Thoughts on 358 Norma Mag & ER Shaw Barrels

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am interested in building a 358 Norma mag off a 1909 Argentine action I have. Just want to get some other peoples opinion on the cartridge before I dive in. Also curious what y’all think of ER Shaw barrels. I was thinking of ordering their barrel and having them fit it to the action.
Just to mention, I am looking at this caliber because I already have several 30 cal magnums as well as 375’s. I also have a 308 Norma that shoots quite well.

Thanks in advance!

I shoot a 358 Norma Mag from a shortened to 20” barreled Husqvarna commercial Mauser, drops moose and black bear ware they stand. No flies on this cartridge at all! If you reload, 338 win mag brass is always available. Norma make’s factory ammo that is around, just have to look. I also have a 308 Norma Mag that I use for deer, also an awesome cartridge. Build it and enjoy!

I shoot a 358 Norma Mag from a shortened to 20” barreled Husqvarna commercial Mauser, drops moose and black bear ware they stand. No flies on this cartridge at all! If you reload, 338 win mag brass is always available. Norma make’s factory ammo that is around, just have to look. I also have a 308 Norma Mag that I use for deer, also an awesome cartridge. Build it and enjoy!

I do reload so I’m not super worried about ammo availability. I know a guy that has 200 factory Norma rounds but he wants like $3.75 a round.

At the last several Dallas Arms Collectors gun shows, there have been two sellers with a number of vintage 358 Norma Mag factory ammo boxes. If memory serves, i think they were asking 60 or 70 dollars per box.

I am very pleased with the 35 Whelen Ackley barrel Shaw put on my Rem700. I am also looking for them to do a 358 Norma Mag barrel on a Howa actioned Wby Vanguard.

I have a close friend that is on his 4th build with Shaw as we speak.

I believe you will be pleased with their work.

358Shooter

I have heard they have a quality control issue. I was told out of ten you get:
2- sub MOA
2- MOA
2- 2 MOA
2- 4 MOA
2- Trash
May not be the case but that is what I have been told. One of the reasons I like to ask the question. It seems like most everyone is happy with the quality of barrel they have received from Shaw.

2- sub MOA
2- MOA
2- 2 MOA
2- 4 MOA
2- Trash
May not be the case but that is what I have been told. One of the reasons I like to ask the question. It seems like most everyone is happy with the quality of barrel they have received from Shaw.
Between my buddy and I, we have had no problem getting our rifles with Shaw barrels to shoot sub-moa. His .260 & 264 Win Mag have been absolute tack drivers, easily reaching 3/4 - 1/2 moa. While his 300 Win Mag needed some work to reach sub-moa levels, while never reaching the accuracy of his 6.5mm's.

My expectation for the 35 Ackley build was based on its mission. Deer, Elk, Moose and Bear at close to moderate ( 0 - 250/300yds ) range. Roughly an 8 inch vital area on a deer to roughly a 18-20 inch vital area on a moose. The rifle is a 3/4 MOA rifle, with many different loads getting there. Am I happy with that? Absolutely. Is a 3/4 MOA rifle "Needed" for what and how I plan to hunt? I would say, no, not at all. Even a 2 MOA rifle would accomplish what I intend to use it for. However, there should be reasonable expectation that a custom barrel maker would produce something that performs better than MOA.

If I had one critique of ER Shaw, communication and follow up at times could have been better. Other than that, I'm pleased. That is why I will be working with them again on the .358 Norma build.

358Shooter

Between my buddy and I, we have had no problem getting our rifles with Shaw barrels to shoot sub-moa. His .260 & 264 Win Mag have been absolute tack drivers, easily reaching 3/4 - 1/2 moa. While his 300 Win Mag needed some work to reach sub-moa levels, while never reaching the accuracy of his 6.5mm's.

My expectation for the 35 Ackley build was based on its mission. Deer, Elk, Moose and Bear at close to moderate ( 0 - 250/300yds ) range. Roughly an 8 inch vital area on a deer to roughly a 18-20 inch vital area on a moose. The rifle is a 3/4 MOA rifle, with many different loads getting there. Am I happy with that? Absolutely. Is a 3/4 MOA rifle "Needed" for what and how I plan to hunt? I would say, no, not at all. Even a 2 MOA rifle would accomplish what I intend to use it for. However, there should be reasonable expectation that a custom barrel maker would produce something that performs better than MOA.

If I had one critique of ER Shaw, communication and follow up at times could have been better. Other than that, I'm pleased. That is why I will be working with them again on the .358 Norma build.

358Shooter

Valid point on the accuracy required for that guns purpose. It is one of the reasons I was not super worried about using their barrels. Now when you say, needed some work, are you saying it took some work to develop proper loads to shot well?

2- sub MOA
2- MOA
2- 2 MOA
2- 4 MOA
2- Trash

Probably a lot of truth in that. They are not a premium barrel. There are other options, you don’t have to use ER Shaw for the barrel or the work. Most people who use them do so because they are a less expensive option than some of the others.

Probably a lot of truth in that. They are not a premium barrel. There are other options, you don’t have to use ER Shaw for the barrel or the work. Most people who use them do so because they are a less expensive option than some of the others.
Did you have those results or based just off hearsay?

My .358 Norma has a 24" Schilen barrel with a 1:12 twist.
225 TSX at 2920 with Varget or H4350.
250 Nosler at 2800 with H4350 or Big Game.
280 Swift at 2650 with H4350.
310 Woodleigh at 2500 With H4350.
.338 Win cases work just fine without fireforming.
I don't know about Shaw barrels but have been very happy with Schilen and Douglas.
I like this cartridge.

Ive never owned or shot any of the Norma Mags... but.. I have owned several rifles with ER Shaw barrels.. My experience with them is they are a very good option for "hunting" rifles..

They are affordable compared to other makers like shilen, douglass, etc.. and I've never had one of their barrels that wouldnt shoot MOA or better...

I dont know if I'd go to ER Shaw if I were trying to build a national match or a PRS type rifle..

But for a very nice custom build designed to take anything between dik dik and elephant (in the appropriate caliber) at typical hunting ranges (0 to 400 yards?) they are very suitable (IMO)..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anton12345