The day a dreamer decided to join you

Thank you people for the warm welcome.

It sounds like a brilliant advice, still I feel it's too early for me thou. I am totally unprepared:

- First and foremost, I have no experience in hunting whatsoever

- Then I wouldn't even know where to start with papers and bureaucracy

- Also most of my rifles at the moment are good to put holes through paper targets, not huge african game; maybe just my 8x57 JS WWII Mauser sniper rifle would be up to the task for some plains game, still I should at least upgrade the scope to something modern (old Zeiss ZF39 4x scope didn't even come with windage adjustment). Surely there gonna be something better for the task, thou.

So I believe the best thing for me now is to start reading a lot, learning from people that have been in my shoes before. Saving, then I'll need appropriate equipment and building some experience on easier hunting grounds here in the old continent before moving to the Premier League.

At that point my african dreams might be ready to become true.

Here some snapshots of the ol' lady. Built between 1897 and 1907 for the export, of course after all these rough years she demands some care from expert hands before being back shining to its original glory. So, soon I'll get in touch with Westley Richards, also to learn more about her past.

449861452_122158082684217015_6453563042071801776_n.jpg

449660265_122158082702217015_40307480621748871_n.jpg
Suit yourself. But I can tell you with all certainty, there is no need to overthink this "dream." I would/will not hesitate to introduce my eleven year-old grandson to hunting by taking him on a plains game hunt. Absolutely no hesitation whatsoever. PH will be right at hand and his instructions and guidance are easily followed. I swear a blind quadriplegic could shoot a blesbuck off shooting sticks, especially the quad variety. No previous experience or certification is required. None. You can find many YouTube videos of first timers on safari who have no experience with hunting or guns. Rent a rifle from the safari operator. It's a ton easier and a lot less riskier than dragging your own across half the globe.

The longer you wait, the more risky it becomes that this dream of yours will become unobtainable. As we know too well, many if not most of the African hunting countries are teetering on the edge of instability. As an example, I doubt Angola will ever be huntable again in my grandson's lifetime. At one time it was a hunter's paradise. The country is now a wasteland of rampant poaching, hopelss poverty, armed violence, and mass graves. And has been for fifty years.

The cost of hunting Africa will not be getting any cheaper in the future. Hunting opportunities in the West are rapidly disappearing and the increased pressure on resources in Africa, both from foreign hunting, tourism demands, and exploding human population, is bound to drive up safari prices. Supply and demand. Also, as we are seeing, the pressure from antihunters against trophy hunting is growing rapidly and very effectively.

There are many good reasons why you should not wait. Too many, in my opinion. Don't wait on a gun or "experience." Neither are needed. What you need to do is realize your dream while it's still possible. Once you wake up to the chilly pre-dawn song of the African Cape dove, you will know what I mean. Dream came true! Wait and the alternative may just wind up being digital recordings and watching somebody else's old videos.

Thank you people for the warm welcome.

It sounds like a brilliant advice, still I feel it's too early for me thou. I am totally unprepared:

- First and foremost, I have no experience in hunting whatsoever

- Then I wouldn't even know where to start with papers and bureaucracy

- Also most of my rifles at the moment are good to put holes through paper targets, not huge african game; maybe just my 8x57 JS WWII Mauser sniper rifle would be up to the task for some plains game, still I should at least upgrade the scope to something modern (old Zeiss ZF39 4x scope didn't even come with windage adjustment). Surely there gonna be something better for the task, thou.

So I believe the best thing for me now is to start reading a lot, learning from people that have been in my shoes before. Saving, then I'll need appropriate equipment and building some experience on easier hunting grounds here in the old continent before moving to the Premier League.

At that point my african dreams might be ready to become true.

Here some snapshots of the ol' lady. Built between 1897 and 1907 for the export, of course after all these rough years she demands some care from expert hands before being back shining to its original glory. So, soon I'll get in touch with Westley Richards, also to learn more about her past.

449861452_122158082684217015_6453563042071801776_n.jpg

449660265_122158082702217015_40307480621748871_n.jpg

I agree with Ontario Hunter, find a way to go sooner than later. Find an appropriate gun that you’re comfortable with and practice off of sticks. If you want to learn how to hunt, Africa is about the best place there is. You will be learning from a professional and will get more experience than you can anywhere else. I feel like there is actually less pressure depending on where you go in Africa because there is so much game. You will have plenty of opportunities and can wait for the perfect shot.

There’s a lot of great info on this site and I listened to a lot of podcasts before i went that were very helpful.

