Top 10 Plains Game Trophies

Let's just start a Top 100 +/- list.... Lol

After seing some photos of the Damara Dik-Dik.... I gotta have one!

Growing up we went to a friend of my mother's and I got to spend time in the trophy room. all of the big five including 100 lb tusks, black and white rhino and everything else under the sun...

My mother's favorite animal out of all of That was the dik dik. I want to take one, have it mounted, and give it to her.

My fascination with the little guys came with reading a Jack O'Connor article where he shot an antelope with a shotgun. How cool is that.

Living in a waterfowl area... I think my 870 was issued at birth. Its much like an extension of my arm. The thought of killing an antelope with one is just cool.

I really enjoy our big game species in the western US but must admit I am growing more fascinated with world wide hunting everyday. Early retirement is not that far away!

On our first trip, from your top 10 list we got 8:
  1. Kudu
  2. Impala
  3. Gemsbok
  4. Zebra
  5. Wildebeest (Black & Blue)
  6. Waterbuck
  7. Eland
  8. Nyala
  9. Springbok
  10. Warthog
The waterbuck my wife stalked got away.

And we also took the following on our first trip:
  1. Red Hartebeest
  2. Steenbok

Reactions: BWH
Just under four for the probable date. Just under 3.5 for when I am eligible.... but like you... who is really counting!

I had conversations with another company today about going to work for them when I retire. If all goes correctly... the funds from the second career will all be used for fun money and likely will go to hunting and travel. The sad part is that, at the moment, getting time off may be difficult...argh.

What I have taken
Kudu
Eland
Nyala
Gemsbock
Waterbuck
Impala
Blue wildebeest
Black wildebeest
Springbock
Steenbuck
Blesbock
Mountain zebra
Red hartebeest
Warthog
I would like a bushbuck and duiker may try for cape buffalo

Definitely need a secondary top 10 as well Royal! - or possibly a third/fourth? HAHA If money is no issue, my dream animal is definitely a Mountain Nyala followed by LD Eland. Bongo has never really got me going, but if money is no issue then ABSOFREAKINLUTELY! Throw in a couple elephants too!

Hi Marius! How are you doing?

Does my list make sense?

Rob

If I had to list my top 10, from that last list it would be: Blue Wildebeest, Black Wildebeest, Red Hartebeest, Greater Kudu, Nyala, Burchell's Zebra, eland, waterbuck, blesbok, and giraffe.

Hey Rob!
I'm good thank pal. Just wondering why you listing animals that you have already whacked?

OK if I must define I will

1. Elephant fall 2015
2. Leopard. 2016/17
3. Lioness. Got 2014 Might a male one day
4. Cape Buffalo Got 2014
5. Kudu Got 2013
6. Blue Wildebeest Got 2013
7. Black Wildebeest Got 2014
8. Eland ?????
9. Waterbuck ?????
10Nyala ??????

And I could just keep going

My problem is I keep adding some I already have taken back to the list. I still have more then 10 I want that I have not hunted yet. Then I think how much fun hunting my kudu was and the eland to. Then I remember my springbuck and impala to so back on the new list.

Maybe I could do my list if I could pick like 20 or so.

For me, he top ten plainsgame to be found in SA would be

Sable
Roan
Lechwe
Tsessebe
Eland
Nyala
Kudu
Waterbuck
Bushbuck
Black Wildebeest

The list would be complete if we add

Blue Wildebeest
Hartebeest
Zebra
Reedbuck
Blesbok
Impala
Springbok
Impala
Warthog
Gemsbok

So that makes twenty, without the little guys, which don´t attract me much.

I still don´t have the four at the top of the list, and I´m running out of space....new house :E Hmmm:

One more vote for a "top 100 list" I guess.
Perhaps if I were wealthy, I might (or might not) concentrate on some specific animals, such as bongo or a 100 pound elephant, or all sub-species and variations of the tiny ten, or whatever the rich folks go-on about, but such things will always be out of my reach financially so, I do not loose sleep over them.

So far I've been extremely blessed to have had the hunting and fishing adventures that are mine, in various places, including 4 times to Africa so far.
And as we say in the western parts of N. America: "Day ain't over yet".
And therefore I plan to keep at it, specific species focused on or not.

For me, it's about the activity of hunting, not as much about whatever animal I might be after.
That part is secondary to my basic cave-man need to simply hunt and fish.
I guess that if was to try to focus my cuckoohead on some specific species ... then I'd have to vote with BWH on a "top 100 list" and/or CAustin on "I want one of all of them".

On a fixed income so top ten will have to wait a bit longer. That said a helicopter hog hunt in the US has sorely tempted me.

Hey Rob!
I'm good thank pal. Just wondering why you listing animals that you have already whacked?

It's true, I've taken 13 species so far and will get some different ones next year in Namibia, but top 10 is top 10!

So you have ALL as number one Charles, just nine more to go. :)

My top ten would def include DG, but I will stick to PG for this list. As I know it today and subject to change.

In no particular order:
  1. Kudu
  2. Zebra
  3. Sable
  4. Dik-Dik
  5. Warthog
  6. Bongo
  7. Gerenuk
  8. Grysbok
  9. Eland
  10. Nyala

Bongo at #6???? Are you mad???

Where is yours? Afraid to write "African goat" ten times???? ;)

Actually, I am afraid of trying to count to 10!

Not necessarily in order:

Nyala
Blue Wildebeest
Black Wildebeest
Red Hartebeest
Zebra
Kudu
Eland
Gemsbok
Waterbuck
African Goat
African Goat
African Goat
African Goat
African Goat
African Goat
African Goat
African Goat
African Goat
African Goat

If the list went to 11, I'd add Giraffe

Actually, I am afraid of trying to count to 10!

Not necessarily in order:

Nyala
Blue Wildebeest
Black Wildebeest
Red Hartebeest
Zebra
Kudu
Eland
Gemsbok
Waterbuck
African Goat
African Goat
African Goat
African Goat
African Goat
African Goat
African Goat
African Goat
African Goat
African Goat

If the list went to 11, I'd add Giraffe

Tim I would have said your list was right on the money for you but you know you have that dam blesbuck (African goat) 1 through 5 on your list. Then maybe nyala kudu and so on for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfonsoX88

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's