The 460 G & A

But what about the 475 A&M? Quote from Wikipedia .

The .475 A&M Magnum is a rifle cartridge developed in the United States. At the time of its development it was considered the most powerful sporting rifle cartridge ever developed.[1] However, as the .475 A&M Magnum was a wildcat cartridge, the .460 Weatherby Magnum continued to be the most powerful commercial sporting cartridge available.

The cartridge and rifle were designed by the Atkinson & Marquart Rifle Co. of Prescott, Arizona, by necking up the then new .460 Weatherby Magnum to accept a .475 in (12.1 mm) diameter bullet. Fred N. Barnes, the founder of Barnes Bullets for whom the first rifle chambered for this cartridge was made, supplied the bullets. According to anecdotes, Fred Barnes gathered a group of people to demonstrate the rifle. The rifle was fired at the base of a small tree which was uprooted while Fred Barnes who had been shooting from a crouched position on a gravel bed had slid a few feet and ended on his back due to the recoil.[1]

460 Guns & Ammo for the knockout win!!! Brevex magnum Mauser action:)

EJ
460 #2.jpg
460 #3.jpg
460 #4.jpg
460 #5.jpg
460 #6.jpg
460 #7.jpg

Very nice where is the trigger?

Look again you will see it. The contour matches the trigger guard and it shaped for a right handed shooter. A true custom fit for LOP and finger contour.

EJ
Wow, never seen a trigger like that, very nice!!!

The.458 RUM described is essentially the 460 G&A because the RUM case is basically a slightly (very small rim and head dimension increase) modified 404 Jeffery case, as is the 460 G&A.

BTW one of the significant advantages of the 460 G&A is that it fits in standard long action bolt rifle. This is different than the 450 Rigby which requires a true magnum action. Case in point, my 460 G&A was built by Gene Simillion on a Winchester M-70 Classic CRF with a magazine box he built which takes 4 cartridges +1 in the chamber.

In contrast my 450 Rigby Rimless is a rebored Ruger RSM. It’s an excellent DGR with magazine capacity of 3 +1 in the chamber.

Both are excellent choices which easily produce 2400 FPS MV without powder compression, with 500 grain monolithic solids, from a 23” barrel on each rifle. Take your pick because either will do the job IME when elephants are on quota.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Last edited:
I had not considered a .458 RUM. That is prob a lot easier to do and easier to get brass. I still want a 9.3 RUM or a 9.3 Nosler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paisleysantiago

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?