Greetings Roland Tembo,

Khomas Highland Hunting & Fishing Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Owning and using a special rifle in Africa is wonderful.
Once I brought a Gunsmith built, Model 98 Mauser, caliber .300 H&H, with 4x Zeiss scope, in Talley brand lever rings.
Twice, I have brought a double rifle to Africa.
One of those rifles is shown in my avatar.
It was a 100+ year old Army & Navy .450 No. 2 Nitro Express 3.5” with express sights.
The other double was a newer Merkel SxS in .375 H&H, claw mounted with a 2.5x Leupold scope.

However, maybe you would consider using a rifle belonging to whichever safari company you end up hunting with.
I have done that during four of my visits to Africa and I prefer this method.
Passing through international airports with firearms is now something that I will not do anymore.

Anyway, whichever method you decide to use, I predict that you will have a glorious first safari.
In the meanwhile, have a look into the Khomas Safaris website.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Welcome Roland. This is a great resource on guns and hunting.

So, since I dream of buying a fine safari double rifle quite as much as I dream of going to Africa someday, I chose to subscribe to the forum in the meantime to get access to more entertaining safari content to read in my free time.
Welcome to the forum!
I hope you will manage to keep your dream alive, follow it, and fire a double rifle on a Safari in some faraway land of dark continent soon.

Some thoughts:
Double rifles have some limitations (besides the cost). Consider additional a bolt action rifle. If only one needed, then 375 H&H. I am not sure that first rifle for first safari should be dangerous game caliber, and dangerous game first hunt. Thus 375 to be considered as well, and this will cover all, and be a good back up to double rifle. If DG is must, on a first safari, make combined safari for PG and DG (Perhaps buffalo)

Be aware:
Hunting is most expensive sport activity today. But some safaris , speaking for a western man, blue collar budget are surprisingly affordable.
Double rifle of fine quality will cost. Here there is no compromise. In other departments, you can compromise on price without loss of quality, primarily by picking the country to hunt, and type of trophy. (Namibia and South Africa most affordable, dangerous game: buffalo cow, instead of buffalo bull, tuskless elephant instead of exportable trophy elephant etc)

Do not be disappointed:
Old safaris of golden age of safari, of bygone era are not the same as modern safari today. Be aware of that. Old books are fascinating but paint a different picture. Read old authors to get insight of the history of safari, but also read modern authors to get knowledge of modern safari. Modern authors: Terry Wieland, Craig Boddington, Kevin Robertson, etc

Most probably you will not re-live the stories of movies "Mogambo", "Out of Africa", "Ghost and darkness", or "King Solomon mines", etc... So, do not expect that.

On the other hand, regardless the costs and modern changes - modern safari is still in my opinion the greatest adventure in the world today. Follow the dream. (I can say this after three safaris done)

Enjoy your trip, your research, gun acquisition and planning!

Here are some of my thoughts after three safaris done:

African game is diverse in size, and sometimes very resilient to the shot.
Plains game ranges from small steenbok of 10 kg till eland of 1 ton. There is Zebra of 400 kg, or 1 ton giraffe. 250 kg sable, roan, or a just a bit more elegant kudu.
On plains game calibers, I always want those to make good punch. 300 win mag, 338 win mag, 300 H&H.
Standard hunting calibers will work, but i dont prefer them in Africa: 30-06, 308 win, 8x57. etc
Some people successfully hunt Africa with 6.5 mm, 7 mm etc. But this is not my recommendation.

In three safaris that I have done: I have seen considerable number of wounding by other hunters in the camp, and wounded game - not recovered.
This was partially due to smaller caliber chosen, lower quality ammo, poor shot placement, or single shot rifles not allowing fast second anchoring shot.
Poor shot placement can come from variety of reasons, but from the group of hunters I have seen, primary reason is total lack of training by shooting from stick, as discussed over a camp fire in the evening.
There is no much discussion in public, in books, in advertising, or in magazines about wounding. So I thought is the best to highlight this issue as it is real in real life. Keep it in mind.

So best advise I can say: train from stick, choose magnum power rifle, and premium bullet.

Stronger caliber with premium bullet will give wider margin for error. So, go this route. Premium bullets are: bonded, partition or monolithic.
Classic bullets are non bonded jacket and lead core bullets (capped, soft points, or hollow points, etc)

If plains game and dangerous game is on plan, then 375 H&H is caliber of choice.

Scope should give you option for close range and medium range shots, up to 200 meters.
My choice is swarovski 1.7-10x42, with illumination. Find something in that range of some reputable brand

Mounts should be quick detachable to switch to iron sights if necessary.
My choice on bolt action is German swing mounts.

So, hope this will give you some starting research points to help at early stages, since you mentioned some calibers and early thoughts on this subject.

Here are some of my thoughts after three safaris done:

African game is diverse in size, and sometimes very resilient to the shot.
Plains game ranges from small steenbok of 10 kg till eland of 1 ton. There is Zebra of 400 kg, or 1 ton giraffe. 250 kg sable, roan, or a just a bit more elegant kudu.
On plains game calibers, I always want those to make good punch. 300 win mag, 338 win mag, 300 H&H.
Standard hunting calibers will work, but i dont prefer them in Africa: 30-06, 308 win, 8x57. etc
Some people successfully hunt Africa with 6.5 mm, 7 mm etc. But this is not my recommendation.

In three safaris that I have done: I have seen considerable number of wounding by other hunters in the camp, and wounded game - not recovered.
This was partially due to smaller caliber chosen, lower quality ammo, poor shot placement, or single shot rifles not allowing fast second anchoring shot.
Poor shot placement can come from variety of reasons, but from the group of hunters I have seen, primary reason is total lack of training by shooting from stick, as discussed over a camp fire in the evening.
There is no much discussion in public, in books, in advertising, or in magazines about wounding. So I thought is the best to highlight this issue as it is real in real life. Keep it in mind.

So best advise I can say: train from stick, choose magnum power rifle, and premium bullet.

Stronger caliber with premium bullet will give wider margin for error. So, go this route. Premium bullets are: bonded, partition or monolithic.
Classic bullets are non bonded jacket and lead core bullets (capped, soft points, or hollow points, etc)

If plains game and dangerous game is on plan, then 375 H&H is caliber of choice.

Scope should give you option for close range and medium range shots, up to 200 meters.
My choice is swarovski 1.7-10x42, with illumination. Find something in that range of some reputable brand

Mounts should be quick detachable to switch to iron sights if necessary.
My choice on bolt action is German swing mounts.

So, hope this will give you some starting research points to help at early stages, since you mentioned some calibers and early thoughts on this subject.
Words of wisdom!

Never thought I could get so many useful tips just in my presentation topic, even before starting doing my research around the other forum sections. For instance...

Rent a rifle from the safari operator. It's a ton easier and a lot less riskier than dragging your own across half the globe.

... never thought of this as a possibility, and actually semplify things a lot. Thanks.

Some thoughts:
Double rifles have some limitations (besides the cost). Consider additional a bolt action rifle. If only one needed, then 375 H&H. I am not sure that first rifle for first safari should be dangerous game caliber, and dangerous game first hunt. Thus 375 to be considered as well, and this will cover all, and be a good back up to double rifle. If DG is must, on a first safari, make combined safari for PG and DG (Perhaps buffalo)

I understand this and agree.
Even if a true hunter shouldn't care whether the animal wins or looses, I believe the worst thing that could happen to a safari newcomer is to have his trophy flee away wounded, dying God knows where.

It's not my intention to go either with too less or too much of gun, that 8x57 JS was just mentioned because I know of people going with .30-06 for plain game, but these rounds wouldn't be my first choice either; like Robert Ruark told us, use "enough" gun.

.375 H&H / .375 Flanged Magnum is probably the best all-arounder caliber, the one to have for any true hunter, and I know shot placement is the most important thing, but I am afraid there are better options for a DG double rifle. I don't want to go that up from there, .470 NE or .500 NE, depending on the best deal found on the gun, should be more than enough with a still manage-able recoil to do the job.

My idea of a cape buffalo and other DG hunt is much influenced by Mark Sullivan's vision: you could take the shot and the trophy 150 yards away with ease with a well placed .375 H&H round from a bolt action rifle, but I'd love the thrill to walk towards the beast and watch in its eye from 20-30 yards before making my move. There I think is when the quick follow-up from a double could make the difference in you getting your trophy or the PH saving your ass.

But, anyway... CZ 550 Safari in .375 H&H can be bought second hand for less than your ordinary deer rifle here on a good sale, and that would make a great PG rifle. Since I already got a CZ 452 long range trainer that I'm really in love with, I could think of start adding the bigger sister to the collection.

