The normal first timer questions

mgp3521

Reaction score
My buddy had a little too much to drink at a Rocky Mountain elk foundation banquet and won the auction for a 10 day South African plains game hunt for 2. He asked me to go with him and I couldn’t say no
Between our schedules and the hunting guide the only date we could do was in the middle of November.
I’ve been researching this forum for weeks trying to see what I’ve gotten myself into it seems like November is going to be hot. Dumb question but is it ok to hunt in shorts and some hiking shoes? Or should I stick with pants?
The package includes blue wildebeest, impala and blesbuck. I’m planning on taking a .308 with Barnes 168 grain ttsx bt or nosler trophy grade accubond 165 grain. Are both of these rounds sufficient?
Is global rescue or some other type of travel insurance a good idea or is South Africa a pretty safe area?
I’ve never been on a guided hunting so I am really jumping into the deep end with this one. This forum has helped answer some of my questions but I’m sure I’ll have more.

First off, welcome!
The combined knowledge on this page is incredible. As such, I will bow to the group as I have only been to S.A. once myself. My only comment will be..... If possible find out the outfitter and Province. S.A. terrain and elevation varies even with plains game. It will affect the clothing and gear questions and recommendations.
> edited to add: November 2024?

I rocked hiking shorts and Lowa hiking boots for a three week hunt. Besides being a little chilly it worked out perfectly. Shot everything out to 200-ish yards with a .308 shooting mystery rounds loaded with 180 grain mystery bullets. I'd probably prefer a .30-06 though. I wouldn't bother with travel insurance or global rescue since SA is pretty chill. I'd be more worried about rolling an ankle while you're out walking day after day. You might very well be riding in a pickup or land rover which means even less risk. If you've ever been to the Texas hill country the terrain is almost identical cactus and all. Take some really good binoculars with you

IMO the evacuation service from global rescue is more than worth it for a temp membership...Imagine you got in a car accident during a commute, they will get you home at least and not saddle your family with the logistics and financing of all that. A couple hundred bucks for a little peace of mind.

Like mentioned before ..... depends on what province. Eastern cape is a lot different than most of Limpopo. Since the wildebeest is on the menu I would elect the Barnes over the Accubond. I'm just not a fan of the Accubond for bigger stuff.
If your health insurance doesn't cover anything during foreign travel I would suggest some insurance. Doesn't necessarily have to be Rip Cord or Global Rescue but just some travel health care. It is very reasonable and good peace of mind.
Don't over pack..... we all did it our first time even though everyone told us not to. Laundry service is typically daily minus Sundays.

Where and who are you going with? And yes, a .308 with a Barnes 168gr TTsX will get the job done. We went for the first time in June and shot everything with a .308win. Duiker and steenbok to kudu, wildebeest and Zebra. All died.

Travel insurance is a good idea. MedEvac hopefully not necessary but peace of mind makes it worth it to me. Everything else trust your outfitter. Enjoy and looking forward to hunt report.

Just prepare to become addicted! Have a great hunt.

As for clothing suggestions, this and many, many other questions are expected by your outfitter/PH. They're in the best position to make recommendations.

I think you are on the right track so far. There are 4 things I would suggest.

The book "The Perfect Shot Africa" by Dr. Kevin Robertson, so that you get a good idea of African big game anatomy and proper shot placement.

Take a camera of some sort with a good long range lens. There are plenty of memories that you just won't be able to capture with your cell camera.

Take a side trip to one of the big National Parks like Pilanesburg or Kruger.

Visit Safari Outdoor in Pretoria. Kind of an African version of Bass Pro or Cabela's. I had no idea that I needed a Lord Derby Eland till I saw the one they had there.;)

Your bullets are good, either choice. For shorts or pants, it’s up to you and the terrain you are hunting. Brushy areas I often opt for pants and only wear shorts at camp. I personally wouldn’t get global rescue for South Africa unless you are older and at risk of heart attack or stroke. It’s more valuable in other countries where there is no quality medical care if needed. They’d likely evacuate you to South Africa anyway if you were hunting another African country.
The outfitter I assume you are hunting with has caused some controversy here on AH in past. If the high volume experience isn’t for you after the hunt just remember most outfitters offer a more personalized experience with greater attention to detail. The package you got will likely only take you a day or two to collect. Give some consideration to what else you’d like to take for remaining days so you aren’t caught off guard when your planned package hunt finishes early.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ian8450281

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Brian wrote on Skshyk's profile.
Thank for the laughing post! You have a keen sense of humour. I am usually able to just ignore those geniuses but this time I could not get past it. chuckle, Brian
Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]