Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI Life Member, DSC, NRA Life Member
Hunted
Canada, RSA, USA, Zimbabwe
With Cabela's safari clothes discontinued, and my sets starting to get a little threadbare, I'm looking at new clothing for next season. I was able to order a few sets of Tag shorts and shirts on Amazon, but their website is showing most of their clothes as out of stock. Any word on this business or reviews of their clothes?

The TAG warehouse burnt last summer. They may not have recovered. It would be best to Google TAG and contact them directly via phone or email.

If all else fails, try eBay.

They had a fire last year....so lost a lot...they are originally from Zimbabwe and their clothes are made there...I have used their shirts for years...couldn't tell you exact one without going on their site...but has zip front pockets....obviously they get a hammering here as washing is done in a plastic horse type trough, and iron is filled with hot coals for heat...so think can speak from bit more experience with them than others on here ,who probably only use for their hunt...but great shirts and have lasted me long time...they do our logo on them for me... :D Beers:

Geez, the Tag factory burnt down last summer. The Woodleigh factory burnt down too. I'm normally not a conspiracy theorist but.........................

As an alternative to Tag, @Brandon.Gleason you might look at 5.11 clothing. The 100% cotton stuff is great, very durable and well made.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 10.12.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 10.12.14 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 99
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 10.12.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 10.12.18 AM.png
    432.2 KB · Views: 120
I use TAG shirts extensively, not just on Safari, but also working on the farm. I just can’t seem to wear them out.

I don’t care for their shorts. I use Kuhl shorts.

At really a TAG fan, their shirts run too small for the size. Another problem, on long sleeve shirt the button placket is way too short. Extremely difficult the roll the sleeves up. Their pants the back pockets are too small to hold my wallet.

“Their pants pockets are too small to hold my wallet”. Love that. I know what ya meant, but it hit my funny bone

Believe it or not, these inexpensive Wrangler shirts from WalMart are the best African hunting shirts I've found from anywhere:

The Green color is close to perfect. They're made in Kenya of all places.

I still like the now 8 pocket (formerly 7 pocket) Hiker Shorts from Cabelas/Bass Pro. I buy the light khakis ones and dye them brown.

Boyt Canvas Safari Gators and Courteney Boots and you're ready to roll!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 10.13.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 10.13.11 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 113
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 10.13.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 10.13.26 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 134
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 10.13.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 10.13.29 AM.png
    686.4 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
I love my TAG safari shirts. No idea on the shorts. Sad to hear the factory burned down.

I use TAG shirts extensively, not just on Safari, but also working on the farm. I just can’t seem to wear them out.

I don’t care for their shorts. I use Kuhl shorts.
X 1 w/ @WAB … I use their Shooter Shirts, well made in a classic look, nice cotton weight for warmer days + stylish around the Lodge or touring.

The shorts for me are weird - thinner material, no elastic in the waist for comfort when climbing, belt loops small, & don’t hold shape end of day.

Shorts: I use simple $20 Bass Pro Beachcomber Shorts, mid-weight, durable, nice pockets & proper width belt loops.

Thanks. That brings up the next question. Is it possible to order direct from the Zimbabwe manufacturer?
Note: I commend Tag Safari for marketing hunting clothes, especially those designed principally with Africa in mind. I'd definately buy from them if I were in the US. However for those of us not in the US, it doesn't make sense to have to pay to ship from Africa to the US and then from the US to our countries ie two lots of international transport costs which can double if not triple the cost.

I’d just get ahold of them and ask. Houston and Bulawayo are the same outfit. It may seem odd, but it might actually be cheaper shipped out of Houston.

I’ve used clothing on my Africa trips from Cabela’s, Filson, Orvis, TAG and probably others I’m forgetting. They all served me well. None of them outperformed the cheap stuff off the table at Costco or Sam’s club! An example, Orvis has a pair of 14 pocket cargo shorts for $109. Let that sink in. I bought a pair of cotton cargo shorts at Sam‘s for $7.99 and took the to Zimbabwe. The covered my butt. Plenty of pockets for stuff. What the heck else do you expect from a pair of cotton shorts? I feel the same about pants, shirts and hats. There’s just not much difference in value for the money spent.

I‘m perfectly willing to spend more money for better footwear. Boots and socks are something I’ll pay lots for if they meet my needs and are comfortable. There’s a huge difference in the quality and performance of good boots vs cheap ones.

Also, I’ve found Cabela’s safari shirts on eBay for cheap and they’ve always been like new. Sometimes new with tags.

Just throwing out there. Might look on Ebay for "Banana Republic Safari". This is pretty much the only thing I were oversees hunting in warm/cool weather. As I got older I wore my dad's hand me downs. I still a trunk full. So needless to say, they weere not made on the cheap, held up and a lot was British surplus.

With Cabela's safari clothes discontinued, and my sets starting to get a little threadbare, I'm looking at new clothing for next season. I was able to order a few sets of Tag shorts and shirts on Amazon, but their website is showing most of their clothes as out of stock. Any word on this business or reviews of their clothes?
Come to think of it I didn’t see them at the shows. I was busy and didn’t think anything of it. They have good styles but not great fit and finish.
I hope for the best for them?
Philip

I have been using the Tag lefty padded long sleeve shirt for all my hunting since 2014, I think. I have 6 sets and I take 3 to Africa and rotate. They are in stock for right handers.

For slacks I go the 5.11 canvas route. Inexpensive, lasts multiple washings, durable and comfortable.

And for shorts the same thing, though 5.11 is out of stock on the canvas shorts at the moment.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 10.14.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 10.14.48 AM.png
    984.2 KB · Views: 92
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 10.14.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 10.14.50 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 92
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 10.15.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 10.15.06 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 134
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 10.15.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 10.15.08 AM.png
    526 KB · Views: 121
I love my TAG shirts, but as noted above the left hand long sleeve shirts are no longer available. I recently ordered some shirts for Kevins Fine outdoor gear and apparel for my adult kids. They seem to be of similar style and quality until the TAG shirts become available again, and they have both left and right hand shirts with the shooting pads sewn in

Cabalas has gone down hill so much!

Orvis makes good shorts, Courtney shirts are legit and I have a few feather weight cotton safari shirts from Filson. Boots from Russell Moccasin, Trader Keith for leather stuff. Tilley hats, pants from Carheartt it’s not a clothing intensive activity like mountaineering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Faye228194

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia