Thinking about a new .30—06

MISportsman

AH veteran
Reaction score
I'm thinking about giving my son my mid 90s pushfeed Winchester m70 with detachable magazine and upgrading my ’06. If I do I'd be want to spend up to $1200 and I want something that's pretty weather resistant with an internal magazine with floorplate and a 1:10 twist. I'm looking real close at the wetherby vanguard. What are your thoughts/opinions?

The vanguard is pretty hard to beat for the money. For your budget I'm pretty sure you could get the Sub-MOA version which has an accuracy guarantee of less than 1MOA at 100 yards. I've shot several of these guns and they all shoot great, most of em shoot well under 1MOA with handloads.

These are all the exact models I have been looking into, so I must be on the right track. In the vanguard, I'm looking at either the badlands or the multicam. The new m70 extreme weather is definitely on the table. The Tikka you mentioned is a great gun! I have a t3x lite 6.5cm that is a tack driver, but in the '06 they only offer a 1:11 twist and I like 200-220 gr bullets for black bear and larger deer species and I'm afraid the slower twist rate wouldn't stabilize the heaver bullets.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 7.13.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 7.13.34 PM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 82
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 7.13.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 7.13.37 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 73
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 7.13.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 7.13.42 PM.png
    984.7 KB · Views: 79
With you wanting to shoot 200-220gr bullets that would rule out a Tikka or a Sako. It’d be tough to pass on the M70 extreme. A little above what you where wanting to spend. The Vanguard is a good choice for the price point. Not sure how the newer ones shot after they made the change to resemble the MK V.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 7.14.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 7.14.32 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 7.14.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 7.14.34 PM.png
    1,001.6 KB · Views: 81
Having a great lust for various calibers to handle a variety of game.

At half the costs you are willing to spend:

I can say I haven't seen the need to try heavier than 172 grain bullets (only in my M1 Garand) in any of my 30-06's.

Because I used it successfully on wildebeast, kudu, hartebeast, bushbuck, impala, blesbuck, and springbok, and whitetail deer, using 165 and 168 grain bullets, for out of the box accuracy, easy to maneuver, 1.5 pound trigger pull, overall looks and feel, I'll stick with and recommend the Mossberg Patriot and the detachable box magazine for quick reloading or changing from soft to solids as various opportunity game presents themselves during a huntm.

These are all the exact models I have been looking into, so I must be on the right track. In the vanguard, I'm looking at either the badlands or the multicam. The new m70 extreme weather is definitely on the table. The Tikka you mentioned is a great gun! I have a t3x lite 6.5cm that is a tack driver, but in the '06 they only offer a 1:11 twist and I like 200-220 gr bullets for black bear and larger deer species and I'm afraid the slower twist rate wouldn't stabilize the heaver bullets.
My tikka t3 boar hunter model shoots the longer bullets just fine. I use the 180gr barnes bullet most of the time but fired nosler 200gr and Remington 220gr and they shot almost as well as the barnes 180gr. I have yet to find a load that this tikka does not shoot well.

Safe shooting

I'm thinking about giving my son my mid 90s pushfeed Winchester m70 with detachable magazine and upgrading my ’06. If I do I'd be want to spend up to $1200 and I want something that's pretty weather resistant with an internal magazine with floorplate and a 1:10 twist. I'm looking real close at the wetherby vanguard. What are your thoughts/opinions?
Fantastic your giving your Son. Your Mod. 70, get him shooting & hunting!
My thoughts on the Weatherby Vanguard is I personally know of two that shoot well under an inch! I think they are a great value for the money. Would I buy one for myself? Yes! A great rifle.

Another Tikka fan here - my T3X `06 is the blued/wood Hunter model. It shoots my 200 gr NPt reloads very well, but I prefer 180 gr A-Frames and used that load for plains game last July. The Tikka's, at 14" LOP just fit me really well.

The FN made Winchesters would seem to be a good choice as well, IMO.

It's not a $1200 gun, but it meets your requirements- A Savage Weather Warrior. I've got one in 30.06 and is a fantastic shooting gun and can take the abuse of bad weather conditions.

Current production Model 70 Extreme Weather. Honestly going from a push feed model 70 you'd almost be downgrading if you got a tikka or vanguard. Nothing wrong with either of those, they're just not The Rifleman's Rifle.

Also look for used Model 70s. If you can find a Stainless "Classic" (CRF) made in New Haven, CT, buy that. Your grandkids will thank you one day.

If you can get your hands on one, a second hand Remington Model 30 Express is tough to beat. Or a BRNO ZKK-600. Their barrel twists handle 220Gr bullets with magnificent accuracy. I've used both rifles in Africa for hunting plains game. Always with 180Gr-220Gr bullets.

The new Savage 110 Ultralight, blueprinted, Proof carbon fiber wrapped barrel, Sub-MOA, Accu trigger/stock 1315.00 out the door. Custom gun features at 1/2 the price, but living with a plastic gun not so easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulienneYe

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg