The day a dreamer decided to join you

Roland Tembo

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I am a clay and target shooter from Italy.

I am not a hunter, but since my sporting license will expire soon, I am thinking of applying for a hunting license in the next future. In my family we have a long bloodline of hunters, but unfortunately I moved away from my birthplace for work and now that they could be helping me getting started, I am living too far away from them.

My shooting hobby started following a personal interest for history and firearms marking the path of humans throughout history, but recently my interest started to lean towards hunting weapons, and I lost my mind for fine bespoke stuff like a Westley Richards Droplock 12 gauge shotgun I got by selling my collection of handguns.

I always enjoyed outdoors activities, but probably this turning point was mainly due to the recent discovery of my love for hunting literature too: I got my hands on some classic safari hunting books and I was blown away by the romanticized figure of big game hunters of the past going to Africa wilderness, so I started dreaming of such adventures.

Anyway I have been a long time reader of this forum because of all the precious discussions I bumped across more than once, while seeking info around the internet about exotic big game firearms and their cartridge ballistics, terminal performances, ecc.

So, since I dream of buying a fine safari double rifle quite as much as I dream of going to Africa someday, I chose to subscribe to the forum in the meantime to get access to more entertaining safari content to read in my free time.

May all of you be safe out there on you journeys.

Benvenuto Roland

Welcome, welcome.

welcome welcome welcome

Very welcome aboard Roland, you'll find here in the Club, friends and good advices - è un piacere avere un consocio Romano come me (y)

s-welcome.gif
to the forums. Rest assured all your questions will be answered.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to AH!
Now that you lifted the veil, pictures of that WR droplock would be more than welcomed ! :)

Welcome. Enjoy your new adventure getting into a new phase.

You should go now. You could buy at least a couple of plains game safaris for what you'd pay for a bespoke double rifle. Don't wait. Health can go in the toilet at any time. The adventure is feet on the ground not the gun in hand.

This is excellent advice.

:S Welcome:

Welcome to AH Roland Tembo! Glad to have you join the conversation.

Thank you people for the warm welcome.

You should go now. You could buy at least a couple of plains game safaris for what you'd pay for a bespoke double rifle. Don't wait. Health can go in the toilet at any time. The adventure is feet on the ground not the gun in hand.

It sounds like a brilliant advice, still I feel it's too early for me thou. I am totally unprepared:

- First and foremost, I have no experience in hunting whatsoever

- Then I wouldn't even know where to start with papers and bureaucracy

- Also most of my rifles at the moment are good to put holes through paper targets, not huge african game; maybe just my 8x57 JS WWII Mauser sniper rifle would be up to the task for some plains game, still I should at least upgrade the scope to something modern (old Zeiss ZF39 4x scope didn't even come with windage adjustment). Surely there gonna be something better for the task, thou.

So I believe the best thing for me now is to start reading a lot, learning from people that have been in my shoes before. Saving, then I'll need appropriate equipment and building some experience on easier hunting grounds here in the old continent before moving to the Premier League.

At that point my african dreams might be ready to become true.

Welcome to AH!
Now that you lifted the veil, pictures of that WR droplock would be more than welcomed ! :)

Here some snapshots of the ol' lady. Built between 1897 and 1907 for the export, of course after all these rough years she demands some care from expert hands before being back shining to its original glory. So, soon I'll get in touch with Westley Richards, also to learn more about her past.

449660265_122158082702217015_40307480621748871_n.jpg
449861452_122158082684217015_6453563042071801776_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Where are you in Italy? We have Italian members who I am sure would help you out.

Welcome aboard. We are all dreamers and trying to make some of them become reality.

Good day! Welcome to AH!
Best regards
Johan

Benvenuto Roland !

:S Welcome:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BudDadswel

Latest profile posts

expoB wrote on BushPig1963's profile.
Btw .. he has physically beat, abused verbally, mentally, financially abused women and in every way imaginable. Fact check, background check. He is HORRIBLE!!!
I am tired of him blowing up lives and walking off into the sunset leaving destruction in his wake. Over here in the US... Not in Africa...just so you know. I was not his victim but know some of them.
expoB wrote on BushPig1963's profile.
Senga Senga MZ . US rep Brad Joseph Clemens is involved! Con artist, owes people money. Pathological liar. Lies w/out remorse and convincingly.Doesn't reside in Oregon, he is FROM Oregon. Was living in Great falls MT til mid march... Disappeared recently.Believe a word he says & be played a fool! 1st hand knowledge. He is convicted felon. This is why he bow hunts. can't own a gun! background chk! MONSTER
expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Btw.... Brad Clemens took deposit money from Dy
. Brad was living in Great Falls as of a few months ago. He keeps running and hiding. Sound familiar. None of you posting have any idea what is really going on. Brad is a pathological liar. Don't believe any quote or anything that comes out of his mouth. He is a horrible person...1st hand knowledge and his name is toxic to many in the hunting world.
We have been very busy hunting! Lots of pictures and videos in process!