The 2025 bowhunting prep begins, shooting bushbuck @35 yards, duiker @ 50 yards everyday

Adipose

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
The anticipation, dreaming, planning and practice for the next safari a year away is as much fun as the safari itself. My bow is by the back door, and I try to step out at least once a day and take a few shots to stay in shape. Although most shots in Africa are under 30 yards, we have targets set up in the yard up to 60. As the days are getting shorter, we have small solar lights set up on a couple targets so when we get home from work after dark, we can still take a few shots. the deck is covered, so even on bad weather days, we get to take a few shots. Cant forget thinking about Africa when you see an Nyala or a Sable looking back at you every morning while having a cup of coffee. Anyone else already preparing for a 2025 bowhunting safari?
IMG_9800.jpg
IMG_9794.jpg
IMG_9795.jpg
IMG_9796.jpg
IMG_9797.jpg
IMG_9798.jpg
IMG_9799.jpg

Great setup! I need to get a couple 3D targets for my backyard range!

Are you using a relatively light arrow/broadhead combo, something similar to a whitetail deer set up (~450 gr total weight)? Or going with the heavier PG set up of ~600 gr?

Are you using a relatively light arrow/broadhead combo, something similar to a whitetail deer set up (~450 gr total weight)? Or going with the heavier PG set up of ~600 gr?
My set up for this past safari was an Easton FMJ 300 @ 4mm which at my length comes in about 400Gr. I use an Iron Will 125 Wide so the total weight is about 525gr. This was my set up for the plains game which worked fantastic. Total pass thru on most animals up to a Roan. I had a heavier arrow for Cape Buffalo, but I am staying with the same set up for everything else. That is also what I use for Bear and whitetails.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TallGrassWary

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!
We 'll visit Livingstone / Vic Falls for 3 days and 2 nights. Back to Mapcha by car, back to WDH with Airlink (grab my rifles and belongings) and the same day back to Frankfurt.
What do you mind from your own experience ? and your wife .? Did she appreciate ?
We already hunted Namibia in 2022, May for PG near Outjo for 8 days. Great country.
Thank you for your advises.
Philippe
Hello Cecil
I am Philippe from Center of France. I plan to hunt Zambezi with Zana Botes in 2026, Oct after a couple of days for PG in Namibia in his lodge. I will be with my wife. She is not really a huntress and we promised to go visit Vic Falls. I imagine to go to Caprivi by car , hunt there 7 days (for buff) and go by car to Vic falls (PH will bring back my rifle) . sorry I am required to write 2 messages
buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg