to thread, or not to thread

@Daisy & @CBH Australia - Thank you both for the kind words. I look forward to reading your posts as well.

I think open sights look the part on DG rifles. I also think barrel bands look the part.
If I were at all concerned about looking the part, I wouldn't have a straight pull rifle and be toting RF binos. I'd rather be an effective hunter than a fashion statement. Taking game in an ethical manner is statement enough.

@Daisy & @CBH Australia - Thank you both for the kind words. I look forward to reading your posts as well.

If I were at all concerned about looking the part, I wouldn't have a straight pull rifle and be toting RF binos. I'd rather be an effective hunter than a fashion statement. Taking game in an ethical manner is statement enough.
Amen. You seem to be a great blend of modern and tradition. It’s funny I’m more into modern rifles yet I have very traditional taste in most of my endeavors.

Agreed,

I guess what I was meaning is that I like the "Classic look"

If I go back to Africa I will ask Kevin to pick me up in the Land Rover and take me to buy a Pitch Helmet so I can look the part.

I still want to do my part. I get good results and hunt ethically with cheaper rifles. Shot placement and ammo choice matter. But I would expect a Blaser or a Rigby to be accurate. Then it's still up to me to do my part.

Point of interest. I saw a couple of YouTube videos with people using Blaser 95 single shot rifles. There is a Blaser model builder online. I can get an instant quote in Australian dollars. If I pick all of the options inluding top grade walnut hexagonal barrel etc custom fit. Just out of interest it comes in at over $35,000 . Yep, 35k in our money. That's a pricey single shot.

I saw a Blaser R8 on the range. I honed in on it pretty quickly asking everything about it.

Well then, that would mean he'd have to move the front iron sight back down the barrel away from the muzzle. Very un-DGR looking. Or just scope the gun and remove the iron sights altogether? Right. Make it look like an oversize deer rifle. Both options will work but what happens to the value of the guns?

We all know how important appearances are for this "style" of hunting. Look at the recent silly discussion about the utility or lack thereof for choosing classic straight bolt DGR vs swept back bolt. I think it will be a long time before anything so stylistically "disfiguring" as threads for a suppressor are acceptable to those culture conscious consumers.
I would happily hunt DG with a suppressor. The shorter ones today are not as cumbersome and much, much lighter.
I don’t worry about the resale value of the hunting gear that I buy. It is bought for my use and my personal taste.
As suppressors become more common, it will become expected that barrels are threaded. Look at bow rifles today, threading is very common.
For those that can get a suppressor, it is a great way to reduce hearing damage, experience less recoil and hear your bullet impact.

I suppose if you have two DG legal rifles in Africa, the probability of both scopes being damaged is slim.

Call me old fashioned but for the extra couple of ounces (or dollars) that BUIS add, I see no reason to forgo that option. For the record - those with BUIS are best served with having them ACTUALLY sighted in and practiced with.

Blaser R8 300WM (17mm standard profile) barrel threaded M15-1.
View attachment 574904
View attachment 574905

Who did you use for the blended thread protector? I want to get my 270 win A-bolt and 338 win mag model 70 threaded, but I don’t want to complete ruin the lines, so I’m very interested in the blended look.

Who did you use for the blended thread protector? I want to get my 270 win A-bolt and 338 win mag model 70 threaded, but I don’t want to complete ruin the lines, so I’m very interested in the blended look.
This one was threaded from the factory. I've never made an inquiry to having this kind of work done so I'm not sure who would be a good choice. Best of luck.

You can speak with an competent gun smith. If you don't have any check out LRI, they do really good work.

I would recommend this guy : https://grumpysguns.com/barrelthreadingserviceleveraction.aspx for your 1895, he specializes in threading lever actions. I had him do a Marlin 1894 .357 within the past year, he did an excellent job with fast turn-around. He will also relocate the front sight and shorten magazine tube if required. In my case, I sent him the stripped barreled receiver and did the rest of the work myself, got a discount. In my opinion, if done professionally resale value does not take a hit, may even increase due to the rising popularity of suppressors.

Attachments

d6f3508d7c786bdfe2cb1cda6e0f116b-image.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
njohh

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa