TANZANIA: Splitting a Full Bag In Tanzania

Scott, it appears you can find deadly trouble anywhere. Mambas, Poachers, Hmmm. At least these guys were not shooting at you.
Haha yes! Boomslang in Mozambique, near drowning crossing a river, charged by a gut shot 367” bull elk, CAR attack, etc… I will be counting on you to be the Publicist for my book!

Good looking elephant.

What a great safari. Congratulations!

As for the next five days, to make a long story just a bit shorter, neither Jim nor I shot another buffalo. I got on a big mid 40s dagga boy that was traveling with two others but didn’t get a shot. We got on them twice before they ran but the big bull was covered up both times by the others. We kept tracking them, hoping for a third opportunity, but it started raining like a cow pissing on a rock and the tracks were obliterated. We then radioed for the Cruiser and drove around the area in the rain but never saw them again. I did turn down several 37”-40” bulls but I’ve got bulls like that and was looking for something well into the 40s.

Jim shot another baboon to add to his skull collection. We never did see a bigger elephant than the one he shot but the last hunter of the year that flew in when we left shot an 80 pounder.

My final thoughts about the area is that it’s a fantastic area for four of the Big Five, especially leopards and elephants. We saw three leopards just driving around. The big leopard that hit the bait close to camp did come back later. I could have shot it the last week of the safari for $30k. Mike took three elephant bulls in 2022 over 100 pounds, although one was a a single tusker. This year, I think he took four over 80 pounds. As for buffalo, one hunter this year took a 45” and a 48”. The Russian before us took a 42”. As for lion, I didn’t mention it in my report but we did see two other lion sightings - one of a pride and another was a lioness with two cubs. We had another nice male we kept hearing but never saw him - only tracks. Mike is usually 100% on the two lions on quota each year. A lot of well-known hunters have hunted Maswa North - Shockey, etc… Next year, a Sultan from a Middle Eastern country is hunting in October.

If I had a more flexible schedule, I would go in October but there’s probably not a bad time to hunt, except December - too wet!

I want to thank my hunting partner, Jim. Without him splitting the cost of this hunt with me, I couldn’t have done it. I also want to thank Wendy for putting up with my hunting addiction. Thank you to Mike Fell. Mike is always in a good mood and fun to hunt with and talk to. I look forward to seeing him at SCI. Mike and Talal might be getting another Maswa area in the next couple years and that would be exciting.

Thanks to all of you for your kind comments and support. I love reading your reports as well.

Now, on to a rhino hunt to complete my Big 5!

Fantastic safari and a great story. Thank you for sharing it with us!

I just reread your entire report start to finish. A great hunt and a great report. You’ve done some really impressive hunts the last several years. I think that lion though is your top trophy.
Thanks! Means a lot coming from an experienced hunter like yourself. I enjoy doing the research to find great areas.

Wow, what can I say... just read through from the beginning. This is not only an adventure to be proud of, but one with such great results. From Buffalo to a huge leopard, a top impala, a massive lion and a great bull elephant, with many other species mixed in, only one word comes to mind: "Waidmannsheil"!

Well done to all involved, thanks a lot for sharing your story and I'm looking forward to hearing about your next trip (though to top this one, that will be a challenge).

Congrats Again Scott. I was actually thinking to myself that you should write a book, or two. Your guiding exploits alone would make for a good read

What a way to finish a great safari with such a wonderful elephant. Certainly gives some of us something to aspire to when it comes to hunting Africa. Appreciate you sharing your adventure with all of us.

Congrats on the elephant!!

Just getting caught up as I've been running a few deer hunters. You are living like a KING for sure !! Congrats

Scott I concur with the others that you should write a book. Congrats to Jim on the nice elephant. thank you for taking the time to write your excellent report and taking us all along for the ride on your adventure.

WOW, what an amazing safari. You two hunted some fantastic animals, and the unforgettable experience you both had is priceless. Thank you for taking us along. BTW, if you do write a book, I'd be the first one in line to buy it, oh and of course you need to sign it. (y):ROFLMAO:

Fantastic report! Congratulations on your successes!!

Thanks for letting us being part of your excellent adventure.
It was a good read and I'm glad I got to do it in one go and not day to day.

This was a great adventure for sure. Some wonderful trophies. Lots of top quality animals. Its good to have a friend to share adventures with. Well done.
Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KateHallig

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.