Tipping Guide

W
my first hunt 2 years ago, the owner handed out a list of everyone that worked there about 22 people with the suggested amount for each person and it was not based on the price of the hunt would have ran about 3200.00 in tips. crazy
"....would have ran about 3200.00 in tips." Is this amount in country of origin currency or/and in USD?

".... would have ran....." Did you use this outfitter?

Did or have you posted an OP about this outfitter alerting forum members about this outfitter's scrupulous means of having his clients' paying his employees' wages?

Are all 22 people directly or to some degree directly involved in your hunt(s)?
ie. On my first 7 day/9 days total PG hunt I tipped roughly 25+ people, (rough total Tips: R4500 and $1500USD. However - however, there were extenuating circumstances, and those that I did tip In My Own Opinion deserved their tip.

Did he give you the tip list before or after your hunt?

If before your booking, Personally I would have cordially told the outfitter that I found another outfitter that could offer more for my money. More animals at better rates, more things to do after my hunt, etc.

If after your hunt, such as my horrible Zimbabwe, 10 days hunt/12 days total, for DG experience in 2021. The outfitter handed me a list of the workers in camp and the "suggested" amount to tip each worker in USD. The outfitter was wanting clients to pay all his employees' wages for whatever time clients are in camp.

My outfitter was also my PH, 2 inexperienced trackers for 7 1/2 days, experienced trackers 2 1/2 days. I tipped according to number of days each were on my hunt and based on their respective performance of their efforts or lack of. and all others directly affiliated with my hunt: ie. domestic staff: cook, laundress, maid service, I tipped what I felt was appropriate and not by what the outfitter suggested my responsibility to pay their wages!!. However, the gardener did end up getting a small tip for helping to skin my buffalo as did the other skinners.

This is why this forum is so great. We get to advise other members about our good and 6bad experiences. To promote: good outfitters, good people to sell and buy from, etc., while weeding out the bad outfitters, and those less reputable.

This forum also allows reputable outfitter's, (or others), to tell their side so that members can judge for themselves who is right and wrong.

If You Choose to tip...those Only required to be tipped are:

Outfitter/PH (debatable),

PH- Based on the quality of Your Hunt(s).

Tracker (one particular tracker preformed the duties as my PH)- Based on their capabilities to put You and Your PH on animals.

Maid, Laundress(es), cook(s): based on daily service(s), meals provided, or if only one providing all personal services.

Others To Consider:

Skinners (both those skinning animals at your outfitter property(ies), and those at other concession properties that go beyond their norm. ie. Humping a 1500+ pound animal, in the dark, up a steep mountain side, and spending another 2+ hours setting up the trophy photo opportunity, skinning the animal, they started around 6pm and Worked hard till nearly 2 am. Note: Had these fellows done the same in daylight....they would have still earned their same gracious tip from me, because they worked had.

The skinners of my lesser hunts on other concessions: ie Impala, blesbok, warthog, etc. probably could or should have been tipped (maybe R20 -R40), but I didn't tip them as these hunts didn't require any strenuous or beyond normal work (...maybe ...R60, if they would have supervised, allowing me to get bloody, learning how they skin animal(s)).

For the eland, gemsbok, and leachwe, these Big animals, they were with us all 4 days, working as skinners/additional trackers/"farm" reps thereby earned their R200 tip (R200 total for all 3 animals), of course I asked and it was ok'ed with PH's and concession owner's approval.

Taxidermist(s): WOW....Who even thinks about or even considers tipping the person or people involved in preserving your hunting memories?

(Other countries of origin and especially in the US, taxidermist tip is by far a different subject).

I was the first, or perhaps still am, the only client that has ever tipped these outfitter workers at KUBUSI SAFARIS. These taxidermists work hard and are dedicated to preserving clients' hunting memories. They are not only committed, but they take great pride in their work and in making sure each and every client not only receives, but also are 100% satisfied with their finished product. Personally, so far, I am extremely satisfied with the quality and attention to detail of their work.

For those on non hunting safaris, ie photo, touring, etc., IMO only people to tip, If you chose to, would be:

Outfitter/PH (debatable)
PH/Guide,
Laundress(es),
Maid,
Cook(s),
(Perhaps the latter 3 are the same person)

First and Foremost Tips are a Gratuity!! You are Giving An Earn Bonus and Showing Your Appreciation for "their" Going Above Normal Service(s) In A Monetary or/and Other Gifted Manor!!!

It Is Not Your Responsibility to pay or supplement "their" wages!!! It Is "Their" Employer's, whether reputable or irreparable, responsibility to pay Their employee(s) wage(s)!!! Not the clients' via "tips".

Last edited:
Un pourboire est un montant d’argent et une faveur versée à une personne. Il a pour but de remercier le service ou la qualité de cette personne. C’est un usage pour l’expression de la satisfaction et un volontaire personnel. L’offre de ce pourboire dépend de la bonne qualité du restaurant apprécié par les clients. Au restaurant en France, les prix s’accordent taxes et service compris 15% environ du prix total. Si le service est bien entretenu, vous pouvez laisser un pourboire pour exprimer votre satisfaction. Le montant doit être de 5 à 10% de l’addition.

Do not fight !

The 15% on the bill are taxes and has nothing to do with tipping, pourboire in french.
thank and well sum up but seems some did not want to listen ...

Google it properly. I am not mastering the language of Moliere. It's my first language, I mastered it a long time ago among a few others I speak, read and write. Your insistence is perturbing, you're misinformed. It really depends where you eat and what you call a restaurant. I'm not responding anymore.
you do not need to reply and grand veneur explained again like i did ... im from france family owned restaurants for generation and now im living in canada ... enjoy to think you paid for tip while you paid the wages with the 15%.

My opinion about tipping / my tipping rule of thumb:

I try to do my research along the hunt to find out how much someone gets paid and pay the same amount per day that they hunted with me. This applies for the guide/ph as well as for anybody involved on the hunt (guides, cooks, rangers, etc).

On top of this prior to the hunt, I ask the outfitter who will join me in the hunt nd who works in the camp. For the "core team" such as the PH, cleaning ladies, trucker, cook, etc I bring new items to give away. These things are for example make up items for the women, trail camera, good flashlight, good knife, etc. I believe this shows that I have taken the time on buying something new instead of giving away something used.

On top of that, sure I always leave behind anything that is used and dont want anymore, such as jacket, apparel, boots, flashlight, knife, etc.

This formula allows everyone to get cash + something new + something used.

I have been a hunting guide for over 10 years I would have been happy to receive this from my hunters. Actually, that was pretty much the average I made. Sure, some hunters went way above, but some other went way under,,, as much as zero tip even they got a great trophy.

My opinion about tipping / my tipping rule of thumb:

I try to do my research along the hunt to find out how much someone gets paid and pay the same amount per day that they hunted with me. This applies for the guide/ph as well as for anybody involved on the hunt (guides, cooks, rangers, etc).

On top of this prior to the hunt, I ask the outfitter who will join me in the hunt nd who works in the camp. For the "core team" such as the PH, cleaning ladies, trucker, cook, etc I bring new items to give away. These things are for example make up items for the women, trail camera, good flashlight, good knife, etc. I believe this shows that I have taken the time on buying something new instead of giving away something used.

On top of that, sure I always leave behind anything that is used and dont want anymore, such as jacket, apparel, boots, flashlight, knife, etc.

This formula allows everyone to get cash + something new + something used.

I have been a hunting guide for over 10 years I would have been happy to receive this from my hunters. Actually, that was pretty much the average I made. Sure, some hunters went way above, but some other went way under,,, as much as zero tip even they got a great trophy.
Every man on my hunt got something practical; even to the point of going to a gun shop to buy good skinning knives. one of the assistant outfitters grabbed the cleaning rod I had; all on top of tips. Very happy crew afterwards.

but some other went way under,,, as much as zero tip even they got a great trophy.
Why should a client give a tip for getting a great trophy, hasn‘t he paid a lot of money for his hunt, why a tip on top of that? Are outfitter/ph and staff not supposed to give their utmost best? The tipping business really sucks.

Why should a client give a tip for getting a great trophy, hasn‘t he paid a lot of money for his hunt, why a tip on top of that? Are outfitter/ph and staff not supposed to give their utmost best? The tipping business really sucks.
there are two different things I would like to reply:

1.- what I wanted to outline is that when someone did tip me wasn't because I underperform but because the hunter didnt feel like tipping, which is fine.

2.- depending on with whom you work as an employee, you generate expectations based on not only the direct salary but also additional perks, such as (for example) having a car for free year-round, hunting on better areas that make your job easier, having more educated clients or even expecting higher tips. In other words, I was offered to hunt for higher paying outfitters but I would sacrifice my "base salary" expecting to be able to over-deliver and end up getting paid more. This is similar to a waiter choosing to work for less base salary at a fine restaurant instead of McDonald's

I believe this clarifies my point. Yes, I am against tipping "by-default". But also a relatively small sacrifice on our side of the world makes a huge difference somewhere else. And I know very well now that I have my businesses in the US and I come from a rural area overseas.

PS: I never tip the owner of the business nor the outfitter.

Not really about the merit, %, etc. of tipping (trying not to reignite anything here), but I wonder if you all have any “tips” on how to budget/ keep track once in camp. I don't actually pay gratuity off of a set formula, though I have been caught without enough cash to cover unexpected efforts/events and I want some idea of how much ill want/need for tips. Then I want to be able to track things and quickly make equitable adjustments based on the efforts/ observations.

I started a little excel sheet (below) but got to thinking surely some of you veterans must have similar excel or system already developed for budgeting, tracking/ distributing?

I realize everyone has different stress points, and to some this is overthinking, but I’m terrible with names and stress over leaving someone out. I will probably use an excel or similar hard copy to tally up names/ observations over the trip. Then I can quickly decide what I feel is appropriate. My first trip coming up in Niassa, not really sure what to expect as far as staff positions/ quantity, but I appreciate all the prior advice and thoughts on the subject.

1692392143426.png

Not really about the merit, %, etc. of tipping (trying not to reignite anything here), but I wonder if you all have any “tips” on how to budget/ keep track once in camp. I don't actually pay gratuity off of a set formula, though I have been caught without enough cash to cover unexpected efforts/events and I want some idea of how much ill want/need for tips.

I don't tip a percentage of the daily rate for the PH. Daily rate changes from country to county and the type of hunt. Not to mention some hunts are fixed price. For example, my Kazuma trophy elephant hunt in a month or so is $XXK all in.

Trackers I pay the same amount. In the hunts I have been the driver and 2. driver switch places at times also for baiting everyone works including the driver.

Not really about the merit, %, etc. of tipping (trying not to reignite anything here), but I wonder if you all have any “tips” on how to budget/ keep track once in camp. I don't actually pay gratuity off of a set formula, though I have been caught without enough cash to cover unexpected efforts/events and I want some idea of how much ill want/need for tips. Then I want to be able to track things and quickly make equitable adjustments based on the efforts/ observations.

I started a little excel sheet (below) but got to thinking surely some of you veterans must have similar excel or system already developed for budgeting, tracking/ distributing?

I realize everyone has different stress points, and to some this is overthinking, but I’m terrible with names and stress over leaving someone out. I will probably use an excel or similar hard copy to tally up names/ observations over the trip. Then I can quickly decide what I feel is appropriate. My first trip coming up in Niassa, not really sure what to expect as far as staff positions/ quantity, but I appreciate all the prior advice and thoughts on the subject.

View attachment 552150
If you haven’t already I would ask your PH about the number of staff and tipping expectations. The number of staff has caught me off guard before even if expected tips for extra staff were very low. Typically if the first and second tracker are the same experience level they will get tipped the same (think of it more as fast/intuitive tracker and slow/methodical tracker instead of sr and jr, if the fast tracker loses the track, the slow tracker is still on it). I’ve been asked to tip driver same as trackers as well. The cook will typically get a tip greater than the camp staff closer to your trackers. The skinner you’ll likely have no or minimal interaction with. I’d never ask a PH about tips for himself but each camp is slightly different and there are some politics at play with staff in wilderness camps. Ask your PH about tips for staff then make final decision yourself then you won’t get caught off guard.

Last edited:
Tipping is always been a delicate problem for me. I don’t know what expectations are often. Once in Mozambique , I asked the camp manager about tipping, and there were people around the camp, who I never had interaction with, or even saw, who were suggested to get tips, and the amount was substantial. I consult the PH about his recommendations.
I know there are some very wealthy clients who make very large tips and I’m always concerned about how they may set the bar for that camp for the rest of the season. I want to be fair, and certainly generous for those who go above and beyond the usual effort to make the hunt successful (even if it isn’t) but paying a percentage of total hunt isn’t my preference.

I plan on 100-150 a day for ph. 20-25 a day per tracker . 100 for game scout. 20-25 a day for skinner. And 800-1000 for entire camp staff. So 3100 ish maybe more depending on experience. I don’t plan on not tipping someone unless there is a disaster with that individual, which I doubt will happen.

With tips in general (not hunting) I suppose I use a percentage (with some deviation based on exceptions like Tanks pointed out) to decide how much to bring, but not necessarily how much to actually tip. Waiting on reply from outfitter about camp staff.

Since multiple people have mentioned the 10% PH budget, should I take that as an indication the amount budgeted (for PH, I made some adjustments for trackers and cook per comments) is missing the mark for a fair ten-day buff hunt? I want to bring enough to give a fairly good tip if feel it justified. Feel free to PM if you have more sensitive comments!

I plan on 100-150 a day for ph. 20-25 a day per tracker . 100 for game scout. 20-25 a day for skinner. And 800-1000 for entire camp staff. So 3100 ish maybe more depending on experience. I don’t plan on not tipping someone unless there is a disaster with that individual, which I doubt will happen.
On my last night in first camp in Cameroon, the waiter/camp attendant decided to down/steal an entire bottle of whiskey from behind the bar after we finished dinner. He forgot to wake us up next morning. He didn’t get a tip or have a job after that incident.

With tips in general (not hunting) I suppose I use a percentage (with some deviation based on exceptions like Tanks pointed out) to decide how much to bring, but not necessarily how much to actually tip. Waiting on reply from outfitter about camp staff.

Since multiple people have mentioned the 10% PH budget, should I take that as an indication the amount budgeted (for PH, I made some adjustments for trackers and cook per comments) is missing the mark for a fair ten-day buff hunt? I want to bring enough to give a fairly good tip if feel it justified. Feel free to PM if you have more sensitive comments!
Depending how large an outfitter you are hunting with, I would ask the PH specifically, not the outfitter. One well known outfitter I hunted with, I found out after, was actually very removed from the operation. I learned after that to always confirm with PH.
I think the idea of tipping as a percentage decreases as the cost of the hunt goes up. There are a lot of factors in a wilderness area. You could hunt 10 days hard, have numerous close calls, but still walk away unsuccessful or you could get 10 animals and have a much more expensive hunt. The PH and team work equally as hard. $170 a day is a good number for PH in your case. I’d consider $100/day as minimum for meeting expectations and $150/day a high quality tip. I think too many people tip the staff too low in comparison to the PH. 59 pages shows tipping is very subjective and everyone has a different opinion.

Point of order to think about also.

Are you on a multiple safari return trip with friends as PHs and Operators? If yes, you're probably paying wholesale or getting "african discounts". (e.g. they forget to charge you for a lot of game you shot that wasn't in the plan) If so, you probably want to go heavy on the tips if you want to be invited back in the future on similar terms.

If you're paying retail to a stranger as a customer, you want to go by the book on your tips.

One thing I try to ask clients is to include our game scouts.....they live in the Bush 24/7....but only suggest k200 max each...which at moment is around usd 11 to 12....so an extra usd 150 or so...as 10 or 11 depending on comings and goings...peanuts but makes them feel involved and they are very happy....

On my last night in first camp in Cameroon, the waiter/camp attendant decided to down/steal an entire bottle of whiskey from behind the bar after we finished dinner. He forgot to wake us up next morning. He didn’t get a tip or have a job after that incident.
I’d consider that a disaster with that individual. I’m glad it didn’t cause any major issues though.

I always speak with outfitter/PH if possible. 2021 Safari tipping was easiest and it was the hardest hunt to tip, 5 camps, 21 animals and who knows how many staff. Outfitter had a tipping guide sheet and I followed it. Tipped at max end, but that was fair, reasonable and in line with what I had planned.

Tipping is easier when you are static in one camp for duration but an evening at beginning of hunt without or before sundowner's to discuss I find is best. Yes I have my notebook/diary and get names and positions of all, would hate to forget anyone who assisted, in view or not.

I also am not set on tip amounts, these change sometimes. Had a scout/tracker in Zim who was asleep on back of truck always, while his counterpart pointed out game, tracks and became valued, yes his tip was lots more than sleepy. PH explained to him. Same goes for PH's, after a few safaris you can get a feel for good, bad and ones you will never recommend or hunt again with. Tips equal those feelings.

Tipping is still the hardest part of safari for me.

MB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MicheleJew

Latest profile posts

TAGSAFARI became the brand you know Today with one key mission, "Support Africa Through Trade, Not Aid"
24-10-ts.jpg
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius