The Sabatti Double Rifle

this is my 50 yard target.with two different loads.

001 (3).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I've remained quiet on the double rifle front for several months, mainly out of embarrassment over the poor choices I have made. I've owned only 3 doubles, and only one out of three has been reliable. I've owned a B. Searcy in 470 NE, a Sabatti in 450-400 NE and a Chapuis in 9.3 x 74R. The first two let me down completely, especially the first one listed. Only the Chapuis, with thin-walled barrels that don't instill a lot of confidence, proved to be reliable and repeatable. I've since shed the first two, back to the manufacturer or importer, and ordered my 4th - a Chapuis in 450-400. Champlin Firearms warranty the Chapuis for life if ordered thru them, and the only other one they warranty like this is a Heym, which is excellent company to be in.

Since this thread concerns the Sabatti, I'll focus on that nightmare. I knew vaguely about the early reports of grinding out the rifling to regulate the barrels, but I knew little more about them. While visiting a Cabelas, I saw one in 450-400 that had a pachmayer decelerator pad and the regulating wedge extended beyond the muzzles. I studied the muzzles for evidence of the rifling being removed, but saw none. I quizzed the sales rep about why the regulating wedge extended beyond the muzzles (common in some makes, but not Sabatti) and the pachmayer decelerator pad, neither of which matched any other Sabatti in the store. He explained the bad rap Sabatti had obtained for grinding out rifling, and that now they are properly regulating the rifles and that this must be one that was properly regulated. I asked very specifically if this was a new rifle. He replied "yes". I then asked for the final tuning target. It showed less than 2" separation at 50 meters.

I purchased the rifle that evening, and I sincerely hoped it would perform. Even though I shoot left-handed, this right-handed rifle fit fine and for me, the stock dimensions felt perfect and the barrel thickness was impressive. The ejectors launched empties with authority, and the recoil was a non-event.

The performance, however, was unacceptable. I never shot more than 3 rounds in each barrel before allowing the gun to cool back down to ambient temperature. To get the best feel for performance, I eventually would shoot each barrel one time, then allow the rifle to cool to ambient temp. After 4 sessions of 10 rounds (5 thru each barrel, allowing the rifle to cool to ambient after shooting 1 round thru each barrel), the best 10 round composite group was slightly less than 8 inches at 50 yards, and this happened only once. The other 3 10-round groups sprayed well beyond 8 inches, and no 2-round group ever came close to the "final tuning target". All tests were done with Hornady factory loaded 400 grain ammo - the same ammo the gun was reportedly regulated with. During all tests, the gun only touched my shoulder and my hand on the forearm. The hand supporting the forearm rested in a tripod to ensure stability. I even tried cleaning, but this had the effect of making it worse until several fouling rounds were fired. The gun would then be somewhat repeatable for a few rounds (individual barrel repeatability, composite group still unacceptable), then it would become unrepeatable again.

It wasn't until one of these cleaning sessions that I noticed the rifling didn't extend to the end of barrel on a portion of the barrel circumference (both barrels). When completely clean of copper fouling, it was hard to see; but copper fouling made it obvious. It then became obvious why the regulating wedge extended beyond the muzzle - the muzzles had been cut back to remove obvious grinding marks, leaving little evidence until copper fouling showed what had been done.

Based on what I experienced, a full refund issued immediately

Whether Sabatti had anything to do with this pathetic attempt to hide a poor practice or not, I do not know.

If you do choose to go the Sabatti route, I would spend a considerable amount of time making sure the actual gun you buy has been regulated properly. As to how this should be accomplished, I don't know. I thought I could see no evidence of grinding, but it became obvious after some copper fouling. At least in my case, sales reps are not the answer, either. I have yet to see a new Sabatti with a pachmayer decelerator pad ....

Maybe it is like the old saying ... if it's too good to be true, it probably is.
Chapuis rifles are outstanding, i shoot one o daiy basis and i have several .Sadly i dont trust Sabatt.Perhaps now they are performing well ,but too much bad publicity.

Chapuis rifles are outstanding, i shoot one o daiy basis and i have several .Sadly i dont trust Sabatt.Perhaps now they are performing well ,but too much bad publicity.
I owned a Cabelas Sabatti 450/400 NE. Muzzles were not Dremeled, new in the box, so I bought it.
Regulation was with Hornady DGX, groups were Ok offhand at 50 yards( about 4 inches, about as good as I can shoot), but 8 inches high. I filed the rear sight for a better sight picture for my poor eyes, changed the front sight, still shot high. Then newer Hornady factory load did not regulate well, I found out they changed powder.
Reloading, trying different powders, I settled on Reloder 15, max book load. That worked. Added a Trijicon RMR, now I could hit my target at 50 yards. Then a pin inside the action broke, jamming up the triggers. This after about 300 rounds over 8 years.
My gunsmith made pins out of hardened metric drill bits, fixed and trigger pulls at 5 and 6 pounds.

After a few dozen rounds, made the decision to sell it to fund a future 1st buffalo hunt and my .458 WM, with a low power scope is the best choice.

I sold here, this past spring, to a fellow member here with full disclosure in my add, and talked with the buyer with full knowledge of the history of this rifle.

He brought it to Africa, with family, his nephew took 2 buffalo with the Sabatti. He sent me a text and pictures. Satisfying to know that the rifle did the job, and they had a successful hunt.

If finances permit, I would buy another Sabatti again, with ejectors, same caliber. The newer ones have good reviews. But prices are now $7K plus. I may look for a Chapuis, for a couple thousand more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShayLazar

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]