Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa
Preface-I recently had to return a vortex spotting scope. I thought I would share the experience with the group just as a reference. I own exactly three vortex products and one of those I found on the road at the public shooting range. I am not asking for alternative products or a critique on mine, I am just sharing an experience I had with a specific company.
Last fall while deer hunting, the ever present Wyoming “breeze” blew my lightweight carbon fiber tripod topped with a vortex viper hd spotting scope “eastbound and down” into some rocks. The scope which was in a neoprene cover, broke in half where the front and rear sections screw together. There was enough damage that they would not entirely reconnect, but I was able to duct tape the situation into useable condition.
I have some hunting opportunities coming up and suddenly realized I needed my scope fixed. So contacted the 1-800 number at vortex. Got a very helpful and well trained professional in the phone. I spoke with Kathy on 6/17 and mailed the scope after printing the label they provided by e mail.
On 6/21 I got an email that they had received the scope and it was in the service department. They offered that it would take 1-3 weeks typically. I got a notice from ups that a box was due to arrive on June 29. I was at work until today but was eager to check it out on arrival at home.
The scope does appear to be fixed-good as new is an apt description. One concern I had was the card which is for binoculars and gives no information as to what repair was performed. ?
IMG_7856.jpeg

I sent an email to vortex while eating my breakfast and before I was finished I received a Reply from “Jim.” I had inquired as to what actual repair was performed-did they use bondo or super glue or did they replace a part or two? Jim had looked at the records and it simply states that they “repaired the center body so I am not sure what they did to fix it.” He proceeds to ask if I am satisfied with the work performed.
I will give this a real workout at weeks end but it does pass the eye test.
I am happy with the service I have received. Phone calls and e mails were professionally handled and prompt. Products were well packaged. As near as I can tell the product itself was maintained, repaired and is fully functional.
So my experience with vortex no questions asked warranty was a good experience all around.
There couple have been an email sent when they shipped it, but ups did notify me. So that is picking fly shit out of the pepper. I would truly like to know what the technician actually did to repair the product but at this point it is of small importance.

I would be surprised if they didn't simply replace it. Can you tell if it is the same body? I would think the break point would be obvious. Most serious repair costs more than a replacement at wholesale costs.

I would not worry about the heading on the card, it could be as simple as that's what they had to work with. Is the model number correct? If so rock on, chances are they just gave you a new scope.

As for the tripod which was not injured-it is a leupold product and new to me. It is extremely lightweight which is why I bought it-for long backpack trips. I use it fully extended as I am over six feet and the scope does make it topheavy, a smaller backpackers model scope would be a good idea but I don’t own one.
I normally use a full size bogen tripod but it is thick and heavy and I hopes to replace it for certain trips-but I think I will just continue to pack it “most of the time.”

Take some 550 cord with you, tie the hook/strap to your pack or a rock to keep it from happening again.

Vortex is awesome to work with for sure. I dropped a pair of Diamondback binos out the back of a truck going 60mph. Called and sent in binos and in less than 10 days had a NEW pair shipped back. I also dropped my spotting scope off a cliff side Aoudad hunting busted the eye piece and scratched the lens. Again a call, shipping of the scope to Vortex and boom new scope in less than 10 days.

Not to mention the donations they send with no questions asked to my conservation organizations.

The metal pieces show some wear and the statement that is was repaired in the middle lead me to believe it is the original scope. It wears a neoprene sleeve which is genrallly outstanding protection

I did assume the binocular card is a generic form used in any product where it applies-

I like your idea-will use some p cord to do that in the future
IMG_7858.jpeg
IMG_7857.jpeg

Likely replaced it with a factory rebuild. Better than gorilla glue.

I've owned three products from Vortex (Viper PST scope, Kaibab Binoculars, and Razor HD 25-60 spotting scope) and sadly all of them were sent back for warranty issues, and I no longer own any of them. I'm sure others have has better experiences than I have, but I'm done with Vortex and paying top dollar for optics that are made in the PRC.

I've owned three products from Vortex (Viper PST scope, Kaibab Binoculars, and Razor HD 25-60 spotting scope) and sadly all of them were sent back for warranty issues, and I no longer own any of them. I'm sure others have has better experiences than I have, but I'm done with Vortex and paying top dollar for optics that are made in the PRC.

Some of their stuff is made in the PRC, the better lines are not. I would also not call anything vortex makes top dollar, mid yes.

Never had any problems with Vortex warranty

Never had any problems with Vortex warranty
Rob, It's not the warranty that I have an issue with, its the fact that I've had to use the warranty with three out of three products....

Some of their stuff is made in the PRC, the better lines are not. I would also not call anything vortex makes top dollar, mid yes.
Inline,

Once again, we agree. Not top dollar, mid price...fair enough. I've never had a problem with any of my Leupold, Lieca, or Swarovski optics.

Inline,

Once again, we agree. Not top dollar, mid price...fair enough. I've never had a problem with any of my Leupold, Lieca, or Swarovski optics.

I have had more problems with Leupold than any others I have dealt with. Schmidt and Bender would come in second place, followed by Khales then Vortex, Nikon and Meopita. The price difference between the Khales and the Vortex was 10X. Make no mistake about what I'm saying. All are good companies, all make good products. I'm running my scope turrets up and down many many times in the matches that I shoot. If you use it, it can fail. Can't expect everything to be perfect. Fortunately all my problems were addressed and corrected without any problems. The one company that stands out above the others when it came to warranty was Meopita. Parallax went out week and a half before we were to fly out on our hunt. Called the dealer and explained what happened. The called Meopita USA and let them know what happened and the situation. They gave me a number to call. Spoke to the rep, he apologized profusely. Gave him my address, he sent a new scope to replace mine before I sent mine in. He said he was going to have the return label for the old scope to drop it in the mail when I could. We were heading to Africa before he received the old scope back. They went above and beyond as far as I am concerned. I have friends that Vortex has done something similar for a match coming up.

As far as a bad taste in your mouth, well I'm willing to bet we all have a company like that. Can't fault you for your feelings, I get it from that standpoint.

Rob, It's not the warranty that I have an issue with, its the fact that I've had to use the warranty with three out of three products....
I've had two scopes that had to go in for warranty work, both mid range scopes the fact that I had to send them in for work hasn't, deterred me from owning more Vortex products.

Appreciate all your input-I will reiterate that MY intent was not to compare optics, just to share an experience I had with a company. And I felt like I was treated very well and excellent communication and turnaround time.

I do own other products from multiple companies and I have my favorites, but that is fodder for a different post

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yuvbfsgf365

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Shaker Crew | Kids Sweatshirt
https://www.braveactiveco.com/products/knit-sweatshirt
Comfortable and premium quality Knit Sweatshirt. Our Knit Sweatshirt is crafted with our exquisite recycled fabric, ensuring a soft and lightweight feel.
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia