Tourist shot on the way to Kruger national park

The SA authorities must get this under control rapidly. One thing to be said for the Zimbabwe police, they catch murderers and rapists quickly and the rope gets used.
I was in Zim this year, I can't wait to go back again one day. Clearly you've had ups and downs over the years, and I could live without getting bombarded for trinkets on the street in VF, but for the most part never felt uncomfortable at all the whole time I was there. Actually feel more uncomfortable in most areas of Detroit when I go there for business LOL.

Maybe people don't like Germans anymore,....quite frankly it would be easy to understand why with their overall performance on the world stage......I say that somewhat jokingly guys...but if the shoe fits.

Very sad indeed. First and most importantly would be condolences to the victims of the incident. It is frustrating for us as South Africans to have these headlines going out to the international community. It is also true that crime happens everywhere and as mentioned above we cannot afford to let fear determine our decisions in life. South Africa is a fantastic place with so much to offer and unfortunately we have problems to work on, as does many other places in the world. I hope in all honesty that the perpetrators will be caught and that justice will prevail.

Crime happens everywhere but tourists have long been held sacrosanct. Even pilgrimages in hostile places like Mecca and Jerusalem when under Islamic control for the most part. Certainly more so in African countries depending on foreign currency influxes. It's about dollars and when that is no longer a deterrent, you know things have really gone south.
As a non-Muslim, you cannot visit Mecca.
The money changers have values of tens of thousands in various currencies pinned to their wooden walls.
Hundreds of thousands pass by at arm's length every month, not a single dollar is missing.
Imagine that for Chigao or Frankfurt.The banknotes would not stick for five minutes
@rjacobherman :in which country are you allowed to carry a handgun as a foreigner?????
@doug 3006:oh Jesus, South Africa is a haven of peace when you think of life in St. Louis.

Maybe people don't like Germans anymore,....quite frankly it would be easy to understand why with their overall performance on the world stage......I say that somewhat jokingly guys...but if the shoe fits.
Our overall performance keeps Europe alive, and you benefit from it too.
Without us, the EU would have had pneumonia long ago.
The debt liability for other countries alone means that they can still move.
I strongly recommend that our unworldly politicians take a holiday in St. Louis.

The Numbi Gate area has been an issue for some time now. Hijacking and general criminality etc has occurred there for several years. A known hot spot. But an isolated spot.

When you consider that it is one of the biggest tourist areas in the country (Kruger and surrounds) Numbi is tiny. But in saying that it has woken the local police force up and they are apparently going to sort the area out. Time will tell...

Much like other's have mentioned above, St Louis / Chicago is not the entire USA and Numbi isn't the whole of SA. Come and relax in SA, if the area you are in requires a sidearm you can bet the person you are with with have one. ;)

As a non-Muslim, you cannot visit Mecca.
The money changers have values of tens of thousands in various currencies pinned to their wooden walls.
Hundreds of thousands pass by at arm's length every month, not a single dollar is missing.
Imagine that for Chigao or Frankfurt.The banknotes would not stick for five minutes
@rjacobherman :in which country are you allowed to carry a handgun as a foreigner?????
@doug 3006:eek:h Jesus, South Africa is a haven of peace when you think of life in St. Louis.
Hello Foxi. It‘s appalling how violent crime has increased in STL and most other big cities in the US. Pushing God and morality aside, the lack of concerned parenting, and now the willful abdication of duty on the part of many prosecutors has had a terrible and predictable outcome.

I live in south St. Louis County where violent crime is practically unheard of. Very little of the forces I describe above are the case here and the results are again predictable. Low crime of most types and practically no homicides. The solutions are truly right in front of our faces, yet few leaders and residents in the high crime areas seem to know or care.

The first step in dealing with a problem is to recognize that it exists. Statements like "just go about your business as usual" or "everywhere has crime"...minimize the problem. Spiraling crime in RSA (or in Chicago) require planning and action on my part. One change for me, is that I will no longer rent a car and drive around RSA unaccompanied. People may hate you because you are German, or White or American or rich.....or they may just want money without working for it. But there is no justification. .............FWB

I live near St. Louis, where some of my rowdier neighbors last weekend decided to shoot the place flat! Something like a dozen people were shot, including some young kids. That makes 154 homicides in ‘22.
Chicagoans last weekend, not to be outdone, shot 34 of their fellow Illinoisans killing 5, including a 3-year old boy. That brings their death toll to 521 this year.
I’m looking forward to traveling to South Africa next June. I just hope they don’t close their borders to folks from St. Louis!
always the same people doing it

The first step in dealing with a problem is to recognize that it exists. Statements like "just go about your business as usual" or "everywhere has crime"...minimize the problem. Spiraling crime in RSA (or in Chicago) require planning and action on my part. One change for me, is that I will no longer rent a car and drive around RSA unaccompanied. People may hate you because you are German, or White or American or rich.....or they may just want money without working for it. But there is no justification. .............FWB
Agreed. “Be prepared” isn’t just a Scout slogan. But I believe that people should also apply some perspective. Is there risk in traveling to SA? You betcha. Am I at greater risk there than at home? I doubt it. I will manage my risk there like I do at home. For example I wouldn’t drive myself anywhere in SA. That’s the PHs job.

Personally I think most people are probably more at risk in familiar environments than places like South Africa. There are plenty of unstable nut jobs walking amongst you every day here in the US but most people let their guards down in familiar places. When you’re in unfamiliar areas, if you have any sense at all, you tend to be more situationally aware and plus if you’re with a PH they are also because your safety is their primary concern.

Why the German tourists? This is the third post just today involving them being shot/killed while on vacation. Very strange?
Funny you should mention that.

When I was in the crocodile areas of Australia, EVERY warning sign about crocs at the boat ramps were in English & German; I asked the locals about this and found their answers identical…..

“ I don’t know what it is mate, but the Germans always seem to make bad decisions.”

In every major city in the world there are areas where a tourist shouldn't go. The trick is to figure out where they are. Here in the states there are some pretty obvious "clues" but elsewhere if you're not a local it can be a little difficult to figure out.

In every major city in the world there are areas where a tourist shouldn't go. The trick is to figure out where they are. Here in the states there are some pretty obvious "clues" but elsewhere if you're not a local it can be a little difficult to figure out.
Numbi gate and the road approaching it through the township is definitely one of those places a tourist or even local should not go. We tried to access it last year but turned around and used Phabeni gate instead, much safer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheresaBra

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Here are an update on available dates for 2025

Hunting dates available 2025
1-18 March
2-10 April
17-26 April
13-24 May
2 -30 June
8-16 July
26 July - 7 August
23 August - 30 September
LIMPOPO NORTH SAFARIS wrote on RStien321's profile.
Dear RStien321

I noticed your thread this morning.

We would be thrilled to assit you as mentioned in my comment on your thread.

We as Limpopo North Safaris has numerous areas in limpopo that vary between 10 000 to 24 000 acres that we hunt that has all of the animals on your wish list furthermore we have great deal on cull buffalo cows and bulls.

Please let me know if you might be intrested.

Regards
Sampie
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia