Trophy Room Questions

Are you going to have a fireplace in the room? If so, consider some type of natural stone. I put this fireplace at one end of my room and it’s the spot that gets the most attention.

View attachment 543708
That looks awesome! How wide is the top section of the fireplace? I like how the three elk look in this layout.

I think the builder mentioned a 4/12 pitch (I believe this is 4 inches per foot). Do you think this is too flat?

IMO, yes. I would see if he can give you an virtual of the room and see for yourself.

That looks awesome! How wide is the top section of the fireplace? I like how the three elk look in this layout.
I’m going from memory but as I recall the lower section is 16’ across, while the upper section is 12’ across. The firebox is 6’ wide. Roof pitch is 9 in 12 (4 in 12 is pretty damn flat), ceiling height at peak is 24’. Walls are 13’ high, if I was doing it again I’d go 14’.

The stone is Colorado Moss Rock. It’s sandstone slabs covered in lichens.

I just booked my second trip to Africa, and my first round is at the taxidermist. Time to decide where everything will go.

Fortunately, I need a home office, so I'd like to build something for double-duty. This is what I have so far:
1. 25 feet wide by 45 feet long.
2. 19 feet side walls (cathedral ceilings at 24 feet at highest point). I need the height to attach a lean-to for RV storage.

This will be my first taxidermy. I'm thinking that the tall walls should give me enough room for two rows of trophies. A bottom row for small/medium animals (think wildebeest, impala, etc...) starting about 9 feet high with a top row for larger animals (think big kudu, elk, etc...) starting about 12-13 feet high. Does this sound right? I don't want the animals to be "lost" so high in the room.

Also, does anyone know of flexible LED lighting or strips that could be installed now and moved later? I've heard that lighting is critical.

Based on other threads I've found, I'll hang plywood behind the drywall.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.
I have a trophy room and have a strong desire to add on to it. Your dimensions sound adequate. The lighting thing can not be overlooked. I have studied this after doing it wrong the first time. You will want perimeter lighting first of all Along each wall. Traditionally this would be recessed can lights properly spaced out and suitable to how you envision the trophies being laid out. Then you will want many spotlights on tracks that are customizable To light up each animal. There are so many lighting choices these days I would not know where to start but these are the principal Ideas.
If we do have someone in the forum that is a lighting expert (there is such a thing!) it would be great to learn more.
Philip

I would make just your lower mounts wall pedistal mounts. This way they do not stick out into the room making people have to go around. Here are some pictures of mine in my 12x18 office

0BA2D95D-DB33-483E-B438-B410A8838995.jpeg
11C21C9F-536C-4F1A-B7EA-9E1D4308B289.jpeg
8F730A98-AD57-44F7-81DD-A791B7CFB093.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Your room dimensions sound "wishing" to many. My memory room is 34'L x28'W, 11' walls, cathedral ceiling with 18' ends. This was mandated by area codes, your lucky if you have a clean slate, no rules. I did as others state, read and educated myself on all I could before I started. I was also general contractor so had total oversight and "control" of build. I used all 2x6, 2x12 end pieces as blocking at what I expected to be correct heights, and used 5/8 OSB on all walls (shear force almost same as plywood, but cost was much less then), under drywall (sheetrock). Get the exact place of all blocking before sheathing, it really helps knowing a 2x12 is right behind anchoring that big heavy mount. I am no lighting expert and did not hire one, I did as most state, pots and tracks, all LED. Wall paint color is your choice, I went light sand, I was too scared room would be dark, now I see others paint on here and really like, the darker earth green on one wall will be my choice when time to repaint comes. I think my room is too clean looking.

The hardest part of a build is the unknown of what mounts will come. Bigger allows room to grow the memories. Also if life size are in the future knowing that standing on back leg grizzly bears, lion, and many others are really big and take up wall space as they stop shoulder hanging on walls for some height if placed on outside wall area.

Good luck on build, be sure to post us some pics.

MB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaraeHoove

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.