Tactacam for a hippo hunt?

KuduKiller

AH veteran
Joined
Aug 14, 2014
Messages
148
Reaction score
303
Location
Bowling Green
Media
31
Member of
SCI
Hunted
South Africa, Ohio, Texas, Tennessee, Indiana, Mississippi, Louisiana, Maine, Alabama, Georgia, Washington, Wyoming,,, I am sure I missed one or two states.
So I am getting ready for my hippo hunt and I would like to video it somehow. I highly doubt I will be able to have another person other than my PH there so I was thinking a Tactacam maybe? Anyone have any experience with Tactacam or have any other ideas? My PH says the range could be from 10-100 yards.
 
I own and have used a Tactacam 5.0 (long range for rifle, as opposed to the one designed for short range bow hunting).
I’ve used it on tree stand hunts, but not for still hunting like the one you are planning.

Observations:
- there are 2 ways for mounting it. Directly on the scope facing forward or mounting it facing rearward and filming through a periscope. The 2nd option seemed cool as it records what you see through the scope, including the reticle. BUT you loose a lot of eye relief and light transmission. In my experience it’s great for low recoiling rifles.
- it changes the balance of the rifle.
- you can install it canted to the left side of the scope (for right hand shooting). It will enable you to shoot the rifle with both eyes open as it will block you’re left eye when you mount the rifle and will allow the use of the (dominant) right eye.
- you will lose the recording of the shot during the recoil - obviously.
- it has 3 different settings, so you can customize it for 3 different zoom levels depending on the distance to your target. They are fairly easy to select.
- you can have a remote that will allow you to power it on/off and select the modes while you have the rifle mounted to your shoulder on sticks or a backpack.
- it will be an extra step you need to mange during your hunt.

Good luck.
 
So I’ve played around with the Tactacam a bit and it looks like I could get some cool footage if there is no one available to video. The only downfall is my 375 recoil turns the camera on when it is off,,,
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,260
Messages
1,570,903
Members
169,200
Latest member
va3car
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
 
Top