Takeri Pics

Poaching is a huge threat to the survival of wildlife worldwide. It hurts my heart to see animals suffer from wire snares, poisoning and other indiscriminate methods. Poaching, however, is a symptom, not a root cause. If we don’t address the real cause, I believe we’re chasing our tails. Poverty is the root cause.

@spike.t your valuable and beautiful Sable aren’t being snared because the Chinese are using their horns as an aphrodisiac. Poaching is on the increase because people are starving due to the drought and are desperate for protein. The government isn’t helping them because it lacks the resources to do so.

Why? Like most post-colonial African countries, it’s still enthralled with Marxist philosophy and collectivism, but that’s not all of it. They’ve combined economic models with the three-part scourge of tribalism, nepotism and corruption. This situation means the rural people live on the edge in the best of times. A total crop failure and a society with no ability to help means people starve.

I’m not smart enough to know how to fix this. Certainly the safari industry has helped immensely to elevate rural people from the depths of poverty. Ours is a superior model that incentivizes conservation when times are relatively good. It’s not enough when times are bad. If African nations fail to create economies that provide their people with basic food security, I’m afraid for people, wildlife and wild places.

Dam Sept 2021....

IMG-20240917-WA0008.jpg

Dam Sept 2024

IMG-20240917-WA0000.jpg

I’m really hoping the weather guessers are right this time! They’re predicting higher than average rainfall in Southern Africa this coming wet season thanks to La Niña. The whole region is obviously in deep drought. @spike.t I hope you post a picture of the dam in March with a full lake behind it!

We hated to see this Mike! You have such beautiful sables and it is terrible seeing young ones suffer from the snares. Hope your scouts can get some good wins in recovering snares and patrolling the next few months.

We hated to see this Mike! You have such beautiful sables and it is terrible seeing young ones suffer from the snares. Hope your scouts can get some good wins in recovering snares and patrolling the next few months.

Yeah they been finding odd snare in same area they keep sweeping also at far end....told them to go sit at night and wait.

That’s awful. There’s not many things as demoralizing than a bad drought. Even more so with the poaching of your top trophy animals.

OK so Ronald our cook decided to try his hand at making pizza on this hunt....it was bloody good....and I doubt anyone else has had sable meat pizza ... :A Thumbs Up:

Full serving plate..

Screenshot_20241005-210108_Gallery.jpg

2 pieces left....

Screenshot_20241005-210145_Gallery.jpg

Finished ...and bloody good

Screenshot_20241005-210216_Gallery.jpg

Anything Ronald makes is delicious! The pizza looks great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miisoo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]