AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
Lifetime NRA member, Lifetime SCI Member
I have ALWAYS wanted a double and today I found one. It’s a Heym 88b made in 2014, 99% condition.

The 450/400 is not the ballistic equivalent of a 404 Jeffery as it maxes around 2150-2200 FPS.

What’s everyone’s opinion on the caliber?

According to Taylor the 3-inch and 3¼-inch .450/400 NE were adequate for all African game in almost all conditions when used by an experienced hunter.

400gr bullet at 2150fps sounds quite reasonable. I also like the look of Heym 88b, to my eye it’s one of the nicest looking doubles. I actually much prefer it to 89b, but looks are just that.

What’s ammo/components availability like for it?

Dies and components are readily available.

It is in the Ruger No.1. You can get 2400 with the 400grain bullets.

The .450/400 NE seems to be the consensus caliber for doubles that I have seen it be recommended over and over by many hunters and pros alike. Big enough caliber for any DG and small enough for lower recoil than most.

The .450/400 NE seems to be the consensus caliber for doubles that I have seen it be recommended over and over by many hunters and pros alike. Big enough caliber for any DG and small enough for lower recoil than most.
My only concern was spending that kind of $ to find that it wasn’t enough gun. From what I’ve read in here prior to posting, it seems to be just enough.

Maybe it could be pushed to 2250 according to some members posts.

My only concern was spending that kind of $ to find that it wasn’t enough gun. From what I’ve read in here prior to posting, it seems to be just enough.

Maybe it could be pushed to 2250 according to some members posts.

Don’t forget that it’s a double. It will be regulated for a certain load. You may or may not be able
To deviate from that load and keep acceptable accuracy.

Using factory ballistics a 400 grain bullet at 2,050 fps generates 3,731 ft/lbs of energy.

Next step up in traditional double calibers is .450 NE 3.25 that pushes a 480 grain bullet at 2,150 for 4,925 ft/lbs.

So, it just depends on how much power you want.

Don’t forget that it’s a double. It will be regulated for a certain load. You may or may not be able
To deviate from that load and keep acceptable accuracy.
Very true. How common is it to find a hand load that works as well as the load used to regulate the rifle?

Th
Using factory ballistics a 400 grain bullet at 2,050 fps generates 3,731 ft/lbs of energy.

Next step up in traditional double calibers is .450 NE 3.25 that pushes a 480 grain bullet at 2,150 for 4,925 ft/lbs.

So, it just depends on how much power you want.
The energy of the 450/400 is quite a bit lower than the 404/416 Rigby which are both near 5000 ft/lbs. It also operates at much lower pressure than those two cartridges.
I would think that the 450 NE would be closer in performance.

Very true. How common is it to find a hand load that works as well as the load used to regulate the rifle?

Red Leg and Cal Pappas should weigh in on that. Way outside my expertise.

I should preface my statement by saying I am not a DR expert.

I have both 450/400 NE 3” and 450 NE 3 1/4”. They both make statements when I shoot these DRs but I don’t notice any significant recoil differences. I know the terminal ballistics are different between the two but I am sure they both can be lethal as long as I do my part.

So if the Heym 88B in 450/400 fits you well and you like it then you should get it unless your main quarry is an elephant.

Regards,

Last edited:
My PH in Limpopo, SA carried a 450/400 double when we were hunting buffalo. I was thinking about a 470 NE when I was talking to Chris Sells at Heym during the DSC show a couple of years ago and he recommended the 450/400 as a more manageable alternative. I already have a 375 H&H double, and if I get another one it will very likely be the 450/400.

I should preface my statement by saying I am not a DR expert.

I have both 450/400 NE 3” and 450 NE 3 1/4”. They both make statements when I shoot these DRs but I don’t notice any significant recoil differences. I know the terminal ballistics are different between the two but I am sure they both can be lethal as long as I do my part.

So if the Heym 88B in 450/400 fits you well and you like it then you should get it unless your main quarry is an elephant.

Regards,
I’ll be hunting plains game only next year but for 2023/24 a buff and tuskless hunt is on the table. I cant say for sure I’ll hunt elephant but I also can’t say I wont! Sure sounds exciting!

The 450/400 is a very well balanced load that will take anything that walks. It has the same ballistics as the original 404 Jeffery loads (IE the one all the game departments used for animal control) The muzzle velocity was bumped up to the 2300fps we see today long after the 404 made a name for its self)

Double are regulate for a specific load and trying to hod rod to higher muzzle velocity will make you a unhappy camper. With some work and time at the range I have been able to get most every premium hunting bullet (swift, northfork, CEB) to shoot as well as the rounds the rifle was regulated with.

You would be hard pressed to find a better client DG gun. I used my 450/400 on my roan and hippo on the last safari.

The 450/400 is a very well balanced load that will take anything that walks. It has the same ballistics as the original 404 Jeffery loads (IE the one all the game departments used for animal control) The muzzle velocity was bumped up to the 2300fps we see today long after the 404 made a name for its self)

Double are regulate for a specific load and trying to hod rod to higher muzzle velocity will make you a unhappy camper. With some work and time at the range I have been able to get most every premium hunting bullet (swift, northfork, CEB) to shoot as well as the rounds the rifle was regulated with.

You would be hard pressed to find a better client DG gun. I used my 450/400 on my roan and hippo on the last safari.
Good points.

One could stretch the 404 @2300 to 200 yards if need be. To what range is the 450/400 good for? “I’ve read 100 yards and in”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sara29R474

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]