Thinking about a new .30—06

I would consider a Bergara B-14.

They are great rifles.

Their .30/06 has a 10:1 twist. You can get one with all the features you are looking for.

With you wanting to shoot 200-220gr bullets that would rule out a Tikka or a Sako. It’d be tough to pass on the M70 extreme. A little above what you where wanting to spend. The Vanguard is a good choice for the price point. Not sure how the newer ones shot after they made the change to resemble the MK V.
Should still be the same Howa action, B&C stock
Vanguard with Bell & carlson stock or Howa 1500 with HS Precision stock great rifles at realistic prices well built shoot usually MOA . the rifle in my avatar is a vanguard 30/06.
My wife has a Weatherby Girls Hunt 2 version.
Suits her. Bob secretly wants one but that would be skin to me buying a Creedmoor, I've had too much to say to backflip now.

@MISportsman
Can you buy Howa at the right price and trick it up to be your own custom?
I have a few Tikkas, didn't set out hell bent on Tikka but it just worked out that way

I have a Howa, and the wife's Weatherby and a Rem700

I would but or suggest Howa/Weatherby/S&W1500 for certain applications..

Another downside of Tikka is magazines are short, you might get a tight fit with those longer and heavier projectiles. Making you load short.

The only time I've seen a short magazine for a Tikka T3X is when I bought a spare 308 mag thinking it would be the same as the 6.5 CM (or 7mm08). It was too short for my reloads. Sent it back and got the correct model and all is well.

No issues with the '06 mags either. Max mag length is ~3.370", or maybe a hair less to be safe.

I'm sorry I haven't been on line in a wile. I have found another model I am looking very closely at. It is the new CZ 600. It looks very impressive, but it comes with a 20" Barrel... How would the '06 preform with a 20" barrel???

I'm thinking about giving my son my mid 90s pushfeed Winchester m70 with detachable magazine and upgrading my ’06. If I do I'd be want to spend up to $1200 and I want something that's pretty weather resistant with an internal magazine with floorplate and a 1:10 twist. I'm looking real close at the wetherby vanguard. What are your thoughts/opinions?
Tikka for the value…Model 70 for the awesome.

I'm sorry I haven't been on line in a wile. I have found another model I am looking very closely at. It is the new CZ 600. It looks very impressive, but it comes with a 20" Barrel... How would the '06 preform with a 20" barrel???
It will be just fine especially if you use hotter ammo like Hornady Superformance with bullets appropriate for the animal/performance.

You'll lose roughly 40-50 fps per inch of barrel below 24" according to most sources. With the heavier bullets and thus smaller powder charges, I'd say you'd lose less than with lighter bullets.

Plain Jane Vanguard ll, replace the Tupperware stock with a B and C or HS Precision and change the trigger to a Timney, if the two stage Vanguard is not to your liking. I have two, very accurate.

I'm in the firearms industry and part of my job is to shoot and evaluate our own rifles (Benelli, Franchi, Chapuis and Uberti--although the last two are not turn-bolts) against the competition--and I mean 90% of what's available today. I'll wear my rifleman's hat as opposed to my company colors and frankly state that with today's technology, you'd be hard pressed to find a bad product out there.

From the economical Savage and Mossberg to the pricier Winchester and Browning to the more rarefied SAKOs and similar--and all through other brands like Ruger, Weatherby, Thompson-Center, Kimber, Tikka, and of course our own brands--you'll be buying a rifle that more than likely will shoot better than most of are capable of. Any rifle without the potential for MOA--and often sub-MOA--accuracy under ideal conditions is a rarity in today's market. Triggers are wonderful compared to even 20 years ago, and each brand comes in a plethora of configurations that should satisfy most of everyone's needs and wants.

So I think the question is more about what features and extras you may require. Basic or swanky? Wood? Synthetic? Long-range? Mountain-gun configuration? Threaded? Fluted? Ceramic-covered? Light? Heavy? Which scope-mounting system? How long a warranty? What reputation for customer service? Unless you have a particular affection for a brand like Winchester (I still regret selling my Mod. 70), go for what embodies the greatest number of features and options you require. 99/100 you won't be making a bad choice.

I’ve never seen a Tikka that wouldn’t shoot extemely well.
Unfortunately I did and was mine! I had one T3x Laminated Stainless in 338 Winch and received It with some scratches in the last portion of the barrel. It shot extremely bad - changed soon. Buy I believe it was just that one, it would be a good choice buy Tikka after all...

Now my son wants to change things up a bit. Now he wants my old savage 116 300 win mag lol. If I'm going to be buying a 300 win mag I think that narrows my choices to the vanguard and the CZ-600 by my personal preferences

Actually there is. The 600 models have been recalled due to a safety issue.
From what I've read, the safety issue is that people who no have do idea what they are doing and changed the barrel putting the rifle back together improperly. It still looks to be a sound design if the proper care is taken. I'm disappointed that due to the recall it is no longer modular

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SLo66

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg