Taxidermy woes

One problem with boiling skulls is that even if done properly they can break apart, it is just something that can happen.

One other thing is that boiling is just a term that is used, you should never boil a skull but let it simmer below a boil. A boil will possibly cause more damage to the skull due to the boiling effect. A simmer will just let it sit there as it cooks the meat off.

If you are doing it yourself at home and you have understanding neighbors it is best to just let the skull sit in water for a few weeks. The meat and everything else will come off of the skull and the results will be the same as boiling but the smell is something else as the meat rots off. Also to get the best results or whitest bone you need to degrease it. Some use Dawn dish washing soap and others will place the skull into a bucket filled with acetone to get all the grease out. The yellowing of a skull is just natural if you don't get all the oils out of it and happens over time.
 
I had a water buck over boiled by Capricorn Taxidermy, all other skulls were done well. There were three water buck and only one was damaged so I believe that it's a quality control issue. Have also been told that delays can be expected if the dip and pack isn't done in the same province as the animal was taken in as there is extra delays in permits.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,319
Messages
1,572,866
Members
169,631
Latest member
ONJKassie
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top