Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
nra
Hunted
USA,Canada,RSA
I have taken the plunge a now have my first double, a Merkel 470 with a Trijicon one moa dot.

It shoots two rounds,a soft and a solid very close together at 50 yards with the Trijicon is also very usable with the open sights.

How many people here have used the 470 in Africa?

Hoping to hear some experiences and insights on dangerous game.

Love mine. Took an eland at 150m and a buffalo at 15-paces with mine. Same set-up with RMR.

This rifle has been inspected and had trigger work by JJ Perodeau and has already been used for Cape Buffalo and lion.

Looking for advice on specific loads that have been used on dangerous game with good results.

I am hoping to hear about favorite bullets for lion,buffalo, hippo and elephant that have given had good results for people in the field as well as bullets that had problems.

What bullets did you use on Buffalo and Hippo?

I have a Heym 88B in 470 Nitro Express in that I have use extensively in Africa. It was regulated with Hornady 500 grain ammunition and that is what I use with it.

I have had no issues at all with its performance.

HH

The rifle came with handloads with Barmes TSX and Banded Solids.

These are good for Cape Buffalo and elephants but the TSX may be too tough for lion or large plains game at 470 velocity.

So experience with good bullets that expand well on large plains game or lion but still penetrate on buffalo would be good to hear.

Did you use your Heym on anything smaller than Buffalo with the Hornady DGX bonded factory ammo?

This rifle has been inspected and had trigger work by JJ Perodeau and has already been used for Cape Buffalo and lion.

Looking for advice on specific loads that have been used on dangerous game with good results.

I am hoping to hear about favorite bullets for lion,buffalo, hippo and elephant that have given had good results for people in the field as well as bullets that had problems.

JJ went over my Belgian top to bottom as well. He installed his RMR mount on the rib and checked the regulation. The Belgian, made in 1956, prefers Swift A-Frames at 2150fps. I had custom loads done by Hendershot’s because I am not set-up to reload .470 however, the factory Federal A-Frame loads shot really good.

I've hunted exactly once with my 470, so FWIW....... Used it last year for the first time in Uganda. 500gr A-Frames that I hand loaded did the trick. First shot wounded the buff and I'm sure would've killed him. He moved off initially with quick but labored steps, whirled about and came back back to where he started. As he slowed down I was recovering from the first shot and getting back on him for a second. The second shot dropped him where he stood.

Would happily use A-Frames again.

Longrifle,

I have seen your hunt as filmed by Vaughn Vosloo. You used Swift A Frame for everything?

Good to know that it still expands at that distance on an Eland.

Congratulations on your 470 Hunted in March for elephant with 470. Great experience. Have also hunted buffalo and giraffe with 470. Want to hunt pigs with 470
don

Did you use your Heym on anything smaller than Buffalo with the Hornady DGX bonded factory ammo?

Yes, I used that double on:
Buffalo
Roan
Bush pig
Eland

Everything other than the Buffaloes were one shot kills.

Sometime Buffaloes need convincing.

HH

Don,

What bullet did you use on elephant?

I have successfully used a 500 Nitro Express and a 470 Nitro Express on elephant and Cape Buffalo. It has always been easier to find 470 ammo. My 470 is a LeBeau Courally and is very accurate operating flawlessly.

I used Federal premium Cape Shock solids. Plan on 25 yard or less shot. At one time we were with in 5 yards with a tree separating us. No shot. Thank goodness.

7798d966-2a66-43c8-8c92-c6011a9e224b.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve shot an Elephant 2 Cape Buffalo and a Giraffe with my Merkel in 470, all with Woodliegh bullets

No experience with the .470, but I’m sure it will serve you well.

Now get out and blast a doe with that thing before season ends.

Shot a 42” Cape Buffalo in July with my .470. I used a handload comprising of a .500gr Woodleigh soft point, 92 gr H4350, Federal 215 primer in a Hornady case. It worked a treat.

The rifle came with handloads with Barmes TSX and Banded Solids.

These are good for Cape Buffalo and elephants but the TSX may be too tough for lion or large plains game at 470 velocity.

So experience with good bullets that expand well on large plains game or lion but still penetrate on buffalo would be good to hear.
Wim Degol 500Gr Star Mantel is an excellent bullet for the great cats and large plains game, out of a .470 Nitro Express.

He’s a custom bullet maker based in Belgium.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BladeFangsPaulina

Latest profile posts

African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well