Too Much Gun?

You have plenty of experience. Take your 416 Rigby, go forth and hunt everything from PG to DG. Enjoy Africa.

Happy Christmas and safe hunting

The only rifle I took was a 500 for buffalo. 2 buff filled the tags, and we were getting sick of eating buffalo so we went for warthog. Just load the rifle with solids. It was delicious.

416RIGBY will sort you out just fine for a one gun hunt.

Have a good supply (20-30) of premium softs like Barnes TSX, Swift A-Frames, Federal TBBC or Norma Oryx in 400 grain...whichever shoots best for you. And pack about 10 solids that are Woodliegh Hydro, Nosler Safari Solids or CEB's also in 400 grain (that shoot to the same POI as the softs) in the event you want one of the T10 or your PH asks you to load solids. Otherwise, just the softs will be fine.

Go for DG on your first hunt. You are an experienced hunter and as long as you are comfortable with your equipment I don't see a problem with it.

PS - Welcome to AH.

I took my 416 Rigby CZ550 on my cape buffalo hunt and also took a giraffe and sable on the same hunt. Ive been told also that solids work just fine on the tiny ten, pokes holes straight thru then, shot placement as always critical. So, IMHO the 416 Rigby is more than capable for anything Africa has to offer, the right bullet, the right placement for the right game.

I am all about proportionality. I don't hunt whitetail with a .416 and have no desire to try and hunt plains game with one. Frankly, I don't hunt buffalo with a .416 either, but that is another topic. As @Happy Myles suggests a 30 something makes a much more sensible choice for most plains game.

Let me start of by saying that I am not a novice at big game hunting. I have taken an Alaska grizzly, an Alaska bull moose and several caribou. But Africa is a new horizon for me. It has been my dream for several years to get a cape buffalo. SO, after much research I picked up a Ruger M77 RSM in .416 Rigby. I absolutely love this rifle and the cartridge. However, my PH and I have talked, and it has been decided that it would be better if I took a safari for plains game first, before tackling the Buffalo. I do not want to buy another rifle. Is this rifle far too serious overkill for gemsbok, eland, sable, Kudu or wildebeast, what ever may come to pass? I know it is way more than needed, of course, but is it way too much? I have a Marlin 1895 in .45-70 which I have killed everything mentioned above in Alaska. Im just hoping there is some way I can use what I have and am familiar with. I will talk to my PH about it and get his advice of course, but I wanted to get opinions from here as well.
Just my opinion, but if a .30-06 is not too much to be used for steenbuck (it wasn't), your .416 should work just fine for the animals that you listed. Come to think of it, I once shared a safari camp with a man that used his .375 HH to take a grysbok. I do not know what bullet he used but it made a nice neat hole through the rib cage. The tiny antelope was not blown to pieces. The follow up after the shot was not lengthy.

Assuming you can place your shots where you want them out to about 200 yards, I'd say you'll be fine while your .416.

Let me start of by saying that I am not a novice at big game hunting. I have taken an Alaska grizzly, an Alaska bull moose and several caribou. But Africa is a new horizon for me. It has been my dream for several years to get a cape buffalo. SO, after much research I picked up a Ruger M77 RSM in .416 Rigby. I absolutely love this rifle and the cartridge. However, my PH and I have talked, and it has been decided that it would be better if I took a safari for plains game first, before tackling the Buffalo. I do not want to buy another rifle. Is this rifle far too serious overkill for gemsbok, eland, sable, Kudu or wildebeast, what ever may come to pass? I know it is way more than needed, of course, but is it way too much? I have a Marlin 1895 in .45-70 which I have killed everything mentioned above in Alaska. Im just hoping there is some way I can use what I have and am familiar with. I will talk to my PH about it and get his advice of course, but I wanted to get opinions from here as well.

I ran across this when I was looking for my first hunt in Africa.

If the person saying you need to do this kind of hunt paying for it or are you paying for it.

Bottom line, I do not care how much you like the person, You need to look for another outfit to hunt with.

If it’s your dream to hunt a buffalo do it on your first safari. There is no need to wait and hunt plains game first. Nothing about a standard plains game hunt will prepare you better for a buffalo hunt. Plains game is primarily spot and stalk from the vehicle and Buffalo (done properly) is a tracking hunt. You follow your PH’s instructions the same on both. However, if you really want to focus on plains game for a first safari a good 30 caliber 30/06-300 Mag would be ideal. If you’d like to use your 45/70 Lever I think @Tundra Tiger could give you some good advice.

You hunted Grizzly nice.,
There are members here more experienced for cartridge selection but if you want to use your own rifle and you can only take one rifle then it's adequate. If you can shoot it accurately then it will do.

Not many things beat a free range buffalo hunt. You can always pick up plans game along the way. Free ranging buffalo hunts keep going up in price. I do not know if you are looking at high fenced plains game if so those hunt prices remain faily constant.

