Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, Canada, Africa
Has anybody used AHG Shipping? If so what was your experience?
Maybe I am out of line with my expectations.
I had skull mounts done of Warthog, Impala and Wildebeest. The Zebra was done as a map of Africa with a neck mount.
My experience has been less than good.
Poor communication.
Date for crating delayed time and time again.
Said would send pictures but has not.
At one point I was told the trophies where done and then they said no not done waiting on the Zebra.

My buddies who ordered shoulder mount for everything had their trophies crated and then nothing, No communication from AHG Shipping.

Is this typical of African Taxidermy companies?

It sounds like you are mixing together two different things- Taxidermy And Shipping. Although a few places will deal with both, they are usually mutually exclusive. The customer is always free to shop for a different shipper.

Based on what you have relayed, it sounds like you are having mainly a taxidermy issue. And to answer your question, unfortunately, no it's not uncommon to have all the issues you described with SA (and others) taxidermy shops. Was the shop "recommended" by your outfitter?

Thanks for the reply. The AHG company is a shipping / brokerage company. I am now guessing Richard L, the owner, has the relationship with the Taxidermy company. Update my buddies who have the shoulder mounts where informed yesterday that their mounts are now in Atlanta. AHG skipped the step of informing them they where inbound. So we will see how good a job they did in a few days when the trophies are released.

Your buddies can get out their wallets if their stuff is sitting in airport storage!

I used AHG shipping but my crate was caught up in the Covid shutdown. They held my crate in a climate controlled facility and sent me pictures when I raised concerns about the delay, that being said I paid for shipping in early February 2020 and the shutdown didn’t happen until March. It then cost me an extra couple of thousand dollars to have my crate shipped in 2021 and cover the huge increases in shipping cost, they never explained the delay. At the time they were not associated with any taxidermist at the time but I believe they are now. I’m not sure if I will use them again next year or not, going to think long and hard about that one.
Their communication was in the middle of the road as compared with the other 2 companies I’ve used in my 3 shipments of trophies from 4 safaris.

The BS now gets deeper.
I received the pictures of the mounts. The Zebra they mounted for me is not the Zebra I shot!
I gave reached out to the involved parties and we shall see what the out come is.
I am guessing they will be unable to make this right.
There will be finger pointing and blaming it on anybody and everybody else.
In which case they owe me a refund for the trophy fee.
My Zebra
IMG_1324.png

The imposter.
IMG-20240628-WA0001.jpeg

Definitely not the same zebra. Did you check that your animals were properly tagged in camp? Or it could be as simple as they took a picture of the wrong mount. Whatever the outcome is there will be a lot of finger pointing from the outfitter to the transport company that picked up the skins to the tannery and taxidermist.
Hate it for you , this kind of crap is what give’s African taxidermist a bad reputation, but I’ve seen the same thing from American taxidermists as well.

Yep, not same animal. Can tell by the eye markings. Hope it's a case of wrong photo and your animal shows up. It's tough, but try to be calm until you uncrate. Hope it gets corrected.

What taxidermist shop did the work? I went back and looked at your original post and saw that the zebra was the reason for the delay and now a picture of a different zebra. Starting to raise the BS meter on the taxidermist side. Maybe your hide was damaged during the tanning process or something. They should be upfront with you and make it as right as possible.
It is definitely a plus you have a close up photo of the zebras head stripe patterns. I always take close ups of any skin or horn irregularities on my animals in case something like this happens.
Good luck

That sucks… and one of the real concerns about having taxidermy done overseas….. there is just not much recourse once the mounts are received in the US.
If a US taxidermist is used at least it increases our chances to have it made right or possibly stop the process before spending a bunch of money on mounting and shipping….

The problem that you would have with a US taxidermist is that you would still be out the dip n pack and shipping.

You quite likely wouldn't see the err until after it was mounted.

The problem that you would have with a US taxidermist is that you would still be out the dip n pack and shipping.

You quite likely wouldn't see the err until after it was mounted.
I had a steenbok hide fall to pieces during the tanning process and my RSA taxidermist told me up front and offered a euro mount for free or he could get my outfitter to get another skin and do my full body mount at the cost of a shoulder mount. I took the latter, if something goes wrong with a skin in the States it would be hard to replace, but a zebra skin is unique to the animal so not sure how I would handle a different animals skin.

The taxidermy company was TTS.
I am on the road traveling to a shoot right now. TTS is either Total Trophy or or Total Taxidermy Solutions.
Yes I did check that the skins and skulls were tagged correctly.

The initial response I received was that they would check with the outfitter and the taxidermy company on Monday. So it begins.

I have a party of 10 people, myself included, going back next year, 7 hunters 3 observers.
The outcome of this debacle will affect where we stay arriving in country and leaving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suminasharma

Latest profile posts

Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.
Saddlemaker wrote on Drexel64742's profile.
Hi Drexel, Would like to purchase your brass , Would a business check be fine?
overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!
wolfhunter wrote on Mark haynes's profile.
I hunted with you a couple years back speedy goat with Don Lynch call me