The 22 Hornet: Uses: Your Choices in ammo, on animals, results.

Ridge Runner

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NMLRA, SCI,
Hunted
East Cape, South Africa, Zimbabwe
I am starting this thread for the sole purpose of not hijacking or deterring from others' OP's related conversational posts.

This thread is to help those of us who are planning to take and use the 22 Hornet to gain confidence and what limits on size of African PG this caliber should be used to hunt.

Also to gain ballistic knowledge about this little caliber while in practical use vs theoretical computations.

Ballistic and practical information on using .224 bullets designated for 22 Hornet vs .224 bullets designated for .223/5.56 caliber.

I am starting this thread for the sole purpose of not hijacking or deterring from others' OP's related conversational posts.

This thread is to help those of us who are planning to take and use the 22 Hornet to gain confidence and what limits on size of African PG this caliber should be used to hunt.

Also to gain ballistic knowledge about this little caliber while in practical use vs theoretical computations.

Ballistic and practical information on using .224 bullets designated for 22 Hornet vs .224 bullets designated for .223/5.56 caliber.
Just to confuse you even more, have you seen the 22 K Hornet? :LOL:
Very interesting concept.

My cz527 in 22H is a complete tack driver with some speer varmints and some H110

Last edited:
I've used a hornet for a couple decades across several states. Currently use 45 grain barnes. Just a fun effective gun when used with careful shot placement.

My son years ago used his ruger 22 hornet to take a puku and kafue lechwe...both one shot kills...First time I had anything to do with this calibre...just thought would be nice upgrade from his ruger 10/22lr...was very impressed with it...used Remington ammo as found a couple of boxes recently in a trunk....as thought had some, as I got a zasatava m95 mini mauser action in 22 hornet just recently as one came in in a shipment to the gun shop I use....not used on anything yet ,but its a great little rifle and has iron sights...problem is only ammo in the shop is hornady 35grn varmint stuff....but have the Remington put aside for when I get around to using it on something....way finns puku and lechwe went down I was impressed...

I’ve put literally thousands of rounds through my No 1 in .22 hornet on prairie dogs. It is extremely fun doping the wind with the little gun. Mine won’t shoot 45 gr bullets. It loves 50 grain TNT’s driven by 4198. However, these are varmint only bullets as they give immediate membership to the ‘red mist society’. (If you haven’t googled that you should).

Renner is currently working his magic on my hornet.

My cz527 in 22H is a complete tack driver with some speer varmints and some H110.
May I ask:

What powder grain weight of H110?
What are your ballistics: velocity, KE,?

I'm still testing loads using: H110, and IMR4227.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EmilSherwo

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg