Tactical lever actions - what's the appeal?

I have a 45-70 tactical lever action, and it is an excellent gun. It’s a henry 45-70 X model. As for why i bought it

1) I already had a 45-70 revolver so a matching rifle made sense

2) I plan on supressing it so a threaded barrel from the factory is a requirement

3) the inclusion of a small rail made it easier to add modern attachments I’m accustomed to having on my field rifles. (I love having a pistol grip, and it’s nice to be able to add an ir laser for hog hunting)

So yeah that’s why i got one. And as my shooting buddies will attest my gun looks a little funny up until you actually shoot it and then everything on it makes perfect sense and it feels just right.

@BeeMaa about the 30-30 and 45-70, in some places thems are fightin' words!!
Not much of a fight if the ranges exceed 200 yards. :ROFLMAO:

I understand how beloved lever actions are, but it’s difficult to meld a 130 year old technology with modern expectations.

I’ve been a big proponent of using a lever action within its capabilities to take all manner of game. But there has been very little that’s “new” with this design.

ummmm.. whats the appeal?

:D

Isn't some AR company making a lever version in 5.56 that uses AR mags?
Bond Arms Inc.
1721848091323.png

No doubt the latest John Wick helped more recently, but I think the drivers and the sequencing were more like this:
- Red Dead Redemption video game stirs up interest in lever action rifles (and single action revolvers) among younger men
- ARs and "tactical" style firearms exploding in popularity at the same time
- People start merging the ideas and put rails, polymer furniture and stuff on lever guns, helped along by companies like Ranger Point Precision who make it easy with drop-in parts

Basically it was gun enthusiasts having fun, fueled by businesses who saw the niche opportunity. And like others have mentioned, there are some practical uses for a lever with these modern features.

I like my wood stocked Marlins, but wonder if some of the tactical lever guns are a fallback for manufacturers to have a product to sell in case of an assualt rifle ban at some point in the future. I think if read that there is a lever action lower receiver on or in development that will Accept your AR15 upper.

I like my wood stocked Marlins, but wonder if some of the tactical lever guns are a fallback for manufacturers to have a product to sell in case of an assualt rifle ban at some point in the future. I think if read that there is a lever action lower receiver on or in development that will Accept your AR15 upper.

Don't know how that would work; combining a gas operated semi auto upper with a lever action lower.

Both the two RDR games have made many interested In various weapons from levers to the Evans rifle and other levers there also. And quite a feat that is on do many ways .

Don't know how that would work; combining a gas operated semi auto upper with a lever action lower.

Bond arms. Found a picture, don’t know how it works. Must hook into the bolt carrier group somehow…..?

1721924971467.jpeg

I agree, that's harder to visualize. I think there are straight-pull uppers that can work with an AR-15 lower. They have a different bolt carrier so it's easy to see how that works. Making a lever action lower that works with an AR-15 upper, that would require some way of grabbing the bolt carrier and making it work with the lever. What happens to the charging handle? Questions like that.

So I suppose we could classify "tactical" lever guns into three main groups: 1) traditional lever guns with different attachments and furniture; 2) completely new guns that may re-use some parts like magazines; 3) partial conversions of existing guns like the AR.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BusterKrus