Trophy Debate

Whitetails are amazing in their adaptability. Control the predators and they will soon be at carrying capacity of their environment, even if it is right in the suburbs.... Somehow Wild Turkeys seem to have gotten almost to that same stage, at least in my neck of the woods.

I was at a employee management conference where a guy was extolling the virtues of wild Turkeys.... Explained how a wild turkey is one of the wiliest animals in the woods... And a domestic turkey is so dumb it can drown to death in a rainstorm by looking up at the rain with it's mouth hanging open!

He then went on to explain how to hire "Wild Turkeys" and avoid hiring the domestic ones, figuratively speaking of course.

But back to the point, some animals adapt very well and find ways to flourish and need to be controlled by man while others do not adapt so well and require completely different management schemes (mule deer?).

Where I live whitetails are a nuisance in the suburbs. I grew up hunting hundred of acres of creek bottoms and farm land. I see and kill as many deer now on a three acre plot as I do still hunting those hundred acre plots.

However the health of deer is not even comparable, these poor deer in the suburbs are no where hear as healthy due to over population. There is a browse line 6 feet high. It is really unbelievable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
diuwingame

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]