The Draw of the Sporting Double Rifle

A fat cow for the boys..

BF 4.jpg

If you read Kevin´s opening of this thread...well here is one of my old doubles that make me feel..

She is a Joseph Lang .450/400 3 1/4 NE, built 1906 on a down scaled action..a boxlock with 28" barrels and moonsight.. Where has she been..what has she taken..? India..Africa..? She is perfect for tiger and buffalo for sure with 400 grains traveling at 2150fps..

When I shoulder her fast with eyes closed the sights are perfectly aligned..and she is very handy..recoil less than the average .375H&H bolt rifle.. She is regulated for 60 grains of cordite and 400 grain soft nose bullets...so engraved on the barrels..

She has been refinished at some point...not so very refined..but she is still tight and the barrels shine..

lang 1.jpeg

lang 2.jpeg

lang 3.jpeg

lang 4.jpeg

lang 6.jpeg

I have become a huge fan of double rifles . Yes they are complicated and need careful regulation but once sorted out they are marvelous weapons . Over the years I have accumulated a WR 450/400 side lock , an H&H Royal in 375 Flanged Magnum and a delightful Purdey 303. I also commissioned a 500NE double from John Shirley in the UK . A really interesting rifle with a snap action underlever and rising bite third fastener . It really is different . I got to specify engraving finish , case hardening , the timber and the rifle was fitted to me . It took 4 years being delivered to me in early 2018 . I subsequently fitted a 3 point diamond to front sight to better see where I was shooting .It went up to the NT in Australia and made very short work of some buffalo . Here are some pics of the rifle . I am very proud to own this rifle . Rigby are building me a 500NE Shikari rifle. I still need to wait another 2 years for it .

View attachment 609606View attachment 609607View attachment 609608View attachment 609609View attachment 609610View attachment 609611View attachment 609612View attachment 609613
Beautiful rifle! Personally I would love to see a detail photograph of that 3 point diamond front sight, and to hear more about how it works for you......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HuldaCash

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg