Timing Of Second Shot On Dangerous Game With A Double Rifle?

Has anyone or can you pull both triggers on a Double? I have done it with shotguns and recoil is not much more than a single shot from a sxs shotgun? I have a double rifle but never thought about it until this thread.

Basically what @mark-hunter said.

On my buff, there was no need for a second shot, my neck shot killed him instantly.

On my hippo, the outfitter said, you and your backup just keep shooting, as no one can stop a hippo on land with just one shot.
I hate to disagree with your outfitter on his statement “no one can stop a hippo on land with just one shot” my quote “BS” unless I am missing something?

Has anyone or can you pull both triggers on a Double? I have done it with shotguns and recoil is not much more than a single shot from a sxs shotgun? I have a double rifle but never thought about it until this thread.
Many years ago I watched an american visiting hunter who was suffering from a serious flinch & fear of elephant. Twice he pulled both triggers on his double George Gibbs. He claimed it was the rifle. One day I got a call from a friend he said”dont you know xx” I answered in the positive. He said you have to read this article in such and such magazine. He had missed his elephant at close range. He and his PH decided his rifle doubled and the bullets hitting each other thus deflecting from each other in opposite directions and totally missing the elephant. There is a “miss” story hard to beat.

Lon

I had my .470ne double on me once..... Yes you will definitely know something is different and yes it most certainly recoils considerably more than a SxS shotgun!

In response to BryceM, above; I have only shot one buffalo, so I can hardly claim to be an expert, for which I was using a double rifle in .470.

The first shot was broadside at about 65 yards, right on the shoulder. The bullet (a Rhino solid) unfortunately fragmented, and what was left of it deflected into the brisket. By the time that I was back on target, the buffalo (and his two askaris) was making a quick getaway and an - in any way proper - follow-up shot was impossible before they all disappeared into the mopani bush.

Follow-up. The classic 'P-turn' and ambush from the side. The PH saw him in good time and fired, grazing the buffalo's cheek, at which point the buffalo turned tail again.

Four hours after the first shot, he charged the PH, running in front of me right to left at approximately 25 yards. The first shot was just behind the heart, in the lungs - not, of course, that that had any immediate effect; the second (I freely admit, a badly-placed flyer) broke his spine just in front of the hips. That, however, was enough to break the charge, and he came down 8 yards from the PH (who, in the meantime, having fired himself, had taken a step backwards, tripped and was sitting on his bum). The benefits of having a double rifle.

My own takeaways from the experience are, firstly, that Mr. Murphy's law holds good; and, secondly, that in that final charge - which happens very quickly - it is imperative both to (try to) place your shots and stitch the air with lead: but these requirements are, by their nature, contradictory. But, as I say, I am no expert.

This, incidentally, took place at the Mabalabala game ranch in the Limpopo. For all the criticism of such establishments - not from me - the experience was authentic enough for my taste.
Are you talking about a brass meplat solid from Rhino? 500gr? Very hard to believe as that is all I use on elephant never ever had such a failure.....

Buffalo....premium grade expanding bullets in a big enought caliber.....make the first shot count.....inexperienced double rifle user can inadvertantly consentrate more on the so called "instant second shot".....a disaster waiting to happen.....

I think it should sound like "boom - boom". Reload.

I think it should sound like "boom - boom". Reload.
Boom....Boom....is only good if both hit the right spot.....otherwise boom is the best.....

Boom....Boom....is only good if both hit the right spot.....otherwise boom is the best.....
If you can't make each shot count, practice more before you go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiraBallin

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]