Lon

What country are you hunting in? PG before DG isn’t necessary and you’ll likely shoot some while hunting your buffalo.

Personally, I’d recommend doing a little longer hunt (if you can manage) and combining PG with the Buffalo. Spend 2-3 days going after PG, then switch the focus to Buffalo for 7-10 days. If you’re successful you go back after PG. You could plan a hunt like this in multiple countries or a couple different areas of the same country.

As for the overkill question, shoot your gun. Run solids on the small stuff including Tiny 10 without worry. If you “need” an excuse for a new gun you can’t go wrong with a 375.

Your backup plan could be to use a camp rifle if you want to use a .30 cal for antelope in the 70-500 lb range. I know our PH had a 308WIN (culling rifle) and a 458WM (stopping rifle) with him at all times. Most camps will have something like a 30-06, 308WIN or 300WM that they use for camp meat, culling and bait.

Ask your outfitter about this and what it would cost to do so.

My first safari I took a Krieghoff 500/416 and CZ 416 Rigby. Shot 2 buffalos with the double, and Impala, Tuskless, and Warthog with the Rigby. I would say that I am glad I shot the Impala first because it helped to calm me down for the rest. I was super nervous on the first animal. Plus Impala are cheap and make a beautiful mount. Good luck and Merry Christmas.

First of all you should hunt what you want to hunt. I do not disagree with your PH and do promote a first timer to go in a PG hunt. But that may not be you. You will want to do lots of research before tackling a buffalo hunt as you know nothing of Africa yet. You don't want to wind up on a small game farm hunting buffalo. Just do your own research including phoning some experienced AH'ers on the subject. PM and email only go so far.
Check out my videos on safari planning to help avoid the pitfalls so many wind up in. ( Safari Planning section of AH or YouTube)
happy hunting!

Lots of practice from the sticks is critical to succes in taking plains game in Africa. I shutter to think what a thousand or two rounds of practice would be like with a heavy recoiling rifle. Something 30 cal that you shoot really well - standing from the sticks - makes sense for plains game.

My critia is all shots within a 4" radius from POA at 225 yards, (standing/sticks). Or at whatever distance you set for yourself.

I used a 416 for everything on my first safari, and it was convenient for travel and not needing to switch guns, but if I can make it back over for Elephant or Buffalo in a few years I will probably bring my 30-06 for plains game. The 416 put softball size exit holes in everything smaller than a gemsbok.

Lots of practice from the sticks is critical to succes in taking plains game in Africa. I shutter to think what a thousand or two rounds of practice would be like with a heavy recoiling rifle. Something 30 cal that you shoot really well - standing from the sticks - makes sense for plains game.

My critia is all shots within a 4" radius from POA at 225 yards, (standing/sticks). Or at whatever distance you set for yourself.
A thousand practice rounds on the sticks? Not necessary. At all. This guy knows how to shoot. Anyway, shooting off sticks is not rocket science. Far from it. I had never even seen sticks when I arrived in Africa for my first Safari. I shot my first three animals in three shots before noon the first morning off the sticks (plus a warthog offhand). The third one, a blue wildebeest bull, was hooves up instantly at 100 yards with 30-06. PH said great shooting. I responded a person would have to be spastic to miss that animal on the sticks.

If you want to hunt Buffalo on your first trip, then do so, I did. The 416 will work for you, although I am in the camp of a “medium” gun and a big “gun”. I ran a 30-06 and 375 H&H my last couple of trips abroad although 375 is minimum for a big gun.

Best advice ever! Don’t shoot off sticks until you get there!:unsure::eek:
ymmv!

Dumb ol’ me been practicing off sticks at home.:cry: That and I don’t consider the .416 Rigby to have “brutal” nor “excessive” recoil. That and double rifles makes me a lost cause………..

A thousand practice rounds on the sticks? Not necessary. At all. This guy knows how to shoot. Anyway, shooting off sticks is not rocket science. Far from it. I had never even seen sticks when I arrived in Africa for my first Safari. I shot my first three animals in three shots before noon the first morning off the sticks (plus a warthog offhand). The third one, a blue wildebeest bull, was hooves up instantly at 100 yards with 30-06. PH said great shooting. I responded a person would have to be spastic to miss that animal on the sticks.
OK Annie Oakley . . . This isn’t the first post of your superior shooting ability. I forgot how many times you said you missed your gemsbok though?

Learning to be confident shooting from sticks is an important part of safari preparation. You may be the first person I’ve ever seen say it isn’t.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RossAlcala

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

the best gear
  • Accurate Powders
  • Alliant Powder
  • Hodgdon Powder
  • RAMSHOT
  • Winchester Powders
  • Winchester
  • CCI
  • Federal
  • Remington
  • .458 Caliber
  • 10MM
  • 270 Caliber
  • 7MM
  • 8MM
  • 9MM
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.