The Hunting Leopard Which Almost Killed My Client

Very entertaining story! Thank you for sharing!

I do have a question - when the leopard charged the first time and the client accidentally hit the magazine release, all 4 cartridges dropped. Am I to understand that he was following a wounded leopard without a round chambered?
Cagkt3
I was having the same thoughts and wondering why he didn't pull the trigger while the rifle was in the beasts mouth.
Bo

My dear friend Ponton
Another very exciting hunt by your friend Riaz. The client was indeed a very lucky man . Riazs actions surely saved his life. For the pellets to have flattened on the animals muscle means they are one tough critter, not to be taken lightly.
Please get Riaz to translate more of his exciting tales.
Your friend
Bob Nelson
Why thank you so much , Bob ! This is exactly why I much prefer spherical ball cartridges over LG cartridges for use against forest panthers and other larger 4 legged game .

Major Sir

This was another brilliantly written story . I remember Riaz relating this story to me in 1975 . Upon hearing about how the client’s magazine’s floor plate had popped open after his knuckle hit the release lever , I resolved to have my 7 millimeter Remington Magnum built on a Springfield Model 1903 receiver instead of a Mauser 98 receiver.
In a rifle that employs a Springfield Model 1903 receiver , your probability of something like this occurring is literally zero .
View attachment 345770
Friend Panther Shooter
It is good to see your writing again.
I hope you are keeping safe and well my friend.
I also have a blind magazine on my hunting rifles. It may be a pain to unload but I know I can never lose my cartridges thru a simple malfunction
Bob Nelson

Holy smokes! He’s lucky he didn’t grab his arm. It seems Tobin was wise to only use solid bullets in his .423. I prefer the Military Mauser floor plates as you need a cartridge point to open it, it’s much more foolproof.
Those RWS brand .423 Mauser calibre 347 grain soft point cartridges were vile , shoddily constructed things , Master Smith.

Well Major, your friend Riaz is a fine hunter, and a lucky man too.

I really enjoyed the story !

By Riaz Sharrif

EPILOGUE

“ My client was fortunate enough to remain largely unscathed by the attack of the wounded Hunting Leopard . He had suffered a few fairly deep scratches on his chest and arms . However , other than that... he was perfectly alright . His wife was crying out of joy to see her husband , safe and sound. Loha opened a first aid kit ( which he was carrying in his bag pack ) and proceeded to clean out our client’s injuries with the contents of an ethanol bottle . Our female client and Loha then proceeded bandage our male client’s injuries .

I supervised the coolies as they flayed the carcasses of the two Chital Stags ( Shot by our female client and myself ) and the Hunting Leopard . The Hunting Leopard had been shot five times - Once by a 10.75x68 mm Mauser caliber 347 grain RWS soft nosed bullet and four times by Eley Alphamax LG cartridges. He was certainly rather tenacious of life . The 347 grain soft nosed bullet had penetrated one lung of the Hunting Leopard , prior to shedding it’s jacket and failing to penetrate into the second lung . 11 LG slugs went found , lodged in the rock hard muscles of the Hunting Leopard’s shoulder ... virtually all of them flattened against the muscles . Seven LG slugs were found lodged against the facial muscles of the Hunting Leopard... also flattened .Three LG slugs had managed to punch through the skull of the Hunting Leopard ( in the region... right above the two eyes ) and reach the animal’s brain . This was what had finally downed the resilient animal , permanently.

I was extremely terrified of what might happen to me ... if my injured client had decided to complain about me to Mr. Shukla , for failing to protect him . Losing my job at Allwyn Cooper Limited would be the least of my worries . Professional Shikaris could get hung to death by the police for letting their clients get killed during Shikars , back in those days . Professional Shikaris could also get sent to prison for up to five years for letting their clients get injured during Shikars , back in those days . Perhaps if fortune smiled upon me ... I could walk away from the entire mess by merely having to pay a fine . Miraculously , none of those eventualities had occurred .

On the contrary ... neither of our clients could stop singing praises about both Loha and me , to Mr. Shukla . My male client tipped me handsomely for saving his life and the female client tipped Loha handsomely for his services , as well . Needless to say , Mr. Shukla was extremely pleased with the way both Loha and I had carried out our duties .

Thus , not only were our clients perfectly safe... but Loha and I had both received our payment , a generous amount of tips and a delicious Chital Deer ( The venison of which , we shared with Loha’s wives and children ) at the end of this Shikar .

I will conclude by sharing one thought , however . Had my male client been armed with his wife’s Combination Gun instead of his 10.75x68 mm Mauser caliber bolt action rifle , while he and I were spooring the wounded Hunting Leopard ... then the Hunting Leopard would have never gotten the opportunity to pounce upon him at all . In fact, had my male client taken the initial shot at the male Hunting Leopard with the rifle barrel of his wife’s Combination Gun... then, it is my humble belief that the male Hunting Leopard would have died on the spot without necessitating a spooring task , in the first place . The penetration capabilities of those 9.3x74 mm R caliber 286 grain soft nosed bullets were immense . I have no doubts that a well placed double lung shot from this weapon ... would have cleanly punctured both the lungs of the male Hunting Leopard without any shortcomings , whatsoever . “

THE END
And another great hunting story from our Shikar friends!
Doug

Oh , those .423 Mauser calibre German RWS brand 347 grain soft point cartridges were vile , vile things , Mark Hunter !
Tobin Stakkatz used to use the exact same make and model of weapon during his career as a professional shikaree . He despised the performance of those German RWS brand .423 Mauser calibre soft point cartridges SO MUCH... that he would exclusively use German RWS brand 347 grain solid metal covered cartridges for hunting EVERYTHING !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lula005117

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well