Wiley64

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
My Dad and I just hit the range with our rifles, first time I have ever had a side by side comparison in shooting a 375 with a can vs a 375 without. Even on a really light rifle (fierce), the recoil was much more enjoyable than that of my model 70. I am really conflicted on the pros and cons of carving up my model 70 safari express. Has any one ever regret grinding off that front sight and putting a can on a classic hunting rifle like a safari express? Would love some input.

Attachments

• IMG_6831.jpeg
    IMG_6831.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6838.jpeg
    IMG_6838.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 19
The 375 is designe as a hunting rifle not as a benchrest rifle. For its intended use, you'll most likely be carefully slalking through the bush and taking your shots standing either unsupported or on stcks. Therefore, before making any decisions compare both systems firing and also carrying. You may find the recoil siuation inconsequential when standing and the cn just unwieldy when stalking. Alternatively you may find the recoil diference significant and the ease of carrying irrelevant. Either way, at least you'll know before making permanent changes.

I had the barrel of my .375H&H cut down from 24" to 20", had it threaded, and when I am sighting in or just shooting to shoot, I use a muzzle brake. When I go hunting, I remove the muzzle brake. My 416 Rigby is at the gunsmith having the very same thing done to it. Cans are wonderful, but hunting dangerous game with all that barrel length could possibly prove a challenge.

I took off the iron sights on my Sako 85 Kodiak and have no regrets about doing it, but I couldn’t imagine putting a suppressor on a 375 especially the model 70 safari. The suppressor adds no value hunting DG. It just makes it longer and less balanced, neither are good qualities for tracking through brush or needing to shoot quickly. Threading the barrel will also take away part of resale value and make it difficult to find a buyer. The suppressor is also illegal in many DG hunting countries. Leave the suppressors for dedicated PG rifles you’d take to Namibia or South Africa.

I shudder at the thought of doing that to a model 70 with Express sights. Especially a 375.

I agree, shooting a thumper gun from the bench is brutal, yet same rifle can have relatively negligible recoil shooting offhand, on the sticks, or even from sitting position. Anyway, shooting at game one seldom pays any heed to recoil, no matter how severe. For the range double up on hearing protection (muffs + plugs) and shoot from some other position. I bought a camera tripod yoke off ebay for twenty bucks and attached it to my late wife's quality tripod. I can shoot quite accurately from sitting position with it. Seems less sturdy than traditional shooting sticks for standing. I use it for zeroing my 404. It's not a gun I can afford to shoot a lot at the range for both economic and health reasons.

Personally, I don't feel shooting a heavy recoil rifle will make the shooter "get used to" the kick. If anything, it promotes flinch. One can become proficient shooting a lighter recoil rifle at the range and safely transition to the heavier gun for hunting, provided the two guns have reasonably similar fit and triggers. I am of the opinion the latter is most important. My plains game 30-06 and dangerous game 404 both have Timney triggers with approximately same weight and crispness. Safeties are different but I seem to adapt to that easily.

I have optional iron sights and quick detach scopes on both rifles. Always a good plan to have optional sights in case scope craps out or conditions make it impractical (steep rocky mountains or hunting in a snowstorm or both).
20240420_112851.jpg

20230813_102935.jpg
20221127_125555.jpg

I shudder at the thought of doing that to a model 70 with Express sights. Especially a 375.
Rather like putting a lift kit on a 1970 Chrysler New Yorker. :unsure:

I'm a huge fan of silencer/suppressors for just about everything...... except for rare classics or a dangerous game rifle.

This is pretty close to being both, so I would probably leave it as-is. Why not just get another rifle and put a can on it? There always needs to be a reason to get a new rifle. :)

My Dad and I just hit the range with our rifles, first time I have ever had a side by side comparison in shooting a 375 with a can vs a 375 without. Even on a really light rifle (fierce), the recoil was much more enjoyable than that of my model 70. I am really conflicted on the pros and cons of carving up my model 70 safari express. Has any one ever regret grinding off that front sight and putting a can on a classic hunting rifle like a safari express? Would love some input.
@Wiley64: I would Never stick a “Can” on my custom .375 H&H even if it reduced noise to zero and eliminated recoil completely….I just hate the look of them and question any real “hunting advantage” they provide. “Cans” are fine for Campbell’s Soup but I don’t want one hanging on the end of my hunting rifle. Many others will disagree, especially those born after 1980 ! I admit I am stuck-in-the-Past…

When hunting with my M70 .375 H&H or my M98 404 Jeffery I find no need or recoil moderation at all. Keep it simple.

I agree, shooting a thumper gun from the bench is brutal, yet same rifle can have relatively negligible recoil shooting offhand, on the sticks, or even from sitting position. Anyway, shooting at game one seldom pays any heed to recoil, no matter how severe. For the range double up on hearing protection (muffs + plugs) and shoot from some other position. I bought a camera tripod yoke off ebay for twenty bucks and attached it to my late wife's quality tripod. I can shoot quite accurately from sitting position with it. Seems less sturdy than traditional shooting sticks for standing. I use it for zeroing my 404. It's not a gun I can afford to shoot a lot at the range for both economic and health reasons.
I agree with offhand and on the sticks, but just sitting, at least shooting a true big bore, can be rough. I have done it after being busted by buffalo 3X in one day and was fearful standing would have resulted in yet another bust. Not enough lead in my (backside) to pull that off anymore. Kneeling is Kosher. Sitting on your (at least my) butt is tenuous. OK with .375 subject to the question, but no go the big boys.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NanRountre

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!
We 'll visit Livingstone / Vic Falls for 3 days and 2 nights. Back to Mapcha by car, back to WDH with Airlink (grab my rifles and belongings) and the same day back to Frankfurt.
What do you mind from your own experience ? and your wife .? Did she appreciate ?
We already hunted Namibia in 2022, May for PG near Outjo for 8 days. Great country.
Thank you for your advises.
Philippe
Hello Cecil
I am Philippe from Center of France. I plan to hunt Zambezi with Zana Botes in 2026, Oct after a couple of days for PG in Namibia in his lodge. I will be with my wife. She is not really a huntress and we promised to go visit Vic Falls. I imagine to go to Caprivi by car , hunt there 7 days (for buff) and go by car to Vic falls (PH will bring back my rifle) . sorry I am required to write 2 messages
buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com