The Gun That Got Away

1) A custom made .505 Gibbs with an extended drop box magazine which was built by Joe Smithson on a Granite Mountain Arms African Magnum Mauser action with a Douglas Premium barrel and a classic French walnut stock.

2) @xausa ’s custom made .458 Winchester Magnum which was built on a Springfield Model 1903A3 action.

3) A pre ‘64 Winchester Model 70 Super Grade which was chambered in .300 Holland & Holland Magnum.

4) A Heym Jumbo .600 Nitro Express sidelock ejector double rifle
(although, considering that I now another German .600 Nitro Express double rifle … I’d say that I eventually got the last laugh on this one)

A shotgun that almost managed to get away from me, was a 12 gauge (3” Magnum) Beretta Model 626E boxlock ejector side by side. But I eventually did manage to buy one in 1990.

I can’t think of any that got away from an initial purchase…

But I can think of several that I let slip away when friends decided they really wanted it.. or that got traded or sold in the interest of buying something else…

A mid 50’s built husqnavarna in 30-06 that was absolutely pristine…

A ww2 singer built, all matching parts, .30 carbine

A ww2, all matching parts, Remington built 1911

There’s a whole lot more on “the list”… but those are probably the top 3…

Pistol…Kimber Pro CDP 45ACP from the first run of these. Was pristine and would be worth a mint now. Sold to a friend who I haven’t seen in 20 years.

Shotgun…Browning A5 16 bore made in 1953 in Belgium. Sold to a friend and I occasionally see it shooting clays.

Rifle…CZ550 375H&H with AHR #2 upgrade. Sold to another AH member.

All that said, I have no regrets about selling them. I’m glad they are bringing joy to the ones that own them now.

my local gun shop had a used gun for sale that was an 1894 Winchester from 1895 in 38-55 win. I would have loved to work up some black powder loads for that thing. too bad, I didn't have the money.

Only 2 that I think of regularly.

The first was a, or actually two Beretta Silver Pigeon V 28 ga. shotguns on the used rack at Gander Mountain about 20 years ago. As far as I could tell neither were really used. They only had $1600 on each. I brought my mom over to look at them but I was only 14 and neither one of us could afford even one of them. The next time I was there both were gone. Now they're discontinued and well over 3 or 4k IF you can find one. Turnbull currently has a beauty for sale for only 6k. I still dream about that gun and those beautiful gold inlaid birds and beautiful walnut.

The second is a custom rifle of a caliber and make I won't share as I pray it will pop up again someday. I watched it for many months or maybe over a year on a couple of gun sale/auction sites. I started a new job in Jan. making good money but had credit card bills to pay off from my trip to Namibia that took priority. By the time I could buy it it was gone. Missed it by a couple of weeks.

In my early teens, I missed out on a CMP M-1 Garand in amazing shape for $500. I just didn't have it then. I'' always regret that one.
Before last Christmas, I found a CZ-550 Safari in 458 Win Mag at a local pawn shop. Not my ideal chambering, but it was only $800 and in good shape. With the prices they are going for online it would have been a pretty good deal. However, I was thinking of others, since it was Christmas, and said no I need to buy presents for not me.

For me, A beautiful old 12 gauge Browning Superposed with 2 barrels and the hardcase 1600.00

It was about 15 years ago that I had bought a *mint* Jeffery Mauser in .333 Nitro Express--didn't even pay all that much for it, all things considered. If I recall correctly it was in the $3,000 range. It came topped with a lovely Lyman Alaskan 2 1/2X in German claw mounts. I had also acquired the dies and components to handload the cartridge, and just days ago in my basement I found an unopened box of Woodleigh 300 grain bullets for it.

Well, long story short I sold it to finance the purchase of a 17th-century fencing treatise (one of my other passions). The only reason why I'm not still kicking myself is that I have gradually drifted away from bolt actions and towards single-shot falling blocks. Still, though.... Hey, at least I still have the treatise...

View attachment 496324
Hi Tom.

I have just bought Talhoffers book(Talhoffers Fechbuch)(facimile) from 1889, Prag.

The gun that got away?...a Colt pumpaction in .50-76wcf. Could have bought it for a silly money, but I couldn`t find the funds at that time.

Brno ZKK600 7x57mm with pop up peep sight
Brno ZKK600 30-06 with pop up peep sight
Brno ZKK602 300WM with pop up peep sight
Brno O/U shotgun cant remember the model
Mauser model B 22lr
Brno O/U double 9.3x74R
Brno 22 Hornet old model
Drilling 303 Br and double 12ga
Combination 30-30 Win/12ga
9.3x74R sxs double Chapuis

Brno ZKK600 7x57mm with pop up peep sight
Brno ZKK600 30-06 with pop up peep sight
Brno ZKK602 300WM with pop up peep sight
Brno O/U shotgun cant remember the model
Mauser model B 22lr
Brno O/U double 9.3x74R
Brno 22 Hornet old model
Drilling 303 Br and double 12ga
Combination 30-30 Win/12ga
9.3x74R sxs double Chapuis
No Blaser R8 in that mix? LOL

A barely used Remington 700 .300 RUM with upgraded walnut and scrolling on the receiver and magazine floor plate, custom removable brake, Leupold bases and rings, once fired brass and dies for $500 in about 2009.
And this for $1700 (seller willing to deal) with 8lbs. of powder included in 2019. I procrastinated and c' est la vie! Never again!

6DCE12B7-9FB8-4F9F-A285-7B14D75CFDC9.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
A color case Merkel double rifle in .30-06. Was at Gibson’s in Weatherford, Texas for $4k. I asked to look at the .410 SxS to which I was quickly corrected. I hadn’t seen a double in person, much less one in a smaller caliber. About a year later we had a table at the gun show and I was asked to hold its twin, but in 28g while he looked at some the wares. Haven’t seen one since.

Along withCJW, I also wanted a Silver Pigeon V. Got a deal as an NRA firearms instructor. By the time I was able to purchase a fine shotgun, Beretta no longer gave their discount.

When Longs Drug Store quit selling handguns, they sold everything in stock for less than wholesale. Could have, should have, bought several Colt SAA for the $750 price tag (boss at the time bought 2 nickel plated for $765 each). Also should have bought the last 5 Colt Double Eagles they had for $200 each. Still kick myself for these missed opportunities. :cry:

When Longs Drug Store quit selling handguns, they sold everything in stock for less than wholesale. Could have, should have, bought several Colt SAA for the $750 price tag (boss at the time bought 2 nickel plated for $765 each). Also should have bought the last 5 Colt Double Eagles they had for $200 each. Still kick myself for these missed opportunities. :cry:
I remember Long's Drugs here in the early '90s. One of the few places you could buy "full strength" beer on Sundays. The handgun thing must have been before I moved here, but I bought some reloading dies and muzzleloading stuff before they went out of business.

Don't worry, they'll be plenty of missed opportunities ahead! I think I've missed most of them in the last couple of years related to firearms and ammo for sale! LOL

I remember Long's Drugs here in the early '90s. One of the few places you could buy "full strength" beer on Sundays. The handgun thing must have been before I moved here, but I bought some reloading dies and muzzleloading stuff before they went out of business.
It was sometime in the 90s when they caved to the bs going on during the Clinton years and dropped handguns. They were a good local source for reloading components back then. I had forgotten about them selling regular beer on Sunday.
That sale didn't last long. At those prices the inventory went fast...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BonnyHicks

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?