Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Scope

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Red dot

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Irons

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
Hunter did a great job. Not everyone could have done so well with irons. With scope, that’s better odds for most shooters.

These "call the shot" threads are some of the most useful I have seen in a while--way, way better than some poster of a buffalo standing broadside in ankle high grass!

They are useful topics as they show the complexity of shots and often an animal is not standing in the open posing for the camera or hunter. They are also a snapshot in time and it can change quickly. I always find it interesting in the field how one or two feet to the side can make a huge difference. The PH sees one thing and the hunter sees another. I try to stand and look over the shoulder of the PH so I see what they see. Sometimes I stand right behind the PH and look low while they look high. I also look to the sides when following the tracker in case something is circling and that is not unusual to see. I will rarely see something the tracker doesn't see when looking in the same direction so I keep my head on a slow swivel. Doing that, I will catch a few things first on every hunt.

Great point Bryan, on my last trip we were on the target bull. He steps through my narrow shooting lane and I am swinging my rifle staying on his vitals waiting for the PH to give the clearance to shoot. The Bull quickly is through my tiny window. And the PH says “shoot him”

The bull was already through my window and I had no shot when it was a clear lane for the PH.

It can be frustrating if you’ve worked hard to get just one opportunity, and it’s a special animal.

This situation happens so often in the Bush. You have to really be in control of your shot process and only you can really control the shot. It's very common for there to be a little lapse in time between what you and the PH see. Communication has to be really clear. The main thing I want to know is are we trying to get this animal and once I have the green light, I have to make the final call. Sometimes the window is wide open and sometimes it's a very quick window. I have to be ready.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BenitoMurn

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg