Taxidermy Question

I’ve had all my taxidermy work done in US so far. I do have all flat rugs tanned in Africa though because it’s cheaper and quality is same and doesn’t add any significant time over the dip and pack. I think the taxidermy quality is generally significantly better in the US and also the taxidermist I choose actually does my work vs Africa where the taxidermist primarily supervises the staff. However, in future if I only have one or two smaller animals I might decide to have done in Africa because the wait times for tannery and taxidermist in US is getting too long. Any large mounts or particularly special mounts I’ll continue having done here.

Something else that wasn’t discussed here is how many animals you get mounted. I know If I had all my animals done in Africa I’d have a lot more on the wall. By the time they make it to US, I’ve usually had time to think and go for more skulls over shoulder mounts. I wasted some money on dip and pack for shoulder cape but it’s still a lot less than a shoulder mount I didn’t really need.

If you choose to have your trophies done in Africa, you (probably) will not see them until you open the crate after paying for them, shipping them, and clearing customs. There is No recourse if something is not right, just off a little or damaged. Your choice, you might save a few bucks. I have done them both ways. Local here in the states for me from now on.

I came home and did some digging on what I’ve paid for taxidermy.
Compared 2014 safari with what would have to pay in 2024. Buffalo, sable, nyala, bushbuck, warthog and a reproduction elephant tusk. 2014 cost $6365 same animals in 2024 would be $6960. This doesn’t include pedestals for buff, nyala/ bushbuck double pedestal or a pedestal for the sable. Done in Michigan

2021 safari . Roan, springbok, bushbuck, gemsbok and blesbok wall pedestals and a full body klipspringer. Mounted in RSA at an in house taxidermist. $3880 and the quality is above average. Same animals mounted in Michigan would’ve been $7490.

Shipping in 2022 for the latest shipment was around $3000. So I saved the difference plus whatever it would have cost to have the dip&pack shipped to Atlanta and then to a stateside taxidermist and then to my home in Alabama. Plus the extra time to be mounted in the states.
I could break down a 2018 safari as well. But I’ll leave that for another day. Tired of typing.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EstebanQua

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa