AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
RSA
Apologies if this is already answered somewhere (I'm sure it is, but I couldn't find it)...

I've got a Buffalo and PG hunt scheduled for June/July next year in Cape RSA. Looking at flights, my best bet seems to be British Airways DFW to London to J-burg on single ticket, then South Africa Airlines JNB to Port Elizabeth for pickup.

The question I have is on the initial flight DFW to JNB. When I land in London (10 hour layover) will I have to collect my checked bags and go through Customs, then re-check to JNB? Or will they do the re-routing of checked bags, and I only go through customs with carry on stuff if I decide to leave the airport? With such a long layover, I'd consider making a 2-4 hour venture to a sight or two and have lunch outside of the airport with my carry on stuff in tow.

I do not intend to take my own rifles, I will hire one from PH/Outfitter. However I am leaning on taking my bow for some PG. Would there be any additional steps needed in London if I do take by bow versus leaving it at home?

Thanks in advance.

Not a answer to your question but if you have never been before and don't mind the layover and extra time that it will take then take your route.

But after flying over twice now I would fly the most direct flight that I could find. Right now that is Delta out of Atlanta. That 15 or so hour flight and then the second 1 1/2 hour flight will feel a lot better than going through London.

Apologies if this is already answered somewhere (I'm sure it is, but I couldn't find it)...

I've got a Buffalo and PG hunt scheduled for June/July next year in Cape RSA. Looking at flights, my best bet seems to be British Airways DFW to London to J-burg on single ticket, then South Africa Airlines JNB to Port Elizabeth for pickup.

The question I have is on the initial flight DFW to JNB. When I land in London (10 hour layover) will I have to collect my checked bags and go through Customs, then re-check to JNB? Or will they do the re-routing of checked bags, and I only go through customs with carry on stuff if I decide to leave the airport? With such a long layover, I'd consider making a 2-4 hour venture to a sight or two and have lunch outside of the airport with my carry on stuff in tow.

I do not intend to take my own rifles, I will hire one from PH/Outfitter. However I am leaning on taking my bow for some PG. Would there be any additional steps needed in London if I do take by bow versus leaving it at home?

Thanks in advance.
Wow I am surprised. Personally I do not like your flights based on my experience. Very surprised if using an agent like Travel Express that this is your best IT. I would think DFW on Delta to ATL two hours then Delta direct to JNB 14.5 hours overnight at say City Lodge then Airlink to final destination is your best bet. Just from my many Africa Safaries

Wow I am surprised. Personally I do not like your flights based on my experience. Very surprised if using an agent like Travel Express that this is your best IT. I would think DFW on Delta to ATL two hours then Delta direct to JNB 14.5 hours overnight at say City Lodge then Airlink to final destination is your best bet. Just from my many Africa Safaries

I second that.
I don't have as many trips as others. I have flown Delta 3 times, United 1 time, Qatar 2 times. This past trip was Delta out of Houston. I will do the direct route from now on with Delta. The extra travel time kills it for me as I get older.

I did a similar route, but from Houston. My luggage was checked to South Africa. Got a quick rainy day in London.

You will not go through customs, but you will go through immigration, If you wish to leave the airport. If you don’t wish to leave the airport just security. You will not collect your bags they will be checked through to JNB or your final destination, if it’s on the BA ticket

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies so far, it answers what I needed to know.

You are all correct it is not the optimal flight for time or efficiency. However, the 2 other guys I'm going with both travel for work a lot and wanted to go American Airlines (One World) to use miles and/or have status for upgrades or whatever perks they get. Of course, I could always just meet them at the end destination since I don't have any need for using a particular airline.

However, I did find the BA flights to be round trip $2500 Premium Economy with seat choice. Delta or United options with more direct flights are nearly double that, so it becomes a decision of saving time or money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelvinaQua

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg