your family in my prayers, because it's a safe bet you are going to feel a lot of heat.

And that other hunter, enough has been said about him, but he did offer a contrast to Mr. Glass and let's face it - guys like him do exist.

Overall, it was a great movie. Tough to watch in places but well worth the time and - I think - mostly fair.

Last edited:
Thank you flat8 for your thoughts on the film. Excellent points!
Philip

You are 100% right. The animal rights activists would rather they be extinct than private owners have them or any animals. They are communists!
Philip

Not exactly. They would rather have them on the verge of extinction. That way, they can fund raise off the plight of the animals. They don't make money fund raising off animals that are already extinct.

Not exactly. They would rather have them on the verge of extinction. That way, they can fund raise off the plight of the animals. They don't make money fund raising off animals that are already extinct.
Yes they are good at fundraising and not much good at anything else. I will be on CNN January the 12th on the morning show and then again that evening debating the CEO of Born Free USA. That will be interesting!
Philip

Spot on. Every problem in Africa (and most of the world) has an NGO profiting from it.

Yes they are good at fundraising and not much good at anything else. I will be on CNN January the 12th on the morning show and then again that evening debating the CEO of Born Free USA. That will be interesting!
Philip
Good luck.

Remember the goal is to win in the court of public opinion, not necessarily to defeat the opposing debater!

I am not a media expert, but the most dangerous witnesses in a courtroom are the ones that make eye contact with their audience (judge or jury). If you lock eyes with the CEO or the moderator you are only talking to him. If you can, give your honest answers to the audience.

Good luck, and enjoy the challenge!

Wearing a coat? If so, you sit on it so the top of your coat does not bunched up. Wearing a watch, it goes the pants pocket. No jewelry other then a wedding ring. Listen to the question and your opponents answer before answering. Watch videos of the guy, looking for they type of question he gets asked and have your answer down to those questions. Don't deviate from your answers. You can't be pinned down when your answer includes the modifier - generally. If they want anything written, make it one long sentence, that way they have to use ellipses to try to mis-quote you. Hope those tips help.

Good luck.

Remember the goal is to win in the court of public opinion, not necessarily to defeat the opposing debater!
That is a very good point! I can hammer him to pieces but what will that do for us. Have to tactful and factual and then see where the discussion goes.

Wearing a coat? If so, you sit on it so the top of your coat does not bunched up. Wearing a watch, it goes the pants pocket. No jewelry other then a wedding ring. Listen to the question and your opponents answer before answering. Watch videos of the guy, looking for they type of question he gets asked and have your answer down to those questions. Don't deviate from your answers. You can't be pinned down when your answer includes the modifier - generally. If they want anything written, make it one long sentence, that way they have to use ellipses to try to mis-quote you. Hope those tips help.
Yes thanks. I've not been on TV in an long time and never nation wide. Feel free to PM me if you think of other points to consider.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muslimmarriageevents

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia