Thoughts on Barnes TSX, TTSX, and other solid bullets (Fox Bullets from Slovenia)

What are your thoughts on these projectiles?

• Total voters
FOX-expandida-1.jpg
FOX-expandida-2.jpg
FOX-expandida-3.jpg
PC061630.jpg
PC061631.jpg
Puntas-9-3-1.jpg
Puntas-9-3-2.jpg
Puntas-9-3-3.jpg
Puntas-9-3-4.jpg
Puntas-9-3-5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I started using Barnes bullets in 2005 when I made my .375 RUM for a Cape Buffalo and PG hunt in Zimbabwe and South Africa. I loaded and used 300 gr TSX bullets for that trip. They shot moa and worked very well on my Buffalo and on PG down to the size of a Jackal.

In 2012 I used my .375 RUM with 270 gr TSX bullets on another South African hunt and again they worked very well on PG from Steenbok to Eland.

The only other hunt that I've used my .375 RUM on was for a Brown Bear in Alaska in 2021. I couldn't get Barnes bullets for that hunt, so I used 281 gr Hammer bullets, which shot and worked well.

In 2009 I put together a .300 Weatherby Vanguard, and new gun, new bullets, so I started loading it with 168 gr Barnes TSX bullets. They also shot moa and I used them for an exotics hunt in Texas, a Montana bull elk, and a South African hunt for PG from Klilpspringer to Sable. All of the animals that I shot with this rifle and bullet were one shot DRT kills.

Then in 2012 I switched my .300 Wby load to 168 gr TTSX bullets that I used on another Montana bull elk, a Red Stag and several other animals in New Zealand, and two hunts in Mozambique for my Leopard, and a number of PG animals up to several Sable antelopes. On my first trip there, the Sable wouldn't cooperate with @BRICKBURN, so he set aside his archery gear and lowered himself to kill his Sable with my .300 Wby and a 168 gr TTSX bullet. :cool:

And in 2017 I put a Leupold CDS scope on my .300 Wby and had them make a turret for my Barnes 180 gr TTSX load and all worked perfectly on a 327 yd shot on a Dagestan Tur in Azerbaijan. I think that will be my hunting bullet in that rifle from now on.

The last pictures show an expanded 220 gr FOX.
The other two bullets are 250 gr Hornady GMX and Barnes TTSX 250 GR.
The magazine length of my ZKK 600 allows to use that long 9,3x62 cartridges. The distance-to-lands in an original 9,3x62 CIP chamber, veeery long, is almost never a limiting factor.

CF

@Battering Ram I appreciate the feedback, and makes sense to me. What scenarios are you using the LRX over the TTSX?
Good question Raven. I developed loads in my 270’s and 7mm mag before the LRX came out. The 270’s I was using the TSX 130’s and I liked the BC on the 129’s. Typical range for elk where I hunt is 400 to about 650 and I wanted to carry a little more energy down range. I made the switch to the LRX’s for the 270’s. I liked the performance (a few elk and deer harvested at those ranges). I bought the 7-08 for my wife and played with the ballistics of a few different bullets. I believe the 145 LRXs gave that rifle the best rang vs energy vs speed. She’s killed two elk with it now and both required one shot each. The 300 win mag I bought for the purpose of the 175 LRX. I felt like I could get good speed and extended knock down power with that combination. It’s taken two mule deer at 400 plus yards and one elk at 550ish. Pass through on all three. My RUM I developed the TTSX load for when those bullets first hit the market. It shoots so well I can’t bring myself to tweak it. Every elk I’ve shot with it dropped like it was hit in the head with a hammer. I have some 175’s for it but I just haven’t loaded them. My 6.5 PRC I wanted longer range and the LRX BC for the 127 just isn’t what I’m looking for. If Barnes makes a change up and gets a little better BC in their 6.5 mm bullets I will make the change for sure. Long answer to your short question is load development based on what bullet technology was available at the time. I do like the LRXs for sure. I would and do recommend them to everybody.

i might be interested by the fox bullets already using some tsx ones but i need to test them before making any commitment and from what i gathered fox is trying to sell them in canada as well.

I’ve used Barnes bullets around the world on the largest animals you can hunt. They worked perfectly, every time. They are also very accurate.

I hope they eventually get caught up enough to produce the Safari and LRX lines as those are the best of breed IMO.

Here is a review on Fox .366 dia, 250 gn Classic Hunter bullets. Media was newsprint, but looks like reasonably conducted test. Their other tests seem legitimate.

List of bullets reviewed and others in testing. 366, 375 and 458 as well as smaller.

Sako Powerhead and S&B Exergy 366 dia look interesting.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pearline33

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia