Tactical scopes for Dangerous Game and "boomers"

I see my question has touched off quite a response. :)

That said, I honestly was wondering whether the dot and donut type sights made target acquisition quicker.
If you have time to set up a shot, all of the the stuff in that scope *can be* helpful. But that's an AR15 scope, and I don't see any utility in that scope for even that platform - if you're really lucky, you can successfully shoot beyond 300 yards, but a 5mph cross wind is ~6" of wind drift, even at only 300 yards.

If you have to pull the trigger in a hurry, all of the extra stuff in that scope will be a distraction.

Reticle is no good to start wirh.....I would not investigate it further.....

I have been wondering about the utility of these 1x6x24 or 1x8x24 type "tactical" scopes for use on dangerous games rifles. Virtually all are illuminated and they are all meant for quick target acquisition.

An example would be this Lucid Optics L7 1x6x24. One distinctive thing about this sight is that the illumination is blue and not red or green.

My primary fear is that these types scopes may not be designed to stand up to the recoil of anything above .308.

https://www.lucidoptics.com/rifle-scope/#L7

View attachment 442267
best scope on earth bar none NIGHTFORCE ,,,,,,,, beats all the high end names and wont break EVER

Recommend putting that scope in a set of quality QD rings so you can switch to iron sights (assuming you have them). Talley, Warne and Alaska Arms are good brands to start with.

Like to see a picture of your rifle. Not a lot of 375RUM's out there.
Here ya go. It was a 300 Ultra Mag. Had it rebarreled to 375 Ultra Mag. NECG sights and will be using Talley rings. CCR Cummings Custom Refinishing did the coating on the metal work. McMillan Stock.

FF09A028-821C-4806-B5AA-CD6784C57450.jpeg
9442F507-3AC6-4835-9F1E-73FB2E7090F7.jpeg
BDC45447-DC69-4E5F-A020-338ECB9E5A0D.jpeg
C0EF998A-6FDE-4703-A7B9-DEBF7C334A0F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have time to set up a shot, all of the the stuff in that scope *can be* helpful. But that's an AR15 scope, and I don't see any utility in that scope for even that platform - if you're really lucky, you can successfully shoot beyond 300 yards, but a 5mph cross wind is ~6" of wind drift, even at only 300 yards.

If you have to pull the trigger in a hurry, all of the extra stuff in that scope will be a distraction.
Set the scope to 2-3 power and it’s no different than any other scope. Put the area where the 2 lines cross on what you want to shoot, no different than any other scope. Elk, Moose, plains game 6-700 yards is a chip shot. Measure wind if needed, range it, dial it, send it, lots of difference from the other scopes. We shoot steel out to 1100 yards and deer 8-900 yards routinely. I wouldn’t shoot any dangerous game at those ranges. Different techniques for different people. Doesn’t make them wrong, just different.

Good job 450 Dakota. Very nice rifle and a good explanation of how these scopes can add to your capabilities.

Set the scope to 2-3 power and it’s no different than any other scope. Put the area where the 2 lines cross on what you want to shoot, no different than any other scope. Elk, Moose, plains game 6-700 yards is a chip shot. Measure wind if needed, range it, dial it, send it, lots of difference from the other scopes. We shoot steel out to 1100 yards and deer 8-900 yards routinely. I wouldn’t shoot any dangerous game at those ranges. Different techniques for different people. Doesn’t make them wrong, just different.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I will never have a scope on a hunting rifle that is "busy."

We have a monthly shoot in Columbus, Texas, where I shoot at 1000 yds with my 308. It has a "busy" scope, but I have all day to set up my shots. There is nothing running at me which has platter-sized hooves that can grind me into a grease spot, nor teeth and claws with which to disembowel me and eat me. For that kind of hunting, KISS is the principle.

A heavier-recoiling .416+/- a .223 toy is not! Get the 30mm Trijicon 1-6x w/ an always-lit reticle of your preferred color/style. All shots touching with a heavy-recoiling, lightish .416. $1K or 1.5-3x less than the next "best" glass.

Last edited:
We'll have to agree to disagree. I will never have a scope on a hunting rifle that is "busy."

We have a monthly shoot in Columbus, Texas, where I shoot at 1000 yds with my 308. It has a "busy" scope, but I have all day to set up my shots. There is nothing running at me which has platter-sized hooves that can grind me into a grease spot, nor teeth and claws with which to disembowel me and eat me. For that kind of hunting, KISS is the principle.
If I was hunting that I would use my 458 Lott 1.5-5 Leupold, 416 REM 1.175-6 Leupold or 416 Rigby 2.5-8 Leupold. you Can have more than 1 tool in the toolbox.

I shoot 1000s of rounds a year out of rifles with a LPVOs on them, mostly Mark 6s and Nightforce NX8s, they have the TMAR and MOAR reticles in them. There is on reason that reticle wouldn't work for a DG rifle, but there is also reason why it would needed for one either. When set one 1x, you have a red dot. You aren't take it off 1x anyway, so what it looks like at 6x doesn't matter.

Having said that, I would not under any circumstances use that particular scope, it has nothing to do with the reticle, it has to do in my lack of confidence in the brand.

Ok, got it. Thank you. I agree with you, Lucid is not a brand I would trust.

I’m with the 30+ others that a scope reticle should be really simple. Any hunting scope where game is engaged at normal ranges should be simple. It is more fun to get really close.

For the total cost of a DG hunt, a good scope is a small part of that. I’d suggest most of us should have a few hundred rounds of DG ammo shot before hunt, that alone will be over $1000.

While a person can have minimal practice and suspect equipment and go hunt DG, that is putting a lot of faith in the PH (and more like a Hail Mary pass from a grade school kid). You don’t realize how much you don’t want to mess up… until you are there and realize how much you don’t want to mess up. We should treat DG hunting how rock climbers evaluate their climb and equipment.

I’m with the 30+ others that a scope reticle should be really simple. Any hunting scope where game is engaged at normal ranges should be simple. It is more fun to get really close.

For the total cost of a DG hunt, a good scope is a small part of that. I’d suggest most of us should have a few hundred rounds of DG ammo shot before hunt, that alone will be over $1000.

While a person can have minimal practice and suspect equipment and go hunt DG, that is putting a lot of faith in the PH (and more like a Hail Mary pass from a grade school kid). You don’t realize how much you don’t want to mess up… until you are there and realize how much you don’t want to mess up. We should treat DG hunting how rock climbers evaluate their climb and equipment.

Part of the reason tactical scopes are favored by some of us is the robustness for DG calibers. Also, for the record, the cost of a NightForce is about the same as a Swarovski, Kahle etc., so it is not the cost.

As mentioned above, at 1X those scopes are just a red dot reticle. At longer ranges, playing around on non -DG calibers I can use the same scope and it being MRAD instead of MOA is a bonus to boot.

Part of the reason tactical scopes are favored by some of us is the robustness for DG calibers. Also, for the record, the cost of a NightForce is about the same as a Swarovski, Kahle etc., so it is not the cost.

As mentioned above, at 1X those scopes are just a red dot reticle. At longer ranges, playing around on non -DG calibers I can use the same scope and it being MRAD instead of MOA is a bonus to boot.
@Tanks you might be the exception! You practice a lot and have DG experience. What did you use peor to the NF scope? I agree that the 1x view is definitely not too busy. I consider NF scopes to be on the same level as swaro et al.

I’m evaluating what to put on a 9.3x62 barrel and am mostly sold on a swaro z6 or z8 in the low magnification, but I’ll stick with a simple reticle. (I am a fan of ballistic turrets, though)

Edit: what did you use Before the NF scope? (Those Spanish words just sneak in there)

@Tanks you might be the exception! You practice a lot and have DG experience. What did you use peor to the NF scope? I agree that the 1x view is definitely not too busy. I consider NF scopes to be on the same level as swaro et al.

I’m evaluating what to put on a 9.3x62 barrel and am mostly sold on a swaro z6 or z8 in the low magnification, but I’ll stick with a simple reticle. (I am a fan of ballistic turrets, though)
Well, to be honest for DG I have used red dots or iron sights. For my leopard hunt I had the Swarovski Z6i 1.7x10x42 BT scope on my 9.3x74R. Having the ballistic turret was very helpful as I had it sighted at 50 meters for leopard but it took a fraction of a second to get to the right distance (100, 150, 200, 250) with the turret if needed for bait.

I have also used Leica scopes in the past with ballistic markings for holdover. The main gun for the NF will be my .458 though I plan it using on my .223 bolt as well. My guns look ugly with Picatinny rails on them but makes scopes versatile.

I just noticed Toric as a pre-order out for a new LPVO, I have one of their other scopes, it is a fine scope with extremely good glass. They are very well build and on par with anything not made in Europe, and even some that are. But for $1100, you aren't exactly going cheap either.

I haven't handled one clearly, but it is a true 4" of eye relief, I will add it to my buy to try list.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 3.58.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 3.58.30 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 65
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 3.58.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 3.58.31 PM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 62
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 3.58.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 3.58.33 PM.png
    750.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 3.58.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 3.58.36 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 56
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 3.58.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 3.58.37 PM.png
    671.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 3.58.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 3.58.40 PM.png
    717.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 3.58.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 3.58.43 PM.png
    352.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 3.58.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 3.58.45 PM.png
    296.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 3.58.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 3.58.47 PM.png
    271.2 KB · Views: 56
I just noticed Toric as a pre-order out for a new LPVO, I have one of their other scopes, it is a fine scope with extremely good glass. They are very well build and on par with anything not made in Europe, and even some that are. But for $1100, you aren't exactly going cheap either.

I haven't handled one clearly, but it is a true 4" of eye relief, I will add it to my buy to try list.

I have one of the Tract Toric 1” tube, 2-10x42mm. I had looked through another power range Toric a few years ago, and was favorably impressed. I have not shot the rifle that it goes on, yet. But, informal comparisons it seems like a very good scope. This is the first 1” scope that I have bought in many years. Maybe since last Century .

So, I ordered one of the Toric 1-8x24’s for a 223. The 2-10x42mm gave me enough confidence to buy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babawanjimba

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!