The best Kudu hunt?

A good kudu hunt is basically any kudu hunt where you're actually seeing kudu. They're just a blast.

At this point, I've killed more kudu than elk, and I grew up in Idaho hunting elk every year. I've hunted them in low fence, no fence, and high fence areas. It's all different, and it's all good.

My PH told me about a client of his who had a 60" kudu in his sights last year and passed....... Wasn't interested in kudu. I can't even begin to understand how that guy's mind works. If my PH says it's a monster, I'm done asking questions, even if I don't know for sure what it is. :)

Kudu was the #1 target on my first trip to Africa. It came together on the last night, right before dark. Early in the hunt we had a nice kudu bedded down and we waited a couple of hours for him to stand up. For some unknowable kudu reason, he chose to bed down in some brush under the only power line on the property.

Wouldn't you know it, the local power company picked that particular day and that particular hour for their yearly inspection of the line. Off went the kudu. The whole ranch population spent the next several days looking for him or another like him. The last day he was located, he had joined a small bachelor herd, and they were on the move. We hustled to get in front of them. At one point during a light jog through the grass, a cape cobra raised up flared and hissing about 18" from my leg. I was levitating in the air, my head still swiveling around to figure out why.......

Still in hot pursuit, we quickly forgot about that and eventually intercepted them as they broke into the open. Sensing something, the big bull stopped, and tried to figure out what was up. Finally on the sticks, I was a bit rattled, out of breath, and most certainly a bit overly excited. The crosshairs were dancing all over the place. I then did the smartest thing I've ever done. I took a tactical pause, got my shizz together, and made a nice 250 yard shot right where it was supposed to go. It was that or go home without.

Since that wonderful evening on the last day of my first safari I've shot bigger kudu, but maybe not a better one. Sitting around the fire that evening I had a shiver go up my spine when I thought back on the cobra......

DSC00587.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WendiTully

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is roofrunner@aol.com. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with