www.tokoloshesafaris.info
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
Life Member Safari International, Life Members Dallas Safari Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Tanzania
We have several Hungarian hunter who need help in traveling from Hungary to Zimbabwe. The problem is they keep having their rifle seized while still in Europe.

Does any one have first hand knowledge of how to make this travel with Firearms possible.

Lon

According to my information (trip to Zimbabwe 2022) there is currently no possibility of importing sporting and hunting weapons from Europe to Zimbabwe (EU sanction) = the only option is to enter Zimbabwe via South Africa - stopover in Johannisburg (= check out and check in again - should be possible/doable with the help of a professional service provider at ...
Lon = Do you work with a European hunting tour operator? if not the Hungariens should ask an hunting operator which has Zimbabwe on his list for help - he will take money for the service but knows what to do ...

According to my information (trip to Zimbabwe 2022) there is currently no possibility of importing sporting and hunting weapons from Europe to Zimbabwe (EU sanction)
Can you provide some links to these sanctions?
is there possibility to travel to Zim via non EU countries, such as Bosnia and Herzegovina, or Serbia? Or they signed for same embargo? (they are all flattering EU policies, that affect their legislations)

I have buffalo on my wish list, and for this reason, (partly was this reason) I choose Caprivi for buffalo hunt, to avoid issues with my rifle in transit for Zim.
This is big issue, and I want to have no problems.

@Lon
Travelling from Serbia or Bosnia (non EU countries) might be possible solution, but this must be very much double checked. Serbia is bordering Hungary, and Bosnia is separated by thin land strip of Croatia. Basically, a neighborhood

A lot of this will depend on the actual wording of the individual country (country A) laws imposing the sanction. That said, it is likely that the sanction restricts the actions of the citizen of country A who travels to Zim with a firearm. It is unlikely to matter how many countries you travel through to get to Zim, the moment the citizen of country A takes a firearm into Zim he/she commits an offence against his home country's sanction laws. Will anyone notice? Maybe - maybe not - do you want to be the one in a hundred that gets caught?
If you desperately want to hunt in Zim, then consider renting a rifle from the PH and avoid the problem.

I believe they will need to book flights to SA and then seperate flights (on a different ticket) to Zim. If Zim is the final destination on the ticket they will not be able to travel with firearms due to the embargo.

Blaser Safari wrote in the German flyer for Zimbabwe 2022- "When carrying your own weapon - for organization and paperwork: from 350 USD"

It looks manageable for hunters from Germany. But I don't have my own experience.

Do we at least have some news links, of what happened to hunters caught on airport when travelling to Zim from another country? Somebody once gave news from Frankfurt airport, pax detained by police. But that is the only case I remember. Ever since, this story is coming back on the forum.
Moreover airlines should be aware of this issue, and could publish relevant rules.
So, all in all, I never saw an evidence of this.

I believe they will need to book flights to SA and then seperate flights (on a different ticket) to Zim. If Zim is the final destination on the ticket they will not be able to travel with firearms due to the embargo.

As said here.....original departing flight must show SA as destination...then separate ticket to zim.....legal or not :E Shrug:.....and the airlines know of the embargo which is why they won't allow you to fly with the firearms if ticket shows zim as final destination..they don't need to put any info out as they have no options to offer....

As I am looking for somewhere to hunt a buffalo Zimbabwe was naturally on my radar. I did a Google search a short while ago for” EU arms embargo to Zimbabwe “.
It appears from what I discerned that it is an embargo on military hardware to Uncle Bob’s despotic regime. However sporting firearms have fallen into the net.It is due to be reviewed in February 2024.

Same law applies to Canadian citizens who wish to fly with their rifles to Zimbabwe. There is an embargo prohibiting Canadians from bringing a firearm into Zimbabwe. I rent rifles when hunting in Zimbabwe. Travel without firearms is much simpler, and legal. The advice to split tickets and not show Zimbabwe as a final destination may prevent you from being caught, but it is still illegal. Stupid law, but ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveG585

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia