Take Down Rifles?

lockingblock

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
It seems that there are a variety of opinions regarding the best way to build a take down Mauser.

From interrupted threads all the way to the Reimar Johannsen system, one must be better than the others.

Is one truly superior?

Not an expert on this subject at all sir. My question is why do you want a take down rifle? Not sure I understand the purpose except to conserve space.

Mainly travel. I've carried enough long gun cases to see the disadvantages a it would be nice to go smaller plus have caliber change options.

Blaser, Sauer, Mauser, Dakota and several others already make a good take down bolt action rifle. I doubt that having a custom one built would be worthwhile or better than what's already available, unless you really want an interesting project, in which case, I understand.

or go cheap, butt ugly but accurate and reliable. Thompson Dimension

I really, really need to do a couple of detailed reviews of my take-downs. :) The Merkel Helix seems to be getting a lot of play here. I'll take a few pix of mine this weekend.

Just remember guys, when it comes to take downs each segment that removes is a potential point of impact change. Some systems are better than others...IMO, the biggest single gap is the removal of the scope.

Thanks for the input. It will be a Mauser, of some variety...I know the Blasers are great, I just prefer traditional rifles.

On that front it seems that there are two basic schools of thought - barrels that screw in normally vs barrels with an extension that the locking lugs would lock into.

I wonder if one is superior.

You should take a look at HMS Strasser guns! From .22-250 up to .375 Ruger (458 Win. in near future).

I am anxious to see Sako's new takedown rifle!

Attachments

• Screenshot (278).png
    Screenshot (278).png
    597.9 KB · Views: 177
  • Screenshot (279).png
    Screenshot (279).png
    84.4 KB · Views: 109
  • Screenshot (280).png
    Screenshot (280).png
    57.9 KB · Views: 136
  • Screenshot (281).png
    Screenshot (281).png
    35 KB · Views: 105
  • Screenshot (282).png
    Screenshot (282).png
    36.7 KB · Views: 111
  • Screenshot (283).png
    Screenshot (283).png
    134.2 KB · Views: 137
Last edited by a moderator:
It seems that there are a variety of opinions regarding the best way to build a take down Mauser.

From interrupted threads all the way to the Reimar Johannsen system, one must be better than the others.

Is one truly superior?
Did you ever pursue this project?

I really, really need to do a couple of detailed reviews of my take-downs. :) The Merkel Helix seems to be getting a lot of play here. I'll take a few pix of mine this weekend.

Just remember guys, when it comes to take downs each segment that removes is a potential point of impact change. Some systems are better than others...IMO, the biggest single gap is the removal of the scope.
That is certainly true with my Westley Richards .318 which is an interrupted thread mauser design. My Blaser R8's have no issues of any sort with respect to takedown and accuracy. Scope removal reattachment has been equally problem free. I should note that I have been using R8's and a S2 pretty extensively for a decade now.

I have Westley Richards 425 and 318 takedown rifles . Both over 100 years old . I take them apart for cleaning otherwise they remain in one piece . Both are interrupted thread systems . I have never noticed any change in accuracy over my years of ownership but due to iron sites and my hunting ethos I do not attempt shots in excess of 100-120 yards with either when hunting . I am sure the screw in barrel systems would work perfectly . Below are some pics of the 318 the 425 and modern WR 425 non takedown model . Great great rifles.

IMG_2414.jpeg
IMG_2415.jpeg
IMG_2417.jpeg
IMG_2416.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
On that front it seems that there are two basic schools of thought - barrels that screw in normally vs barrels with an extension that the locking lugs would lock into.

I wonder if one is superior.
I do not pretend to know what is "superior" but here is a three-shot group from a Dakota 76 Take-down rifle chambered in .300 H&H Magnum equipped with Talley quick-detachable rings. The Dakotas used a barrel extension into the rifle's receiver.

180gr Nosler Accubond factory ammo, 100 yds., from sticks. I find the group to be quite acceptable for my purposes.

300 H&H.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SusannaLki

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]