The Art of Robert Bateman

Phil Giordano

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Usa, Canada, Italy
Well friends, I just want to share some paintings from some Robert Bateman books I have. Obviously I'm posting poor pics from some pages, anyway for who did't know him, they could be a pleasant discover. I would stress you to search more and more paintings of him, as to me he's the most incredible natural artist in the World. Canadian, 92, he is a milestone in both super detailed kind of drawings, and in capturing the soul of the subject, too - something that very rarely go together. I shot some pics of African subjects, but he actually go from the desert to the Pole, to the Far North of his own Canada. Hope you like this fantastic artist sometimes forgotten.
2022-06-12 19.44.34.png
2022-06-12 19.44.06.png
2022-06-12 19.43.41.png
2022-06-12 19.43.19.png
2022-06-12 19.42.56.png

View attachment 470922
truly one of the greats-thanks for bringing him into the limelight today
Firebird, I have 3 books but not this one you posted! Thank you for sharing, I will search for that...
I follow him since I was a young boy, and he truly inspired me to the wild. Definitely a Giant.

Bateman and John Seerey-Lester were two of North America's great artistic treasures. Sadly, we recently lost Seerey-Lester. Like Robert Bateman, Seerey-Lester painted the natural world wherever it was found - often with a biographical theme. Two giants.

Bateman and John Seerey-Lester were two of North America's great artistic treasures. Sadly, we recently lost Seerey-Lester. Like Robert Bateman, Seerey-Lester painted the natural world wherever it was found - often with a biographical theme. Two giants.
Grateful to learn, Red Leg :giggle:(y) I didn't know about John Seerey Lester - now I want his "Legends of the Hunt"!

Starting following him after seeing an exhibit at the museum in Edmonton, AB. I've collected a number of his books and can see how he influenced many wildlife artists.

image.jpg

Seery-Lester was one of the most prolific artists of all time. I need to collect a couple more of his books still-they are fun to read and magical paintings make you believe you were there!

Last edited:
This is one of my favorites! ;) Wish it were the original. It is a limited edition giclee on canvas.

View attachment 471121
View attachment 471119

Many of works are based upon real events from historical, hunting, or safari lore. Most years, he would be at SCI working on a painting.

Fantastic, I really like it too.
Great ability in capturing that moment, the evening light, the astonishment, fear, rush...
Also I like very much the european mounts and the nice carved shield, I did the same with my best elk racks.

All excellent, thanks for sharing. From the great contemporary works posted here to the impressionist masters like Monet, it's the light! Don't even have to study it, the eye/brain automatically "sees" it.

I just got this one in the mail-picked it up in the safari press summer sale.
119CE0AA-4C0C-4A5B-AA50-197DF448A866.jpeg
0219D7FE-0CA5-4D04-845F-48D2C2863B1C.jpeg

As for European shields, I did something a bit different with mine-thought they were lovey and had to have one, the oak leaves blended wonderfully for this valley quail mount
image.jpg
image.jpg

All excellent, thanks for sharing. From the great contemporary works posted here to the impressionist masters like Monet, it's the light! Don't even have to study it, the eye/brain automatically "sees" it.
This is so true. Actually these paintings have a soul.

I just got this one in the mail-picked it up in the safari press summer sale. View attachment 471413View attachment 471414
It's beautyful for sure, great present for yourself... You know, Sir Seerey Lester seems to be quite rare to find in our european market, Bateman far more common. I placed an order to my friend at our local Anglo American book shop, a second hand book in good condition...
Hope to receive in a 2/3 weeks, everything takes a lot of time in this moment...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taqtics

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?