Thoughts on the 9.3 x 62 Mauser

I LOVE the 9.3x62 and only wish I could afford one now! Perhaps in the future. I owned and hunted with a ,375 H&H up in Wyoming. But I fell in love with the 9.3x62 at first sight. It is all one ever really needs hunting the timber for bull elk in grizzly country.

I LOVE the 9.3x62 and only wish I could afford one now! Perhaps in the future. I owned and hunted with a ,375 H&H up in Wyoming. But I fell in love with the 9.3x62 at first sight. It is all one ever really needs hunting the timber for bull elk in grizzly country.
@Paparock94
All one ever needs for that game is a 35 Whelen loaded with 250gainers at 2,700fps. Will cover both timber country and ranges out to 300 yards.
Bob

I was just out sighting my 9.3x62 in after swapping scopes. That rifle just puts a big smile on my face! I think I need to get another eland tracking hunt in the Kalahari on the books!

@Paparock94
All one ever needs for that game is a 35 Whelen loaded with 250gainers at 2,700fps. Will cover both timber country and ranges out to 300 yards.
Bob

I gave my .35 Whelen to my only grandson that is a hunter as he lived in Pennsylvania where there are monster black bears to be hunted. Also a good excuse for me to get that 9.3X62 and maybe my grandson and I can go bear hunting together! He, He!

1649196428330.jpeg

743-pound bear bagged by Nazareth, PA.​

images

Record bear in Ulysses, PA,
Now those are NOT your typical black bears!!! There is a HUGE difference between your average North American black bears and these monsters and I am not just talking about mere size but about the bullet construction that it takes to go through the massive amount of mucle and heavy bone to get into where such an animal lives to put them down for keeps. Light deer bullets will never make it through their shoulders into the vitals. You do not want to go into the heavy brush after one of these massive bears after you have wounded it and ticked it off! As the old saying goes use enough gun but also use enough BULLET! I like Nosler but Swift A-Frames might be found in my gun as well.

Attachments

• 1649196428330.jpeg
    1649196428330.jpeg
    14.4 KB · Views: 63
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
What are your favorite bullets for the 9.3x62?

Since, I am in the USA I am especially interested in the performance of bullets on large bears on North America if anyone has first hand experence. The 9.3 is gaining some popularity here it seems and rightly so after its storied reputation in Africa. It seems to me to be the perfect average person's caliber as bear defense in grizzly and brown bear country without having to deal with a magnum rifle.

It would also seem to me as the perfect rifle for trophy class big black bear hunters to put the larger bears down cleanly and swiftly offering both entry and exit holes if tracking is needed offering a more likely blood trail.

I know I’m a broken record, but I like the 286 gr Swift A-Frame for heavy stuff. I’ve been shooting the 270 Speer hot cor on small stuff (deer), but really want to work up a load with the 250 gr AB.

I know I’m a broken record, but I like the 286 gr Swift A-Frame for heavy stuff. I’ve been shooting the 270 Speer hot cor on small stuff (deer), but really want to work up a load with the 250 gr AB.
You are not a broken record! I want to hear about the Swift A-frame. Do you think they are to heavily contructed to upen up good on a heavy say 500lb. bear on a shoulder shot then traveling through the chest? Or do you think the 250 gr. Swift A-Frame would performe better?

You are not a broken record! I want to hear about the Swift A-frame. Do you think they are to heavily contructed to upen up good on a heavy say 500lb. bear on a shoulder shot then traveling through the chest? Or do you think the 250 gr. Swift A-Frame would performe better?

They are the only bullet we took for the 9.3 in ‘19. Excellent performance on Cape buffalo, eland, nyala and warthog. I have used 270 gr A-Frames in my .375 on brown bear with excellent results. I would expect the same from either the 250 or 286 gr A-Frames in the 9.3x62.

You should not take a long shot on a brown bear so trajectory is not an issue. I’d lean to the 286.

The bread and butter bullet weight for the 9.3x62, and other 9.3’s has been the 285 gr - 286 gr bullets.

As I have said in other posts, if you have a good, strong, modern action, you can load the 9.3x62 up to 60k psi, and it’ll flatten the trajectory of the 285-286 gr bullets quite a bit, and still not have a fire breathing, mule kicking monster on your shoulder when hunting.
2400-2500 fps is extremely deadly on anything here in N. America. That’s including the biggest, nastiest, meanest bears here.

Hawk

I have used the 300gr Aframe (9.3x74 double) on eland, sable. I have used the 250gr accubond on 14 plains game with wildebeest being the largest and civiet the smallest. I would use the 250's on black bear and the 286 or 300gr on griz/brown bears in a heartbeat.

The bread and butter bullet weight for the 9.3x62, and other 9.3’s has been the 285 gr - 286 gr bullets.

As I have said in other posts, if you have a good, strong, modern action, you can load the 9.3x62 up to 60k psi, and it’ll flatten the trajectory of the 285-286 gr bullets quite a bit, and still not have a fire breathing, mule kicking monster on your shoulder when hunting.
2400-2500 fps is extremely deadly on anything here in N. America. That’s including the biggest, nastiest, meanest bears here.

Hawk
@hawkeyesatx
That's the same with the Whelen.
The 275gn or 280 AFrame at 2,500fps should prove just as deadly. Elmer Keith killed his world record bear with 275gn in his Whelen.

Ft-lbs May never actually kill an animal, but hydraulic displacement from the medium bores and up will cause major internal organ disruption, along with the size of wound and blood loss from the size of holes made in the animals.
The .35 Whelen and 9.3x62 create hydraulic displacement above their paper ballistics, and I think that’s why they’ve been around for such a long time.

Hawk

Ft-lbs May never actually kill an animal, but hydraulic displacement from the medium bores and up will cause major internal organ disruption, along with the size of wound and blood loss from the size of holes made in the animals.
The .35 Whelen and 9.3x62 create hydraulic displacement above their paper ballistics, and I think that’s why they’ve been around for such a long time.

Hawk
I’ve yet to find an animal that has read any paper work on what can kill them and what can’t. These two cartridges are pretty good at what they do.

The reason I like the 9.3 today is the current availibility of great top quailty factory ammo for it as compared to the .35 Whelen which is also a great cartridge. The .338-06 is also a great black bear round but with limited ammo availibility and it diserves a wider following when a magnum is not needed. Some people try to replace magnum power with shooting ability to place a properly constructed bullet where it should go with the first shot which never works out the way they hope.

I loved my .375 H&H, which was custom fited to me by a gunsmith friend of mine. It was more comfortable to shoot than my .30-06. It makes a world of difference when a rifle is set up buy an expert for you. I love medium bores like the .375 H&H!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BernardoCh

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with