Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
Gents, I’ve always heard that was the best to hand hunting trophies to, is this correct ? If so what would you use as far as a bolt for say a moose?

For something as large as a moose shoulder mount, I’d use a lag bolt screwed into a stud. I would not rely on any fastener screwed into the wallboard, regardless of its composition.

Gents, I’ve always heard that was the best to hand hunting trophies to, is this correct ? If so what would you use as far as a bolt for say a moose?
I have dry wall and no moose, but I do have a cape buffalo and a kudu hanging. A quarter inch by three inch (1/4x3") lag screw in a stud has held them securely for thirty years in this house and five years in my last house.

For something as large as a moose shoulder mount, I’d use a lag bolt screwed into a stud. I would not rely on any fastener screwed into the wallboard, regardless of its composition.
Yes I have a moose hung that way but my question is if using tounge and groove will that material be the best?

Yes I have a moose hung that way but my question is if using tounge and groove will that material be the best?
Given something as heavy as you are hanging, I would treat that tongue and groove as I would sheetrock. Make sure you hit a stud. Some tongue and groove milled for indoor application is significantly thinner than exterior siding. If it is a soft wood, such as pine, I certainly would treat it as nothing more than sheetrock and use a lag bolt into a stud.

With tongue and groove wood it is going to depend a lot on how thick it is and how it is connected to the wall. If it is glued down to drywall it might hold a large head if the wood is at least 1/4" thick. But if it is just ran across the studs I would want a stud behind it to get a solid anchor. Smart people who are building a trophy wall will place 3/4" plywood on the wall before any decorative wood or drywall over the top of it. My trophy wall consist of 1x6x 3/4 planks that I had on hand with 1/2" drywall over the planks.

With tongue and groove wood it is going to depend a lot on how thick it is and how it is connected to the wall. If it is glued down to drywall it might hold a large head if the wood is at least 1/4" thick. But if it is just ran across the studs I would want a stud behind it to get a solid anchor. Smart people who are building a trophy wall will place 3/4" plywood on the wall before any decorative wood or drywall over the top of it. My trophy wall consist of 1x6x 3/4 planks that I had on hand with 1/2" drywall over the planks.
Got it. 3/4 inch plywood under tongue and groove is the best bet.

My trophy room is only 3/4 inch cedar tongue and groove over the frame. All my mounts of all weights hang just fine, but of course the key is how the wood is fastened to the frame.

I have 3/4" barnwood over top 1/2" plywood. I glued and nailed the barnwood to the plywood. Plywood is nailed to studs. So far no problems just using screws anywhere. And hanging off the. Look at my posts and you will see it.

If it is light pine tongue and groove, back it with sheets of 1/4" plywood, the Asian bamboo stuff. Besides being very cheap, the stuff is very tough. I used barnboard in my trophy room backed with that plywood against the sheetrock. The barnboard is quite weathered and can be soft. Screws go through the barnboard into the tough plywood. I have some very heavy trophies hanging in there. Barnboard is great because you can stick a screw or nail anywhere and pull it out with no worries. No noticeable booger is visible because the stuff is full of boogers. 3/4" plywood is kinda overkill and VERY expensive these days.
17254148222765118268319621731936.jpg

Got it. 3/4 inch plywood under tongue and groove is the best bet.
Is it 3/4" tongue and groove? Or 2.5"? Or that flimsy decorative stuff like they use to lone Closets? Is it full of knots or not? What is the stud spacing behind it? What size boards?

If it's good solid quality tongue and groove at least 3/4" thick on reasonably close stud spacing, putting it over 3/4" plywood is a lot of overkill.

If it is light pine tongue and groove, back it with sheets of 1/4" plywood, the Asian bamboo stuff. Besides being very cheap, the stuff is very tough. I used barnboard in my trophy room backed with that plywood against the sheetrock. The barnboard is quite weathered and can be soft. Screws go through the barnboard into the tough plywood. I have some very heavy trophies hanging in there. Barnboard is great because you can stick a screw or nail anywhere and pull it out with no worries. No noticeable booger is visible because the stuff is full of boogers. 3/4" plywood is kinda overkill and VERY expensive these days.
View attachment 631423
Exactly why I went with barnwood too.

Large, shoulder mount animals require substantial “structural” strength for secure mounting. Force is both “downward” and “outward”. The outward force can be significant. No matter the interior wall material/treatment, better to be safe than sorry. As has been posted, lag screw into stud is best. Pre-drlll for best outcome.

It should be good and look nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PattyChild

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]