Trip Insurance - Is it really worth it for a hunting trip? Did you actually get them to pay out?

Sabre

AH senior member
Reaction score
I have gone on trips and hunting trips with and without different forms of insurance. Some medical type stuff, some rescue type, some just trip insurance in general.

I have never had to use it on a hunting trip before. My wife and I once had to use cancellation insurance before on a trip/flight to a reunion that was happening across the country. We very clearly met the requirements needed to be able to cancel and use the insurance. However, it was still a nightmare getting them to reimburse. I think in the end we were reimbursed at around 80% of the cost. But it took a lot of fighting and back and forth to get it approved even when it was a very clear cut case. That one and only time I actually needed to use it and happened to have it really put me off.

I would like to hear from people who have had trip insurance and needed to use it and how it went. Would also be nice to know companies that were easy to work with in the event of a problem arising with your trip.

It's easy to have it and never need to use it and say, "It's worth the cost to have peace of mind". As many adults know, getting an insurance company to make good on their promises when you actually need them is a whole other story.

I’d also be interested in hearing if anyone has actually collected on trip cancellation insurance for a hunt. I generally book Africa or Europe instead of North American hunts because rescheduling the same season is generally very flexible where in North America it isn’t. I can’t see the value in trip insurance on an African hunt when your deposit can generally always be applied to a future date and most costs are paid after the hunt finishes anyway. Airline credits are also generally good for a year on cancelled flights. Asking outfitters their rescheduling and cancellation policies before booking is more valuable than trip insurance to me.

I have lifetime Ripcord for evacuation only. Used it once and zero problems. Never paid the extra for trip insurance.

I have always led a charmed life when traveling--until there was the trip from Hell, with problems missing flights coming and going. On the return trip I was a full day late, and rerouted to Frankfurt to NJ to Chicago, then Dallas with layovers. The trip insurance refused to pay for meals with receipts and one measly T shirt to change into. Never even got reimbursed for those chump change items.
NOW...when we got off the first misdirected flight, there was a sign saying for people with trip insurance to go left and get the reschedule recorded---BUT, to do so would have meant missing the connecting flight altogether and I barely made it, running all the way. So a catch-22. No way to know if it would have made a difference anyway.
Wife and I often get trip cancellation insurance, but have never used it.

I've used Ripcord too for both evacuation and trip insurance. The first time was in October 2022 when I went to Uganda. Due to the Ebola outbreak we had to return to the USA through Atlanta. I was then on the hook for a flight home. Given the circumstances Ripcord (aka Redpoint) agreed to cover that cost. A bit of electronic paperwork was all that was needed. It took a month or two, but I did get reimbursed. In the end that reimbursement was about the same as I paid for the insurance, so it was a zero sum game.

I bought a policy again for my trip to Mozambique this past summer. I had no need to make a claim this time. But I wouldn't think of being in such a remote place without at least the evacuation insurance.

Unless required by outfitter I'm done with travel insurance, currently keeping track of 2 individuals getting a ridiculous runaround

Can you expand on the circumstances of the 2 people you know that are getting the runaround?

Yes, both had cancel for any reason one had a family emergency, child fractured neck day before flight. Other was new Mexico elk hunt and outfitters hunt lease was sold and lease not extended and basically no hunt available, constant runaround on both and both have pretty significant documentation and cooperation from all those involved

I've never "bought" cancellation insurance or trip insurance, but I get that coverage from my credit card company when I book my travels using them.

I did call my health insurance company and added on some additional coverages for my international trip this past spring and will do that again next year for my trip to RSA.

Yes, both had cancel for any reason one had a family emergency, child fractured neck day before flight. Other was new Mexico elk hunt and outfitters hunt lease was sold and lease not extended and basically no hunt available, constant runaround on both and both have pretty significant documentation and cooperation from all those involved

Thanks for providing more info. That was our experience as well when we tried to use it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b_reynolds_ak

Latest profile posts

Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles
Brian wrote on Skshyk's profile.
Thank for the laughing post! You have a keen sense of humour. I am usually able to just ignore those geniuses but this time I could not get past it. chuckle, Brian