Do not be disappointed:
Old safaris of golden age of safari, of bygone era are not the same as modern safari today. Be aware of that. Old books are fascinating but paint a different picture. Read old authors to get insight of the history of safari, but also read modern authors to get knowledge of modern safari. Modern authors: Terry Wieland, Craig Boddington, Kevin Robertson, etc

Is there any read you feel to recommend me from the above mentioned authors? I've had "Safari Rifles" by Craig Boddington in my whishlist for a while, but don't know any other readings from him.

Most probably you will not re-live the stories of movies "Mogambo", "Out of Africa", "Ghost and darkness", or "King Solomon mines", etc... So, do not expect that.

On the other hand, regardless the costs and modern changes - modern safari is still in my opinion the greatest adventure in the world today. Follow the dream. (I can say this after three safaris done)

Enjoy your trip, your research, gun acquisition and planning!

Thank you, all your words here were really precious.

G’day from Australia.

Next thing, I came here as a dreamer or maybe just stumbled on the site.

Having romantic notions of the Golden Era, Dangerous game and fine rifles I thought it was out of my budget.

Africa is not as expensive as you think they said. True, maybe 10 months later I was on my way flying out of my hometown.

Domestic flights in regional area can be expensive but our whole safari flights and expenses came in less than a Rigby Highland Stalker would have cost at the time.

I did not take trophies or have trophy fees but I did hunt 12 animals with a hire rifle and visited 2 tourist parks.

I had the whole experience on a reasonable budget.

I have a bit of hunting experience and the guides know the property and the animal behaviour. I’m not sayi it’s easy but it’s not long hard days in freezing mountains.

I hope that helps and that all of your dreams come true.

Is there any read you feel to recommend me from the above mentioned authors? I've had "Safari Rifles" by Craig Boddington in my whishlist for a while, but don't know any other readings from him.

BASIC READ, GETTING BASIC ORIENTATION:
Terry Wieland, Dangerous game rifles, 2nd edition.
I have both books - of Craig Boddington and Terry Wieland. While Boddington is (in my opinion) more commercially oriented and discusses all types of rifles, best or not - like lever actions or single shots, targeting American safari book market, Wieland discusses double rifles and bolt actions.
Buy both books, and you will not feel sorry

Next:
From Craig Boddington take:
Safari experience - a book about overall modern safari perspective, rifles in short, countries, animals, options.
This is true manual and orientation for safari beginner. Everything in one book, plain and simple.

Kevin Doctari Robertson, Perfect shot II.
Safari rifles and bullet ballistics in short, and shot placement for most common species.
A must have for modern hunter.

With these three or four books: you will have enough orientation for further internet search. With these 3 or 4 books, you will have already a better knowledge then 80% of safari beginners I met.

WIDENING PERPSECTIVE OF MODERN SAFARI - NEXT LEVEL
If you want to know more: read 4 books by Craig Boddington: Where the lions roar, From Cape to Casserine, Tracks across Africa, and From mount Kenya to the Cape.

In each of these books he describes his next 10 years of hunting on African continent in all African countries open to hunting. Last 40 years of African continent hunting. These 4 books are basically Atlas of modern African hunting. Rain forests, savannahs, mountains, East Africa... You will get ideas. If you want to hunt mountain Nyala, Zebra Duiker, or Fringed ear oryx, you will get that type of knowledge by reading this.

HISTORY AND CULTURE - FINAL TOUCH
Robert Ruark, The horn of the hunter

Ernest Hemingway: Green Hills of Africa, The short Happy life of Francis Maccomber, true at first light

John Pondoro Taylor: African rifles and cartirdges.
(Book is great, and some calibers available today are most widely qouted from this book even now due to lack of collective knowledge of modern authors - ie old hunters killed thousands of buffalo, and thousands of elephants with big guns, modern authors much less, so when they need to make a point, they quote Taylor.

Limitiations of the book, dont be misguided. Taylor discusses calibers and bullets common and available around 1947, time when premium bullets where not around, so it is not approach to modern ballistic, but is excellent basis to upgrade the knowledge, and part of modern safari culture)

On African game trails, Theodor Roosevelt.

Death in tall grass, Capstick
The last ivory hunter, Capstick

Wanderings of an elephant hunter, WDM Bell.

I could list more, but this is my top list of books, for a start. Available on amazon, or safari press, and other platforms. My choice of books is based on quality of information or writing, and cover 100 years of safari history by choice of titles and authors by the era they came from.

WDM Bell was member of old ivory hunters prior the era of golden age of safari
Roosevelt, started the modern safari with his book
Hemingway kept interest of public between two wars
Ruark and Taylor marked the era after WW2, and brought safari culture to American public
Capstick followed till 80-ies
Boddington is modern author.

ON THE CHOICE OF GUN
Bolt action (of appropriate caliber), longer range and accurate weapon.
Double rifle, close range weapon, stopping tool.
This keep always in mind, dont mix their nature

Keep in mind that I dont remember anybody discussing DG hunt, at 100 - 200 - 300 meters with double rifle. And I dont remember any serious discussion of hunting hypo or croc in water with double rifle. For sure this is doable, but not common,
For this type of hunt, you need accuracy to hit the brain, and normal choice is scoped bolt action
Each gun has its function, purpose and place to use.

Serious caliber in 40+ class in double rifle brings its own set of challenges, regulation of barrels finding ammunition, or building your own reloads.
Secondly, closer or medium range (choice between double or bolt action) will be decided by the type of terrain, where you will be hunting, or animal, not by romantic side of approach to safari.

The best advise I can give, buy one DG double rifle 40 + cal, and one 375 HH bolt action.
Now which brand, this will depend on your budget.

If you will repeat the safaris, and keep doing the safari, then proper set of guns for various trips, would be in my opinion:
1) 300 win mag, 338 win mag, 300 H&H, or 8x68 or similar caliber, for longer shots at plains game, bolt action

2) 375 HH, bolt action, for combined PG and DG safari, or one gun for all

3) 40 + double rifle, for DG at close range.

RENTAL GUN - CONSIDERATIONS
I did touch this subject remotely earlier.
Generally rental guns are options, and in general they will be good. The problem that comes from rental gun is following.

1) Bullet: you never know what ammunition you will get with rental gun. Low quality cup and core bullets are very much possible, as in Africa, there is not much choice.

2) Skill: With rental rifle, you did not train, It is not your rifle, and you are not familiar with.

People who shoot a lot at home at range, have more experience with wider variety of rifles, in general will manage better rental gun. Less frequent shooters, will manage rental gun much worse.

On available camp bullets: keep in mind, shot placement is everything, every bullet kills, but some bullets wound more often. Think about it.

Keep in mind possibility of wounding.

If you rent a rifle for plains game I can almost assure you it will be 30-06. A 375 is not needed. It's a lot more expensive to shoot, more recoil, heavier to carry, and less range. Since 1964 I have hunted deer, elk, moose, and plains game with the same WWII 30-06 Springfield 03A3. Shot well over a hundred animals and only one required more than a day to followup and finish. Never lost one. 30-06 is definitely enough gun.

Yes, I've been close enough to see the eyelashes on moose and elk. But I stalked them in heavy timber. Plains game get that name for a reason: they live on the open plains ... generally. Don't expect twenty yard shots for them. Hundred yards is almost a close shot.

375 is a versatile gun for Africa IF hunting plains game AND dangerous game. I built a 404J for dangerous game, just a step above 375. But I wouldn't carry it to shoot plains game! Not when I have my 30-06 for the job. I'll take them both to Africa again and if an opportunity presents itself to cull another cow buffalo, I'll have some fun with the big rifle. Still haven't shot an eland so maybe it will get used for that. Otherwise, I expect the 30-06 will do the work as usual.
20230813_102935.jpg

30-06 Springfield 03A3
20240420_112851.jpg

404 Jeffery on 98 Mauser

How many gun or hunting books have I read? Zero. I am a historian by trade (with a heavy background in science and biology) but neither romantic semi-fiction nor technical literature have much appeal. Nevertheless I have managed fine without that stuff in my library. Maybe entertaining but not essential, in my opinion anyway.

How many gun or hunting books have I read? Zero. I am a historian by trade (with a heavy background in science and biology) but neither romantic semi-fiction nor technical literature have much appeal.
I have different approach.
I work offshore, and spend 6 months per year on job. So, when not hunting because I am at work, I like to read about hunting, and I always bring some books, or magazines with me to read in a spare time.
All my activities are supported back home with appropriate library. (hunting, fishing, diving, shooting, work releated, etc)

I also like to know what I am doing, and where I am going, While local hunting at home, can be much more easily followed simply by being active hunter, and by socializing with other hunters, and having frequent experiences, every weekend etc. - Africa is different, I cannot go to Africa, next morning, and be home for lunch (like I can do hunting at home).
So, the only source of information is magazines, books, or internet (and this forum specifically) to get me prepared.
PH advise, gives just basic trigger information. I prefer to know in theory more then that, although following PH advise if followed, will make successful hunt in most of the cases. I prefer to have 360 orientation in my activities.

Welcome to the family! Enjoy

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NildaCresp

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]