Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england

It really is an engineering problem that will need to be solved. Thanks for posting.

that is scary

Way to harsh my mellow! We are finally getting vaccinated just to drown! FFS

Last edited by a moderator:
Great read...

We have a few experts over here in the Netherlands...

Can't speak for the rest of the world, but in the US, something like 70% of our transmission lines are at least 40 years old. I wouldn't call it an immediate danger, but like the outage back in April of 2003, a single failure can affect millions of people several states away.

I'd hazard a guess that, at least in the US and western Europe, Sierra Club types might have to get machine gunned to get them out of the way of repair/new construction work. There is no stomach for that in the west, so we're in trouble.

Four years ago as I was casting a line on Lake Cahora Bassa, and knowing the history, I pondered my fate if Kariba collapsed. Then I got a strike and the thought left me.
e-big-grin.gif

Sound familiar?????????

Dam engineers say the greatest threats for the coming decades are probably in China and India. Both countries have in the past suffered dam failures that killed tens of thousands. In 1979, the disintegration of the Machchhu Dam in Gujarat, India, during a flood, killed as many as 25,000 people.

Four years before, the Banqiao Dam in Henan, China, burst, sending a wave of water 7 miles wide and 20 feet high downriver at 30 miles per hour. It killed an estimated 26,000 people directly, including the entire population of the town of Daowencheng. As many as 170,000 more died during an ensuing famine and epidemics. The disaster has been called the deadliest structural failure in history. It was kept a state secret for many years.

Sound familiar?????????

Dam engineers say the greatest threats for the coming decades are probably in China and India. Both countries have in the past suffered dam failures that killed tens of thousands. In 1979, the disintegration of the Machchhu Dam in Gujarat, India, during a flood, killed as many as 25,000 people.

Four years before, the Banqiao Dam in Henan, China, burst, sending a wave of water 7 miles wide and 20 feet high downriver at 30 miles per hour. It killed an estimated 26,000 people directly, including the entire population of the town of Daowencheng. As many as 170,000 more died during an ensuing famine and epidemics. The disaster has been called the deadliest structural failure in history. It was kept a state secret for many years.

Imagine what'll happen downstream of 3 Gorges. Allegedly, at least the left side of the dam isn't anchored to the bedrock.

About 1 year ago, Lake Kariba was less than 12% full. A few days ago, on Mar 18, 2021 it listed as 42.6% full. Last week I thought that this was good news. Then I read this thread. Perhaps the dam will be tested by nature. Hope all goes well....FWB

Well, my house place is above both my farm pond and the nearby 20 acre lake and well above the reservoir few miles further downhill, so we at least will not be washed downstream in a flood.
Never have lived below the 100 year flood line, but some folks may not consider that when shopping for a home.

"......and if the dam breaks open many years to soon, and if there is no room upon the hill.....I'll see you on the dark side of the moon".

Probably dating myself but that line always comes to me when I read about dam problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jolandon24

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]